Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Allergy Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 5:39 pm

This is in regards to boxers not bulldogs, but, I am trying to find out some info....I have read somewhere that boxers are known for having really bad allergies and I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this?
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Tami tami tami.. lol What is the little cone head experiencing?? Well you know mine are 1/4 boxer.. and yes.. sasha has some nasty allergies. She is alergic to dust.. so she chews between the pads of her paws raw. Talk to your vet about a safe dosage amount of benedryl for your dogs weight. It has seemed to help her a bit but I don't always give it to her. I also believe she may have a form of food allergy.. her mouth area is very pink as her pics clearly show... the food I have them on now is the least problem causing for her.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 8:19 pm

I was thinking either food or grass. But he has been on this food since I got him and it has only been a problem for the past month or so....which is when the grass really started growing. He itches a little bit but not too bad but he has what looks like poison ivy on a person. It doesn't seem to bother him he is just as playful and onry as ever...he just looks horrible.
Back to top Go down
Boogieman

Boogieman

Male Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 8:48 pm

pitmamma wrote:
I was thinking either food or grass. But he has been on this food since I got him and it has only been a problem for the past month or so....which is when the grass really started growing. He itches a little bit but not too bad but he has what looks like poison ivy on a person. It doesn't seem to bother him he is just as playful and onry as ever...he just looks horrible.
It sounds like folliculitis to me. who knows though. it is treated in the short term with prednisone mostly. if you don't find the cause of the problem though it will continue to re-appear.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 8:54 pm

Thanks Boogie, I am going to look that up now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Boogie does this sound like what you are talking about?

Bacterial Dermatitis (canine folliculitis)

Pyoderma is a common disease in dogs and is caused by bacteria infecting the skin. Most bacterial skin diseases are usually treated with daily oral antibiotics and medicated baths 2-3 times weekly. There are three main types of pyoderma, depending on severity: surface, superficial, and deep.

Surface pyodermas are often called "Hot Spots". This condition causes a painful, inflamed area of skin and usually has a discharge and bad odor. Contributing causes are allergies, parasites, and poor grooming. Lesions often spread rapidly to the surrounding skin. Successful treatment involves controlling the itch with corticosteroids, and sprays and clipping the hair away to prevent spreading.

Superficial pyodermas are deeper infections and frequently have pustules and folliculitis present. They can be recurrent chronic problems. Staph bacteria may be very pruritic and can actually be a cause of allergies in some dogs. Treatment includes antibiotics, and benzoyl peroxide shampoos.

Deep Pyodermas may be localized or generalized, but usually involve the face, feet, and pressure points. The infections frequently drain pus and need long term (4-8 weeks) antibiotic therapy to control ,in addition to the medicated baths. Sometimes immune stimulants, such as immunoreglan or staph lysate, can be given by your veterinarian to help heal these serious infections.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 6:57 pm

OK got the test results back.....poor little Lenny is allergic to himself. The vet said that after treatment who could go on and never have another outbreak or he could have another one in a month or so. So I will just have to wait and see. Hopefully he treatment and meds will work and he will be ok but if he doesn't respond to it or turns around and gets it again real soon, he will probably have to be put down Crying or Very sad Oviously I hope he responds well and stays healthy (even if he has minor outbreaks it can be treated) But if it continues I cannot let him live in misery.
Prayers for little Lennox....
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Prayers and paws crossed for the little conehead to get better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Allergy Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergy Question   Allergy Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Allergy Question
Page 1 of 1