Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For those who chain their dogs...

Go down 
+3
steven
shadycracker
Dunlap
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

For those who chain their dogs... Empty
PostSubject: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 4:38 am

...what size chains do you use? And why?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 4:40 am

I use 1/8" and 1/4" thick chains and I've never had a problem. They are mostly all 15' but I've got a couple 20 footers and one 25 footer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
shadycracker

shadycracker

Female Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-06-26

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 5:00 am

im not sure how thick x is on a 10 ft cracker is on a 20 only during the day and red is on a cable till she learns she is a pit bull
Back to top Go down
steven

steven

Male Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 6:58 pm

tow chains 2&ahalf in collars only
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 8:14 pm

Tow chains? Do they need to be that big?
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 8:33 pm

1/4" and they are all 15ft. long.

I've read that all you really need is 1/4" for APBTs, and they are 15 ft. long so that they have enough space to enough, and aren't just in the dirt spots they make, they still have plenty of grass.
Back to top Go down
steven

steven

Male Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 6:47 pm

they break any chain less than 880lb test
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Wow, they must be really determined lol.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 7:52 pm

I actually use towing chains as well, I have seen 35lb game dogs snap the smaller chains, I have even saw them snap the heavy duty O-rings like rusty chicken wire, I have since went to large kennels, but when I'm cleaning up they are on large towing chains for their own safety as well as 2.5 inch double ply nylon collars.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Wow I knew they were strong but didn't realize they were that strong.
I have a couple that I am going to have to chain (much to my displeasure) so I was trying to do a little research on what kind and size of chain and hardware to use....
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Well, it's depends a lot on the dog, if you know the dog is capable of causing damage when it's aloose then take the proper precaution, if you feel that dog isn't much a threat if let loose in the yard then you might not need such a large chain.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 10:42 pm

He is a major threat, hence the need to chain him inside his fenced in and electrified yard. But with him he is perfectly fine until he hears the other dogs going at it. And by going at it, I mean playing rough, when they start barking and chasing each other, it drives him crazy. Any other time he is fine. The dogs can be outside and he won't bother them, but when he hears the noise he looses his mind.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 11:33 pm

If he's going to be chained for a extended time period, make sure give him plenty of length but not to much, normally 10-15ft chains are plenty, and make sure he's not near anything he can jump and hang that happens when people mis-calculate the lenth of chain and nearby fence, but I think you have the experience and know how you'll get it right.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 2:32 am

Yep lol, his yard is 25 X 25 and I am going to make it where he is about 1 ft or so from any of the sides.
Back to top Go down
blacksunshine

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-05-30

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 7:44 am

i use 1/4 inch on the mellow dogs and 3/8 chain on the wild ones..make sure it's a high quality chain though.and check it for weak links before you use it. i like to keep the lenth at 10 foot, that gives them about a 21 ft. diameter chain spot. which is way bigger than most any pen(visit your local HSUS or shelter and see what size pens they keep dogs in, it makes for a helluva debate if they ever visit your yard and give you trouble! lol) i like to go bigger on swivels(one on each end of your setup) and connectors. 2 inch double ply collars. and i replace everything once a year whether they need it or not.

(even as anal as i am about equipment, i still have an accident once in awhile. sometimes these dogs are just smarter and tougher than we are!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For those who chain their dogs...   For those who chain their dogs... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For those who chain their dogs...
Page 1 of 1