Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are you a Back yard Breeder?

Go down 
+4
turtlebuster100
lovemypits
pitmamma
midwest_showdogs
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Are you a Back yard Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:29 am

Are you a Backyard Breeder?

Originally written by: Sunny Arruda (South Bay Purebred Rescue)
Personalized by: C. Guss (Bastian's Place - Feline & Canine Rescue)

Over 10 million homeless animals are euthanised every year in the United States. The death could easily be stopped by spaying and neutering your pets.

Euthanasia is the single largest cause of death for dogs in the Untied States. Each year 27 million dogs are born. Five to ten million are classified as 'Surplus' and destroyed (killed). That's about one million a
month. These animals are those who 'must' be killed simply because they are unwanted. These numbers do not include the millions of dead dogs scraped off the streets, or the hundreds of thousands of abandoned,
severely neglected or abused dogs who never make it to a shelter to be counted and killed.

Most of these animals are young and healthy; in fact, it is estimated that around 80% are less than one year of age. The problem is simple: we have too many dogs with too few homes available. The solution we have opted for is to kill the 'extras'. This solution has been considered acceptable by default, as though there were no other way to control the crisis and we spend over $1 billion every year destroying 'Man's Best Friend'.

Why is this happening in the United States today? The largest ontributors to this problem are Backyard Breeders and Puppy Mills.

The name 'Backyard Breeder' has become very unpopular. Nobody wants to admit they are a backyard breeder. Many people don't even know they are part of the problem. The only way to stop the needless killing
of dogs is to stop the needless breeding of them.

Every breed of dog recognized by the AKC, UKC or CKC has a written standard, a blueprint of what the dog should look and act like. These standards were written so that all would know what a quality example of
the breed is and strive to produce dogs that meet or exceed the standard in health, temperament and appearance. To be sure that you are breeding dogs that meet these standards, your dogs must be judged by people who have a lifetime of experience among the breed. Do you know the standard of your purebred dog?

Does your dog meet this standard according to an AKC judge? If not, your dog is pet quality. Your dog is to be loved, cherished, trained, cared for, spoiled and bragged about but it is NEVER to be bred. No matter how
cute or sweet the dog may be, if it is not up to the standard, you have no business breeding it.

If you have a purebred dog, this does not give you the right to breed it. Most purebred dogs are not breeding quality. If you breed your pet quality dog, you are a backyard breeder. Whether you breed the dog in your backyard, garage, living room or an expensive hotel room, the term is still backyard breeder. If your pet quality dog has papers (AKC, UKC, CKC), that's nice but it doesn't change anything. You still don't have the
right to breed it.

If your pet quality dog cost you $500 be glad you had the money to afford it. You still don't have the right to breed it.

Do you think that you can make your $500 back if you breed your pet quality dog or if your pet is a color or a size that isn't the breed standard but you just know everyone will want to buy a pup if you breed her? Shame on you! Now you are a backyard breeder with the purpose of peddling pups for bucks.

If the price for a tail dock or an ear crop may seem high to you, what are you going to do when your beloved pet needs an emergency C section? Will you even be there to know if she is in trouble? Would you even be able to recognize the signs before it was too late?

And if you still want to breed your pet quality dog but need to ask who is supposed to cut off the tails and ears, ask yourself "What in the hell am I thinking?"

Do you think genetic testing is something they used in the OJ trial but has nothing to do with your breeding career? You are a backyard breeder.

Backyard breeders sell pup's that aren't up to the standard of the breed. They do this for many reasons. None are good enough reasons to contribute to the killing of the dogs. Period.

Backyard breeders will swear all of their pups went to good homes. They believe this but it's not true. Some may have been luck enough to go to a good home but more than half will end up dead, in a shelter, alone on a cold table with a needle sticking out of their leg. Some of those good homes will get tired of the dog and will just give it away to the first person willing to take it. Some of your beloved dog's children will end
up living alone in a backyard, barking all night, cold and neglected until the owner gets complaints and then the pup will be dead. Some will be starved and beaten. Some will be bred until they die from it.

Some will end up in a rescue and I will have to find space for them. I will have to teach them that not all humans are bad. I will remove their fleas and get rid of their worms. I will have them vaccinated for the first time in their lives because the previous owners neglected to remember. I will spay or neuter the animal to ensure it is not snatched up by someone looking to make a quick buck. I will do all of these things that the previous owner should have done because they didn't want to.

Backyard breeders are not responsible pet owners. They think they love the dogs but that isn't really true because they don't want to bother with all that it takes to breed ethically. They love feeling important when they
say "I breed purebred dogs." but breeding pet quality dogs is not something to be proud of. It is a shame on our society. It is the reason for the death that occurs in shelters. Why do you want to be part of that?

Do you want to be respected? Spay or neuter your pet dog. There is really no other way. The kinds of homes that you want for your pets puppies do not want to purchase a pup from you. They are looking for
responsible, respected breeders who are doing something for the breed as a whole. Most of those who will come running to buy one of your pups are the kind of people I wouldn't give a nasty, aggressive dog to. They
are people who will turn your sweet little puppy into a shelter once the novelty wears off. That is a fact.

Spay or neuter your pets now and tell everyone you know to do the same. Leave breeding to people who are doing something to better the breed. These people breed for quality, not quantity.

Want to be a respected breeder? Do your research and find an individual who is an educated and respected member of the dog breeding world. Ask this person to be your mentor. You need to know what you are doing before you are even ready to begin.
Have a savings account ready for any and all problems that you will encounter. Purchase only top quality bred dogs and plan on showing them. Do everything that your mentor tells you, he/she has the experience and is not just trying to push you around. Be sure that everything you do
as a breeder meets the standards which have been set for responsible breeders.

Or, Don't Breed!
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:35 am

Good post Mike
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:55 am

Mike, I think it's all about education.

First off, when I got my dogs I never had dogs before while my ex had many dogs. So I went more by his knowledge. (or lack there of.. haha). I spayed Sasha right away at 5 months to be sure there were no litters between her and Harley.

Of course, my ex wanted to breed Harley and I was set against it. When we got Princess, he let her and Harley hook up before I could get her spayed. Then my ex was gone. So here I am, no knowledge.. a paralyzed pomeranian, sasha (spayed), princess about to pop puppies, and an intact DA Harley moving from a house in AL to an apartment in WI.

Then is the time I really could have used some help, and guidence. So what do I do? Take Prin to the HS to have her puppies at a foster home. The foster kids fell in love with her, I let them keep her. I had no clue dogs could get abortions, therefor my dog added to the population problem. I mean, the pups were cute .. and all 8 of them were adopted the first day they were put in the kennel at the Humane Society. My cousin even got one.

Now.. i have to deal with knowing that both my dogs (remember they are from the same litter) have heart murmurs... how many of Harley's puppies have murmurs??

So yes.. at one point I was a BYB, although not by choice.. but I guess I was Sad

*disclaimer-harley is now neutered.
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

Male Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 am

YOU SURE HAVE ALOT OF BYB ON THIS SITE
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 am

BYB? not with the chat ,please explain
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:01 am

Oh it's just Captain scatter bred
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 am

TB do you know any of these people....How are you making your determination that they are BYB's?
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:08 am

MOST OF THE FOLKS I TALK WITH FROM THIS SITE DONT KNOW HALF THE crap THEY EVEN WAS TRYING TO TALK ABOUT GAINES POPEYE X GAINES HELLEN PURE GAME BABY
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:11 am

Oh okay....
I still don't know where you are getting the idea that everyone on here is a BYB....
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:11 am

TB I guess I'll call you save the crap between-I got more knowledge of a well game APBT than you can aquire threw all of your books and horrible breeding your doing with the man biting TB dogs>Your lame and who gives you the right to be aggressive with everyone in here----somebody is compensating for something---GAME GAME GAME exactly what do you consider game--those non conformation TB dogs that look like pissed off patterdales--The only good dogs to ever come off TB and Redboy crosses come off of cafferty Poto and Woo
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:23 am

FIRST OF ALL MY DOGS ARE NOT MAN BITERS AND I KNOW MORE ABOUT THE GAME THEN YOU THINK I SHOW YOU WHAT GAME IS I DONT NEED A BOOK TO KNOW YOUR DOGS ARE CRAP JUST TAKE THEM CURS TO THE SHOW YOU WOULD NOT KNOW GAME IF IT BIT YOUR DOG ON THE ASS CHUMP
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:24 am

NAME ONE MAN BITER THAT CAME FROM KENNY GAINES
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:24 am

Somebody needs GOD LMAO!!!
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:26 am

I wouldn't say we have a lot of BYB's although there may be a few.. (whether they post or just lurk) but instead of brow beating them.. how about we try to educate them on a few things??
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:26 am

YOUR DOGS DO LMAO pirat
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:27 am

TB do you know PD's dogs? Have you seen his peds?
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 am

TB you just might be his one and only offspring that biter.

Somebody give this cat a hug
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:29 am

Kelly I agree. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes. And in some of the cases it was years ago...people learn their lessons...see the error of their ways....lol
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:31 am

I TRY@LOVE MY PIT BUT THEY JUST WANT TO START crap
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:35 am

turtlebuster100 wrote:
YOUR DOGS DO LMAO pirat

MY dogs? hmmm.. well I guess you didn't read my post where I stated MY dog was spayed.. where as my EX wouldn't neuter Harley.. hmm.. seems I have possession of Harley now.. and guess what?? He's neutered now!! You can bash my dogs all you want.. doesn't hurt my feelings one little bit. Mine are mixed and I know it. Never try to pass them off as anything other.. nor do I pretend to be a know it all about the breed... I'm here to learn...
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:35 am

YOU STARTED BASHING MY POST DOGS FIRST@DUNLAP WHY DONT YOU SCHOOL YOUR FRINDS IF YOU KNOW SO DAM MUCH Laughing

Last edited by turtlebuster100 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:36 am

There used to be a girl on here that had TB dogs.....I don't know anything about bloodlines and such but the were good lookin' dogs...Yes I know, that is such a girl thing to say, lol.....
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:37 am

I GOT MY DOGS FROM A GIRL LOL
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:38 am

Look it's like this hopefully I've worn you out with acting stupid which is an essence what you sounded like yourself so just relax nobody want to hear us do this we are wasting there time bro
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:41 am

ok i was going to stay out of this but im going to say my 2 cents first of all does anyone remember what this topic is about (no of course not ) so stay on topic please
and just to let you no tb and whoever wants to say anything about my dogs and crap like that i was feeding bulldogs before most of you were born for my father so talk all u want untill maybe one of theses days u might grow up!!!! JMHO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Back yard Breeder?   Are you a Back yard Breeder? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you a Back yard Breeder?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next