Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban Empty
PostSubject: Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban   Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:38 pm

this was posted on myspace i just watned to share!!

Date: Jan 18, 2008 3:46 PM

“First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion. I can only truly represent the people of Senate District 12 if I know what is on your minds, and I always take your correspondence seriously. I have received many phone calls and emails regarding my proposed legislation to ban ownership of pit bulls. These have been educational and informative. Many have offered substantive suggestions on ways to address the problem of vicious dog attacks.”

“My intention in bringing the proposed legislation was to raise awareness of the growing problem of aggressive dog attacks, and that goal has been accomplished. I am now eager to work together with responsible dog owners and animal rights organizations to ensure that Tennessee remains a dog-friendly state while tackling the issue of violent dog attacks and negligent dog owners. Rest assured, however, that it is not my intent to ban the ownership of any particular breed by conscientious dog owners.”

“Thank you again for contacting me. Always feel free to let me know your thoughts and concerns.”

Sincerely,

Tommy Kilby
State Senator

Last edited by on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban   Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:40 pm

What a mature reaction. Glad someone is listening Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban   Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:52 pm

Great!!! Now let's see them do something positive with this.
Back to top Go down
rdowsdirectoratlarge

Male Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: FW: AKC Legislative Alert: UPDATE: TN BSL To Be Held By Spon   Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:58 pm

UPDATE: TN BSL To Be Held By Sponsor!
Print This Article
[Friday, January 18, 2008]

The AKC Canine Legislation Department has spoken with Sen. Kilby’s staff who reported that the bill will not be moved forward with the existing breed-specific language. He and his staff are committed to drafting legislation on the dangerous dog issue that protects the public as well as responsible dog owners.

Senator Kilby thanks all those who have contacted his office to oppose the legislation. He very much appreciates the information that has been shared with him and the fact that our fanciers, enthusiasts, and concerned dog owners did so in a polite and respectful manner.

The Canine Legislation Department looks forward to working with Senator Kilby to develop reasonable, enforceable, non-discriminatory laws and to partnering with him on public education and outreach.

UPDATE: TN Breed Specific Legislation Assigned To Committee

[Friday, January 18, 2008]

Tennessee Senate Bill 2738 has been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Sponsored by Senator Tommy Kilby of Wartburg, this bill proposes to make it a crime to own a "pit bull dog" in the state of Tennessee. It is imperative that all Tennessee concerned dog owners voice their strong opposition to this wrongheaded legislation.

The American Kennel Club supports reasonable, enforceable, non-discriminatory laws to govern the ownership of dogs. We support laws that: establish a fair process by which specific dogs—not certain breeds—are identified as "dangerous" based on stated, measurable actions impose appropriate penalties on irresponsible owners; and establish a well-defined method for dealing with dogs proven to be dangerous. The American Kennel Club strongly opposes any legislation that determines a dog to be "dangerous" based on specific breeds or phenotypic classes of dogs.

SB 2738 proposes to:

Make it a crime for any person to knowingly own a "pit bull dog" in Tennessee.

Define "pit bull dog" as any American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American bulldog, or American Staffordshire Terrier, or any mixed breed dog that contains fifty percent of its lineage from those breeds.

Force any person found guilty of owning a "pit bull dog" to surrender custody and forfeit ownership of the dog to a humane society.
For a copy of this bill, click here.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

It is imperative that Tennessee dog owners contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and voice their strong opposition to SB 2738. Let them know that this discriminatory proposal is wrongheaded.

Senator Mae Beavers, Chair
308 War Memorial Bldg.
Nashville, TN 37243-2017
(615) 754-4632
sen.mae.beavers@legislature.state.tn.us

Senator Doug Jackson, Vice-Chair
10 Legislative Plaza
Nashville, TN 37243-0025
(615) 741-4499
(615) 741-8745 FAX
sen.doug.jackson@legislature.state.tn.us

Senator Jamie Woodson, Secretary
309 War Memorial Bldg.
Nashville, TN 37243-0206
(615) 741-1648
(615) 253-0270 FAX
sen.jamie.woodson@legislature.state.tn.us

Senator Diane Black
306 War Memorial Bldg.
Nashville, TN 37243-0218
(615) 741-1999
sen.diane.black@legislature.state.tn.us

Senator James F. Kyle, Jr.
9A Legislative Plaza
Nashville, TN 37243-0028
(615) 741-4167
(615) 253-0221 FAX
sen.jim.kyle@legislature.state.tn.us

Senator Beverly Marrero
11A Legislative Plaza
Nashville, TN 37243-0030
(615) 741-9128
sen.beverly.marrero@legislature.state.tn.us

Senator Mark Norris
303 War Memorial Bldg.
Nashville, TN 37243-0032
(615) 741-1967
(615) 253-0194 FAX
sen.mark.norris@legislature.state.tn.us

Senator Paul Stanley
302 War Memorial Bldg.
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 741-3036
(615) 741-1005 FAX
sen.paul.stanley@legislature.state.tn.us

Senator John Shelton Wilder
13 Legislative Plaza
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 741-2368
(615) 253-0211 FAX
sen.john.wilder@legislature.state.tn.us

For more information, please contact AKC’s Canine Legislation Department at (919) 816-3720, or e-mail doglaw@akc.org.

A new Legislative Alert has been posted on the AKC's web site. To view this alert, please click on the following link, or cut and paste it into your web browser: http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=3410.

Canine Legislation Department
American Kennel Club
5580 Centerview Drive
Raleigh, NC 27606
(919) 816-3720
(919) 816-4275 FAX

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

++ This message is a service of the American Kennel Club's Canine Legislation department and you are receiving it in response to your request. This information may be reprinted or forwarded appropriately with a citation to AKC.

Please read AKC's Privacy Statement:
http://www.akc.org/about/site/privacystatement.cfm

To unsubscribe:
Please send an e-mail to majordomo@akc.org with the following in the message body.
"unsubscribe legislation <your_email_address_here>"

Our website address is:
http://www.akc.org

Our mailing address is:
American Kennel Club
5580 Centerview Drive
Raleigh, NC 27606
919-816-3720

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban   Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 11:00 pm

I moved the above post to this topic as they are about the same thing in general.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban   Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good news for the Tenn APBT/Bully ban
Page 1 of 1