Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feeding Question

Go down 
+3
Dunlap
pitmamma
lovemypits
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 5:22 pm

Okay... so currently I am feeding my dogs diamond naturals large breed. I will also suppliment with some raw food. Is it true it is bad to feed your dog raw and kibble? Say one day I feed diamond, then the next day I feed raw. So far it has really regulated Harley (if you know what I mean), but someone told me you should strictly feed either or. The thing is right now I have no room to store all the raw food (with my freezer being already full of tripe).

Also... if you feed raw do any of you have problems with your dog trying to just swallow it down? What do you do? When I feed my dogs chicken I can give Harley his and he'll chew it up real good. Now Sasha, on the other hand, I have to hold it cuz she just tries to swallow it down. My holding it forces her to take bites and break the bones.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 5:28 pm

It is not harmful to feed both raw and kibble. I heard that somewhere to but they were never able to give a reason other than that is what they heard somewhere.
With Sasha swollowing it whole, if it was boneless I would say just cut it up but with it being a bone, I would just do what you already do and maybe she will eventually slow done.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 6:45 pm

I've been told by others who feed there dogs raw food.....that it's rough on their stomachs if you feed them both raw and dry kibble on a regular basis. I give mine raw meats as treats from time to time, but they eat Diamond foods as their normal diets. I see what I can "dig on" on this and post it here Wink

But about Sasha swallowing the chicken down whole.....just cut it up for her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
Mason

Mason

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 6:59 pm

These are canines, meat eaters and it is not harmful to feed Raw and Kibble. What is harmful is if you mix the raw in with the kibble in one feeding, as their digestive systems will have a hard time trying to break it all down. If you feed dry one day and BARF the next it should not be a problem. I have been doing it for quite a while with no problems.
Back to top Go down
woody d

woody d

Male Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 7:20 pm

one thing i noticed was you said you re using large breed. unless you have some potentially huge apbts, i would stick with adult or puppy depending on your needs. the nutritional needs of a typical apbt arent met with food intended for the big dogs.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 8:42 pm

woody d wrote:
one thing i noticed was you said you re using large breed. unless you have some potentially huge apbts, i would stick with adult or puppy depending on your needs. the nutritional needs of a typical apbt arent met with food intended for the big dogs.

Oh really? See it says 60lbs.. which is what sasha is almost at and harley is above that.
Back to top Go down
woody d

woody d

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 9:03 pm

if 60 is the minimum, and your dogs are barely that, or even say 10-15 lbs over, yes i would switch. just some advice i was given along time ago after a lengthy discussion about proper bone and joint development/maintenance with a vet i know.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 10:27 pm

Okay.. so what should I switch them too? The high performance? Sasha has been keeping her weight on with this kind... I hate to change and then she drops weight again. For some darn reason she just won't keep it on. (And she does not have worms.... I had the vet check for all reasons she was skinny although vet said she looked healthy).
Back to top Go down
Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Honestly with food it is trial and error because some dog does well with different things.

If you re having trouble keeping weight on her I'd say try a higher quality kibble because Raw usually makes it harder to keep weight on very very active dogs IMO

I use both Kibble and Raw. I use premade Raw however because a couple of mine would gulp bones. I feed the Raw and Kibble in different meals
Back to top Go down
woody d

woody d

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 11:17 pm

patch is right, some dogs work well with this food, others require a different approach. age, exercise level, and time of the year have always been a factor with my dogs.plus if they are kept indoors or out. some dogs ive had couldnt keep weight on, and after trial and error i accepted that their true body type is a factor you can only do so much about. i wish i had a link to a site i was reading on about the cons of large breed food with dogs of this size. if i can find it ill post it. it just advice, and iwas just lookin out for ya and your dogs as one apbt lover to the next.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2007 11:36 pm

Thank you, that is why I asked.... some people say she looks healthy.. others say I don't feed her and she is sickly skinny...

Feeding Question April212007011

This one you can see her spine:
Feeding Question April212007002

that is the best pic I can find of her from the side... you can see alot of her ribs.. and her spine definition. Now, on other foods she was even skinnier! I just want to be sure she is as healthy as can be, and I'm sick of people acting like I don't care for her. (Harley doesn't weigh much more.. but his body type/color is differnt and you can't as easily see his size) scratch Could just be the boxer part of her too I guess....
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 5:22 am

lovemypits wrote:
woody d wrote:

Oh really? See it says 60lbs.. which is what sasha is almost at and harley is above that.

i agree with this. the APBT is not considered a large breed dog. technically it is considered medium.
some info in the following link:
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/main.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 7:05 am

Thank you for the information!
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 3:22 pm

LMP, she looks fine. If you have tried other food and she does the best on this one, then that is probably what she needs. Out of all my dogs, I only have one like that. she eats like a cow and is still skinny. Don't worry about what people say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Question   Feeding Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding Question
Page 1 of 1