Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To chain or not to chain?

Go down 
+11
frank ilona
wmssh
yourbiast
Prison Blue Pit Bulls
cdumarce
suki
CoolHandJean
PADogman
marty
lovemypits
pitmamma
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

To chain or not to chain? Empty
PostSubject: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 3:48 pm

What are your views on chaining? Not everyone is in a situation to need to chain, but just getting different views on the topic.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Well, I'm in no position to chain as of right now. But I think that as long as the dogs still get attention, have shelter, access to food and water it's not a bad thing. Also, I hear too many stories of people learning the hard way just how much distance the dog needs to be away from the fence to avoid hanging themselves.

I think each person just needs to evaluate their yard and decide if it's safe and the best for their dogs.

And for those that chain. Why chain over having individual kennels for each dog?

Me personally I like my dogs in the house with me especially at night... but who knows if I lived elsewhere things may be different.
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:34 am

I consider myself as a responsible dog owner, I have 11 dogs that are DA two are kelp as house dogs and are not allowed to be together long at all, IMHO a determine dog will go under, over and through a chained link fence, the only way to confine them is a chain setup if further research is needed I can post it Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.game-dog.com
PADogman

PADogman

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-07-13

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 pm

I prefer a proper chain set up to securely contain my dogs.Alot of bulldogs can escape a kennel... and not everyone can afford a kennel set up especially if you have a large amount of dogs.
I like to keep them on a 10-15 foot chain.Gives them plenty of room to get exercise.Now not everyone has the space to have there dogs on long chains and thats where having them in a kennel might be better if you have limited space.
as long as you provide them with plenty of exercise/socialization, shade from the sun, a dog house from the weather, and clean water and food they'll be happy.
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 7:59 pm

I prefer a proper chain set-up opposed to a kennel inside or a pen outside. Just seems like the dog has more freedoms, and is still properly contained.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:36 pm

I will admit..I have always been extremely opposed to chaining. Until I had a need to do it. Now I have 2 dogs chained and they love it. They look better than they have ever looked. When I get moved they will all be chained. Well most of them anyways.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:30 am

a dog on a sturdy chain set-up, imo, has less chance of escaping, hence lessens the chance of accidents between the dogs. they can exercise more, and i agree, they look physically WAAAY better than ones just kennel confined. with DA dogs i personally feel it's the more responsible thing to do. if you're lucky enuff, and have the room to bring your dogs in at night, then great for you. some people don't have that option~in this case, i say chain, instead of kennel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
cdumarce

cdumarce

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-16

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 4:16 pm

I don't chain my dog (mostly because he's an escape artist) but don't see where i would be a problem as long as they recieve proper attention, access to shelter, food, and water. Ideally though, a dog is a pet and should have access to as much attention as they desire. That is why our dog is primarily a house pet. He does have constant access to our backyard via the doggy door which he and his partner in crime (a Bassett/Retrieve mix) use frequently. I'm not at all wrried about him getting out of the backyard as we have a 6 foot privacy fence that is actually buried a foot into the ground and has a padlock on the gate and an electric fence set up about 3 feet back from the fence (as I said...he's an escape artist and thatswhat it takes to keep him in the yard). He slips out of every type of collar or harness I have found (even gets out of a combination of the 2), jumps a 4-5 foot fence (hence the electric fence...he can't get close enough to have enough speed/height to clear it), digs out of a 6 foot fence whenever possible (thats why its buried a foot in the ground) , and can open doors that swing out (thats why the gate is padlocked). I swear, I think that I should have named him Houdini instead of Ace.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 4:57 pm

LOL... well at least it sounds like you take every precaution to be sure he is well secured in your yard!
Back to top Go down
cdumarce

cdumarce

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-16

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 8:56 pm

well, better safe than sorry right? Oh, and its not actually an electric fence its one of those wireless fence things. Its really for his protection more than anything else. He loves to play and he loves people (especially children), unfortunately most people wouldn't think about the fact that a dog wants to play when you see one running at them. So, taking that into consideration I figured it was easier and ultimately safer to take those precautions than to run into a problem with the neighbors. He did get out a few times at first until we reached the hightened security level that we are now at and have yet to have an escape since we implemented it about 4 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 4:15 am

Gosh, nothing worse than when you have an escape artist for a dog. I made the same joke about our old dog, Stitch that she should be named Houdini. Gosh, she was horrible. She would let herself in the house even. I remember our neighbors having their home for sale and she saw some kids doing cartwheels in the backyard. Next thing I know the real estate agent rings our doorbell and right next to her is Stitch. She couldn't handle not being included in other people's fun. Also I learned very quickly she had to be the first dog to walk that day. I made the mistake of taking Jaws out first, she wound up joining us at the next driveway. I was so mad at her for getting out, but she had this cheerful way about her that you couldn't get upset.
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 4:16 am

suki wrote:
a dog on a sturdy chain set-up, imo, has less chance of escaping, hence lessens the chance of accidents between the dogs. they can exercise more, and i agree, they look physically WAAAY better than ones just kennel confined. with DA dogs i personally feel it's the more responsible thing to do. if you're lucky enuff, and have the room to bring your dogs in at night, then great for you. some people don't have that option~in this case, i say chain, instead of kennel.

I will agree with that. My dogs are kenneled right now and Jaws has gotten out of shape.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 2:20 pm

cdumarce wrote:
well, better safe than sorry right? Oh, and its not actually an electric fence its one of those wireless fence things. Its really for his protection more than anything else. He loves to play and he loves people (especially children), unfortunately most people wouldn't think about the fact that a dog wants to play when you see one running at them. So, taking that into consideration I figured it was easier and ultimately safer to take those precautions than to run into a problem with the neighbors. He did get out a few times at first until we reached the hightened security level that we are now at and have yet to have an escape since we implemented it about 4 years ago.

I do use actual electric fence...like for cows...works like a charm. Not enough of a jolt to hurt them but enough that they only do it once. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 4:43 pm

my parents electric fence used to make the horses fart Razz
Back to top Go down
yourbiast

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: chain   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 4:03 pm

I chain up the dogs but rotate one every month in and out of my house. Just to make sure nothing is going on upstairs in regards to the kids and the dogs. I don't see a problem with chaining a dog as long as the chain is the proper weight, length, and the area is kept clean. I don't like seeing a dog on an extremely heavy chain.
----
my county actually passed an anti-tethering law. I have until August or so to move the set up to kennels. This is expensive, and the timing sucks. Working on getting this done now.
Back to top Go down
wmssh

wmssh

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-26

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:42 pm

my town i live in just passed anti tether law as well, we have til june to move all our dogs indoors or in kennels - most wont stay in kennels and some dont like it inside -
Back to top Go down
yourbiast

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: kennels   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Yeah, I am going to have to figure out a top to go on the ones I am making becuase I have 2 that will go over a 6 ft privacy fence now...maybe some small guage goat wire stuff. dogs wont get caught in it. we will see what it takes
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 4:52 am

We had a girl who would clear our 6 foot chain link fence-total pain!
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 1:29 am

That stinks, wmssh.
Back to top Go down
wmssh

wmssh

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-26

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm

yes and of course they included a new policy of building permits for each kennel erected - more money for them that way
Back to top Go down
frank ilona

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi this is frank from pitbull academy and ther is a few salutions 1 chaining speks is 6meter chain with swivel, chain full extended hook to be one foot from top of fens 2if u dont want to chain but your dog jumps then get a coller very strong 50 mills wide a wooden log about half meter tighten the log so it hangs at the chest acros the front legs every week after 4 weeks put a smoller log on,he wil stop jumping. dogs cant jump if there legs cant lift TRY IT THEN TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK treat them well
Back to top Go down
frank ilona

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 pm

I FORGOT ABOUT THE ELECTRIC 50.000 VOLTS PET PULSSATOR THAT IS ERECTED 2METERS ON THE INNER PERIMETER OF THE YARD NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOUR DOG IS HE WILL STOP AFTER THE 3rd TIME. NO MORE FENCE JUMPINGGOOD LUCK.EVENTUALLY YOU CAN REMOVE IT.....
Back to top Go down
Bosslady

Bosslady

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Chaining if done CORRECTLY is ok. Needs to be an axle, need the right size chain for the dog, smaller for female, larger for big male etc. Needs a swivel at both ends of the chain, and one in the middle, needs an O ring on the collar and you need either 2 narrow collars or 1 wide collar on the dog.
You must have shade, a water bucket they cannot turn over and clean food bowls. A nice dry doghouse with hay or the like in it, OFF the ground several inches.
Rake the chain spot daily and check for rub marks on the dog. I have several on a chain, but I also have covered kennels for when it is really bad weather as well. I also have zip cable lines between big oak trees for a change in scenery. Plus I rotate the outside dogs inside with my inside ones as well. I have 7 APBTs total.
Back to top Go down
duroc drake

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: chain set up   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:41 pm

i keep mine on about a 10ft chain on a 50' cable run. no way i couldn't afford kennels that
would provide the same enclosed footage. they are on grass mostly. i cut the grass weekly or
more often. dont have to pick up dodo. they can run and play.worked great for me
for yrs. mine have shade too.
Back to top Go down
HarleyDuke

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 3:52 am

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his leader, his love.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

This says it all. I think if you can't treat them like your children, then it shouldn't be.
If I had a kennel. It would be a building with outside run. With each inside kennel connected to the same outside kennel. That way it takes less fencing like in separate runs. This would also work on socializing them. Why keep them separate from each other that makes future issues with the dogs. I would never chain my dog. I would never chain my child. All my dogs are inside with me and my children. My wife and I run a home daycare. Its the best way to socialize them. But I'm not stupid enough to leave them unsupervised either though. I house them like I house myself. They deserve it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To chain or not to chain?   To chain or not to chain? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To chain or not to chain?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next