Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken" Empty
PostSubject: Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken"   Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 2:24 am

heads up, sad....

and just to remind you all, this is reality and DOES happen here in the good ole U.S. of A. sad but true...

At 1.50pm on Monday 19th January, a white station wagon parked in Hodges Bay and two men got out. It was a legalised killing by order of the Chief Vet.

The victim was our pet, not yet two years old, named Badger by our children and the pride and joy of my son Guy.

You couldn?t help but like him ? once you got over his formidable appearance. He hadn?t grown up, he loved to frisk around and play. For anyone who approached him he would roll on his back to have his tummy scratched, his paws crooked in anticipation, his tongue lolling out.

These were not his only unusual qualities as he slept with our black cat, who must have been a parrot in a previous life as he loved to climb up and perch on your shoulder as he was carried around. Anyway they slept curled up together in the corner, or if Badger slept early, the cat, returning from its late prowls, would stretch out on his back.

Just six days previously our two year old granddaughter arrived from New York. She was not used to house pets and for the first couple of days made sure that she stayed beyond the reach of Badger as he was nearly as tall as her and he wanted to nuzzle and lick her. This didn?t stop her from asking repeatedly every day to visit Badger.

She was so fascinated by him and by the fifth day her Mum reported her riding him!

It was on this fateful sixth day, six hours before his death, that after breakfast with much cajoling from her, I took my granddaughter around to see Badger.

After some reticence she approached, patted and kissed him on the cheek. He blinked and shook himself and after my cheering and clapping she kissed him again. So what was the problem, what was his crime, why did he have to die?

His genes were his crime and under section 3(1) and (2) of the Dogs Act, Cap 140, all Pit Bull and Rottweilers also I am told, are to be exterminated. We pleaded suggesting alternatives, but no and no again the law had to be executed ? literally. So with a lump in my throat, causing breaks in my voice, desperately trying to think of what I could do to save him, I untied Badger and put on his leash. Joy, my granddaughter was there to wave bye0byes as I walked him to the car, the officers having agreed not to shoot him on the premises.

So in the cassi, beside the dumped building debris and garbage, as I stroked him, keeping his head turned away from the Inspector with his rifle, Badger was shot through the top of his head, blowing his left eye out of its socket, blood poured as Badger sank slowly down, crumpling as I in my shock and deafness from the bang kept repeating ?You?re free Badger ? You?re free?.

There was a fractional calm, or was it emptiness as I felt for a pulse and finding none took off the lead. Then a wave of anger rose, bitter tears and I was stifling sobs, wanting to scream and lash out in my anguish at this obscene senselessness. Why does a fine animal have to be slaughtered ? why? Who reported him and with what motives or reasons?

So I am writing this account hoping that others may be spared our sadness through ignorance of the law. Do be careful, if your neighbour bears a grudge, so they do not see your pet, as a Pit Bull or Rottweiler on Antiguan or Barbudan soil can be reported and shot on sight.

At least Badger is free of this madness that is today?s Antigua - it is we who must act to help reason prevail.

John Jurgensen
Antigua

Fight BSL EVERY chance you get, for the sake of your dog and mine.

Last edited by suki on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken"   Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 2:32 am

Wow.. very sad. I would not have been able to watch that. Just had to give my two lumps some kisses...
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken"   Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 2:38 am

yea, i cried first time i read it.
very sad truth, huh? Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken"   Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Actual Letter From An Owner Whose Dog Was 'Taken"
Page 1 of 1