Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's your opinion

Go down 
+6
apbtproud
CoolHandJean
Masterpiece
Boogieman
midwest_showdogs
alfisher3
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

What's your opinion Empty
PostSubject: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 9:46 pm

I've been reading and researching on the different breeds of pit bulls out there the various strains and different breeds like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, the Swinford Bandogg, and recently the American Bully. I have noticed thru my research that although all of these dogs are have been registered as different breeds in the past but now the American bully is currently being registered as an American Pit Bull Terrier. The basic defination of a pit bull is "any dog capable of performing in a fighting pit", now we do understand that dog fighting is illegal and in no way do I condone it. But what I want to know from users here is should dogs that are not bred to the "pit fighting standards" be registered the same as an American Pit bull Terrier, or should they be registered as a seperate breed of dog. Please give only educated opinions and do not bash the other breeds of pit bulls, this question is for educational purposes only.
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 1:31 am

I have always thought that american bully should be reg in a different manner. With adba or others. I understand that in the past that there were bigger dogs that fought in the pits. but the whole point of what the old dogmen wanted was the tallest dog at the lightest weight. and that didnt mean starved. it meant to have the most athlictic and agiltiy dog in its class. bulky mucsle is not athlictic that is bulk. they looked for long lean but stronght mucsle that the dog could move quickly and be very flexable not heavy and slow. i dont want to bash anyones dog cuz there is enough of that out here in the pit bull world but to say that some of these dog that i have seen now has gotten a little to far as for the conformation of the dog. my personal opinion is that i think adba or some other reg company should reconized theses dog as america bullys or something like that. plus if they do they the bully guys and gals could maybe get to do something with there dogs. like show from a different standard. I hope I didnt make any emenies and its my opinion and as everyone knows the saying.
Back to top Go down
Boogieman

Boogieman

Male Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 3:43 am

alfisher3 wrote:
I've been reading and researching on the different breeds of pit bulls out there the various strains and different breeds like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, the Swinford Bandogg, and recently the American Bully. I have noticed thru my research that although all of these dogs are have been registered as different breeds in the past but now the American bully is currently being registered as an American Pit Bull Terrier. The basic defination of a pit bull is "any dog capable of performing in a fighting pit", now we do understand that dog fighting is illegal and in no way do I condone it. But what I want to know from users here is should dogs that are not bred to the "pit fighting standards" be registered the same as an American Pit bull Terrier, or should they be registered as a seperate breed of dog. Please give only educated opinions and do not bash the other breeds of pit bulls, this question is for educational purposes only.
Well I kind of think you answered part of your own question. See all the breeds you named at the beginning are considered "pit bulls" by many people. Here is where the confusion starts for most people. Pit bull is not a breed! It is a general term that can describe many breeds, including the ones you named and plenty more.

Some of the new bully breeders are registering their dogs as American Bullies through the registry Dave Wilson started. Most of the bully breeders still continue to register thier dogs as American Pit Bull Terriers and anybody that knows anything about the confirmation standard of the APBT can tell by looking these dogs have other breeds mixed in to influence many things. Head size, chest size, shortness, overall size, and color.

So to answer your question, bullies should absolutely NOT be registered as American Pit Bull Terriers. People keep the name because it sells! That's what the majority of bully breeders are all about is selling pups. Not that there aren't the exact same kind of people in every other breed, just saying why they continue to register them as APBT's.

I hope that helps answer your question.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 1:44 pm

So far the opinions seem to be as my own, that the dogs should be registered as a different breed. I think Boogieman makes a great point that money is the main reason these dogs are being passed off as American Pit Bull Terriers as that name alone seems to attract all kinds of attention both good/bad. But I think this is a decent thread so far and the answers that have come forth are very educated and I didn't see any bashing. I hope to see some more responses on this topic.
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

Female Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2007-11-06

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 3:43 pm

as a person who has american bullys and also is in that hole "group" i guess you can call it. we do not call our dogs at the bully shows or to any one else as pits or pit bull either... we call them American Bullys because they are not the standard of pit bulls nor do we want to keep that same standard as of these types of dogs being capibale of fighting in a pit (lol they wouldnt stand a chance) but we dont want that image of these bullies as of being pit bulls because like you guys say they are not they are american bullies the ABKC is a registary that was stared by Dave so that it would be seprate then the american pit bull terriers... ukc still registars these dogs american pit bull terrier and a lot of the bully people registar with the ABKC so they would be called American bullies lol i hope i make sence but i agree with you guys the Amercan Pit Bull Terrier is not the same or does not look the same as a American Bully here... here is a tv clip that kinda explains what im talking about in a sence
http://www.kushtv.com/category/0,178

there are a few videos on there that explain and show what im talking about ... i hope you guys dont hate me because im trying to agree with you that the american bullies are not an American pit Bull Terrier

but i know that some of the Bullies are very athletic and can move there is one that you would look at and say can he even lift his leg... but then you see him work him with sprints ... spring pole, flirt pole and more running excersice this boy he is short and Muscle that you wouldnt believe.. now not every bully is short and fat... but yes some are... i would say that half are but there are many out there that are worked and do a lot of trainning so that they are healthy and can move... you know ! if you want examples i will see if i can get promison from these people to show there pictures and videos off!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/midisandvictor
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 4:45 pm

I think they should be called and registered by the breeds that they are, personally. I have asked people that own the American Bully if they would call it that if it was recognized by ADBA, AADR, UKC, heck, even the AKC, and I have gotten a couple yeses, a bunch of "but I really do believe they are APBTs", and very few (thank God), "no, I like saying I have a Pit Bull"....
I call my American Staffordshire Terrier, an Amstaff, not a Pit Bull, but he is not an APBT...
Like BB has said, the term Pit Bull has become as common as hound or retriever. It doesn't describe just one breed, but a whole group of breeds. Unfortunately, the Average Joe doesn't realize this, and thinks all these "pit bull" attacks are one breed, instead of the 20 or so breeds that are thrown into the category...
Back to top Go down
apbtproud

apbtproud

Female Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm

I think that the American Bullys should have not been registered under same as APBT, I think they should have been named and reg. as what they are"American Bully"
I am glad there is ABKC , but to register a bully with ADBA -shoot he has no chance on winning conformations in the ADBA.
Back to top Go down
http://www.apbt.meetup.com/252
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Great responses everyone!!
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 5:24 pm

yes and a lot of people dont like the ABKC because its not the more common UKC or AKC registary... so (as well as my self) dure registar them as American Bullies and UKC's American Pit Bull Terriers... maybe the UKC and the AKC should catorgories it more you know . i love the breed anyway come but there are different temps even when you get a "game breed" or a American Bully... you know there has been so many changes since the original APBT that i think its lost almost you know ! well thanks for not hatting me lol !
Back to top Go down
Boogieman

Boogieman

Male Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 5:25 pm

Masterpiece wrote:
as a person who has american bullys and also is in that hole "group" i guess you can call it. we do not call our dogs at the bully shows or to any one else as pits or pit bull either... we call them American Bullys because they are not the standard of pit bulls nor do we want to keep that same standard as of these types of dogs being capibale of fighting in a pit (lol they wouldnt stand a chance) but we dont want that image of these bullies as of being pit bulls because like you guys say they are not they are american bullies the ABKC is a registary that was stared by Dave so that it would be seprate then the american pit bull terriers... ukc still registars these dogs american pit bull terrier and a lot of the bully people registar with the ABKC so they would be called American bullies lol i hope i make sence but i agree with you guys the Amercan Pit Bull Terrier is not the same or does not look the same as a American Bully here... here is a tv clip that kinda explains what im talking about in a sence
http://www.kushtv.com/category/0,178

there are a few videos on there that explain and show what im talking about ... i hope you guys dont hate me because im trying to agree with you that the american bullies are not an American pit Bull Terrier

but i know that some of the Bullies are very athletic and can move there is one that you would look at and say can he even lift his leg... but then you see him work him with sprints ... spring pole, flirt pole and more running excersice this boy he is short and Muscle that you wouldnt believe.. now not every bully is short and fat... but yes some are... i would say that half are but there are many out there that are worked and do a lot of trainning so that they are healthy and can move... you know ! if you want examples i will see if i can get promison from these people to show there pictures and videos off!
No man I don't hate anybody with a bully! LOL I don't agree with them being call APBT's is all. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 7:00 pm

ok good! lol i dont agree either but when i first got my first paperd dog i was reall hard core about calling him an American Pit Bull Terrier as well!
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 pm

did any one watch the video's ????? you see me for a second on one of them LOL
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 7:18 pm

well i didn,t read everyone's opinion, But I am a firm believer in standard. So anything that is out of standard should not have been bred and registured as the american pit bull terrier. This is just my personal preference in standard. There is limits you can stop by going outside of standard

I would limit 10 pounds under and 10 pounds over standard should not be mutch more. Georgious is a few pounds under standard at 25 pounds full grown. But she is verry well put together.

These dogs in this standard should be called an american pit bull terrier Which would be bred to the origional standards of the american pit bull terrier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 1:15 am

I agree with BB. I have no problem with the American Bully. My problem arises when people call them APBTs. Otherwise, if people want to own them, and call them by the right breed, then more power to them.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 2:24 pm

I watched the video Masterpiece, I didn't see you, u have to get the exact frame and second so that I'll know who I'm looking to see in the video LOL. Although I'm not a personal fan of the American Bullies I have to admit that those shows pull a nice crowd and it does promote a positive image. But I have one question who is it promoting a positive image for? Because if the dog itself is not a pure-bred APBT bred according to the standard in which they have been bred for the past 150+ years, then who exactly are they promoting the new image for? Is it promoting a positive image for the American Bully? The reason I ask if b/c the commentator repeatedly says that they are cleaning up the Pit Bulls image.
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 3:34 pm

well thank you for looking at the video's i think that because they are still under that pit bull name or generality that no matter if the standard or not we will try and have a good image... you know because they are still being procied as a negative dog, the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Perro de Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, Alano Espanol, Japanese Tosa, Dogue de Bordeaux, Cordoba Fighting Dog, Bull Terrier, Antebellum Bulldog, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, American Bulldog, Boxer (dog), Valley Bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, Renascence Bulldogge, and Banter Bulldogge are all considerd as a "pit bull" to the uneducated eye, media and the every day people. So try to create and image as a postive one and have the media and others see this breed as what they are and not as a general "Pit Bull" and that there is a difference of what you and be see as an APBT and A American Bully... do you know what im saying? lol i no matter the breed if its a true APBT or not but a breed that is listed as a dangerous breed or resembles one we all should promote as a positive image

you should come to a bully show its a lot of fun every one is super nice and just friendly no matter the dog you bring... even great danes people comment about just becuase you came out lol you know i have a blast

in the AZ video after they show Krystal and Brutus (the Fawn huge Remy son) the second time they show her im sitting behind her Victor is at my feet sleeping... lol im in the grey shirt.
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=27807522
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Look like the thread has slowed down, still waiting to see more post.
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 pm

i think i got off the topic a little bit! im going to post this question on another board (club bully) is that cool?
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 3:53 pm

Yeah sure post it on a different forum I think that will give a much broader view of the opinions of this matter.
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 9:42 pm

What you guys didnt like my post want it enough infor im always right dont you know lmbooooo j/k just wanted to post on here to make it always on top lol
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2008 9:53 pm

LOL Mike!
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 4:44 pm

where should i post them???? i have a few now?
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 5:11 pm

You have responses? go ahead and paste them here... (as long as the responses adhere to the rules of this site Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Masterpiece definately post those responses, we would like to hear from other people that do own bullies.
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 5:45 pm

"Here's what I think

APBT/AST x Mastiff/Bulldog = BANDOG

APBT x AST = American Bully

Why do I think AST's are APBT?

Because they originate from the same blood but have been bred for different styles since 1936.

"These dogs began to find their way into America as early as 1870, where they became known as Pit Dog, Pit Bull Terrier, later American Bull Terrier, and still later as Yankee Terrier.

In 1936, they were accepted for registration in the AKC Stud Book as Staffordshire Terriers. The name of the breed was revised effective January 1, 1972 to American Staffordshire Terrier. Breeders in this country had developed a type which is heavier in weight than the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England and the name change was to distinguish them as separate breeds."
http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_s...er/history.cfm

According to the AKC.. AST's n APBT's are the same blood... just different styles.. along with the staffy bull. They even mention the AST's gameness n how its a fighting machine among many many other characteristics that outway that.

So because the APBT and AST have been bred for different styles over the years and have come to a distinct look.. shouldn't the American Bully's have different breeds within itself? The pocket bully is not the same as the XXL n the blood used to create these different bullies are different as well.

So shouldnt the XXL bully be considered a Bandog? or be registered as an XXL bully? or some distinct name?

I believe if the American bully is a breed.. its not really a breed yet cuz it hasnt conformed to a certain standard.

Its just a hybrid APBT.

The true American Bully is the AST/APBT. The reason its registered as an AST or APBT is because the AKC n UKC recognize eachother right? At least I think so. Thats how showlines n game lines can mix but still be dual registered. IMO.. I may have it messed up, but I think thats correct.

Anyways..

You can have an American Bully out of an AST alone.. hows that? Because the American bully is originally just an overdone American Staffordshire Terrier.

People just cheat to get it more overdone more quickly.. n thats what makes this topic most confusing n complex.

BUT ONE thing is certain.. that the American bully will branch into a few different breeds due to the XXL bully n the Pocket bully.
UNLESS THE DEFINITION OF THE AMERICAN BULLY REMAINS AS JUST A HYBRID APBT WITH THE ONLY STANDARD BEING THAT ITS BULLY." clubbully respond!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your opinion   What's your opinion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's your opinion
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next