Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting out of pit bulls?

Go down 
+11
pocketdunlap
alfisher3
shadowwolf
midwest_showdogs
turtlebuster100
pitmamma
wmssh
Prison Blue Pit Bulls
sf1986
jeremy @ aftershockennels
lovemypits
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Getting out of pit bulls? Empty
PostSubject: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:49 am

I've been hearing a lot lately of people getting out of owning pit bulls.

Am I the only one that seems to be hearing more and more about this? What do you think about it. Are people getting rid of them because so many yards getting busted ( guilty or not guilty ).. the economy.. BSL too much of a hassle or what?

Also, what about shows? Do you think they are as active or sucessful as past years? I had been training my dogs for weight pull here, but seems like they are having problems finding places to participate. One place they had been going for YEARS said they weren't really interested in having the show or pulling there. If the club wanted to bring the dogs okay.. but there would be no prizes.

Do you think this is good or bad for the breed?
Back to top Go down

Male Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:20 am

if we had all breed weight pulls in my state i would own a different breed
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:30 am

jeremy @ aftershockennels wrote:
if we had all breed weight pulls in my state i would own a different breed

Why though?
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 5:24 am

And what breed would you get?
Back to top Go down
sf1986

sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:58 pm

I think people are getting out of pitbulls because of social pressure. It is a psychological burden for an individual to continue doing something when the larger surrounding group objects to it; and the great majority of people will choose not to do things that they want to do, even if it is perfectly legal, if they believe they are surrounded by people who disapprove: social pressure! I think we all can think of things that people would not do in the 1960's because they were socially unacceptable, but people proudly do now because others approve (and visa versa).

Given the hundreds of millions of people who tune in everyday to the same mediums (television, newpapers, radio, magazines, etc), it follows that those who control the mediums have the power to create social pressure for or against anything they choose; the fabricated social pressure dictates for most people how they must behave, practically elliminating free will, in a way that is more powerful than legislation. What concerns me about this is that this power rests in the hands of a few individuals, who have seized the media, do not involve the people in the agenda, and are never held accountable for robbing certain individuals of there civil rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Our social norms are created by dictators! Just think of all of the things we do not do, say, or let be known because of socially engineered norms! Most people believe what they hear and see on the television, radio, newspapers, magazines, books, etc.; and most of the information about Pitbulls spread through the mass media to the general public is very negative. People think the dogs are dangerous. Pitbulls are associated with things that people naturally dislike (i.e. attacks on people, poverty, gangs, illegal drugs, violence). The citizenery are convinced that these dogs have no good use, and most are fearful of the dogs. It is getting more and more difficult for a "free person" to continue thinking and acting freely, pursuing happiness and liberty, in a community whose collective mind has been molded by dictators. I am troubled by what I see happening. However, I am going to continue to think for my self, and owning a pitbull is a sign that I do. I am not going to give that up.
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:58 am

I agree with the post above me. ALot of people are even embarassed to admit what kind of dog they own because of people's reaction. I feel like, good, if you are going to not like me because of the type of dog I own, I wouldn't want to know ou anyway. I have talked to several people about what would happen if the breed were to be banned everywhere and quite a few of them have said "Well I guess I would find another breed". I for one would not, if the breed got banned and I couldn't own a pit bull anywhere, I would call it quits on dogs altogether, i can't imagine owning a different breed. There is no breed that could even compare to the APBT.
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
wmssh

wmssh

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 5:17 am

i thinks shows are down from past years, i heard there are a couple bigger clubs not holding shows this year because of econamy or just lack of interest, there is a small group of people around where i live that has been trying to form a club and hold shows but it has been difficult to find enough people for adba to allow them to form one....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 5:42 am

i dident even register my dogs as apbt's cause when bsl comes knockin the list of pit bulls registered at the A.C. office is stage one

im not going to crop ears anymore i wish none of my dogs were croped

A.C. came to my house today i told them "i dont own any pit bulls check the records at ur office" tank is registered as a bullmastiff mix and saber is registered as a lab mix

its a constant witch hunt around here because 99% of pit bull owners in my city are fu*kin jack a$$es i want to move but this dam economy is hitting me too hard

my city is passing a law to ban pit bulls because of over breeding

i may lose ALL of my dogs if that happens i guess i will set up my fish tanks again

ohh ya the breed i would get would be a cane corso a blue one
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 5:45 am

the adba needs to get rid of that stupid 75 and over class people with 90lb dogs cant compete with the 150lb dogs soooooo the people with the 90lb dogs just move on and get 150lb dogs

there little plan backfired
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:46 am

Cane Corsos are cool. I like the look alot.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 10:49 pm

I think it is a combo of all things listed. The witch hunts are an issue....

The economy is a huge issue right now, with all animals not just ''pits''
I see on craigslist everyday were people are trying to gt ridof all kinds of animals due to the economy.

Shows and pulls are really hurting right now. I think, in the past couple of years, that it has had more to do with the stigma of the breed than anything else. Now the economy will play a big part in it with people not being able to do the traveling.

As far as owning other breeds, I do. Some people feel like the APBT is the only breed they would ever own and that is their choice. I like different breeds for different reasons. So I will always own dogs, even if it is not a bulldog.

OK I will shut up now, lol......
Back to top Go down
sf1986

sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:42 am

No doubt there are many factors. The economy is a big one for sure.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:58 am

So Jeremy. You don't think you'd have similar problems with a Cane Corso as a APBT? I know many times they are also on the ban lists as a bully breed dog. Just curious..

Well since my dogs are mixed I guess I'd say i wouldn't really get out of them.. since I'm not really in them. I guess I'm at a point in my life where to hell what ppl think. When ppl have something to say about "what type of girl owns pit bulls?" I don't even take the time to try to explain. I am sooo boring and an accountant living in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin! lol

I think i will always get whatever dog i choose to own at that time (law allowing of course). The only thing that saddens me is the truly knowledgeable people going to a different breed. Kinda like leaving the breed to the noobies and idiots. Thank goodness i have made a few friendships so i can always ask those people questions.

Personally I'd like to rescue a pit bull if possible (after mine are gone of course), but there are a few other breeds I like also.

I do know that next time I will get into a dog/breed with my eyes open for sure....
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

Male Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:08 pm

MOST OF YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A PIT BULL YOU HAVE A BULLY AND FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE PIT BULLS STAND BY YOUR BREED TO MANY FAKE ASS PEOPLE GET A DOG JUST BRCAUSRE OF ITS NAME WE DONT NEED MORE PEOPLE GIVING UP ON THE BEST DAM BREED IN THE WORLD Suspect
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm

GO FIND OTHER BREEDS TO **** UP
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 pm

Hmm.. Turtlebuster.. is your comment directed mainly toward those on this board or just those posting or any guests also reading? I don't think I could agree that most dogs here are bullys. I would say most dogs on this board are breed standard. I for one have mixed 1/2 pit bull, 1/4 american bulldog, 1/4 boxer, two from the same litter.

I will say though that whether someone has a registered APBT or a bully, or non-registered, rescued, or mix..... we all face the same problem. Uneducated people trying to put bans and restrictions on our dogs.

I can also agree that many people get pit bulls just to say.. "I have a pit bull... " look how cool I am....
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:17 pm

I for one are glad some of theses worthless people get out of theses dogs. what is wrong with this breed is every tom ,dick and harry has one, And most cant or dont raise there own dang kid let only a dog. I think its will be a good thing that theses wanna be's get out and do something else. Maybe the people that has a little knowledge and respect for this breed might be able to fix some of the problems that have raise there ugly head . JMHO!
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Great post Mike!
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:55 am

midwest_showdogs wrote:
I for one are glad some of theses worthless people get out of theses dogs. what is wrong with this breed is every tom ,dick and harry has one, And most cant or dont raise there own dang kid let only a dog. I think its will be a good thing that theses wanna be's get out and do something else. Maybe the people that has a little knowledge and respect for this breed might be able to fix some of the problems that have raise there ugly head . JMHO!

I agree with this alot. I live in pitbull friendly apartments and will admit I am not perfect but the other tenants who own pit bulls here are downright idiotic. They let their dogs run around the complex off leash, can't control their dogs and one family has bred their 6 year old bitch 7 times! My husband and I both feel that everyone hates the breed because most owners are completely reckless. One stupid girl here let her dog run out of her apartment and it tried to fight my dog and she had the balls to act like I was a bitch for being upset at her "Accident".
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:05 am

turtlebuster100 wrote:
MOST OF YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A PIT BULL YOU HAVE A BULLY AND FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE PIT BULLS STAND BY YOUR BREED TO MANY FAKE ASS PEOPLE GET A DOG JUST BRCAUSRE OF ITS NAME WE DONT NEED MORE PEOPLE GIVING UP ON THE BEST DAM BREED IN THE WORLD Suspect

You're absolutely excused. Shocked It's beyond rude to come onto this forum and say that most of the people on this forum have bullies. Regardless of a persons personal choice, it is not up to you to bash them.

And a side note...I do NOT have bullies, so I must be one of those rare people here. Laughing

Lyric at the Detroit Show & Pull Club's November 08 AADR show...
Getting out of pit bulls? Lyricpaper-aadrmi-nov08

Ryker, my male, at the same show...
Getting out of pit bulls? Ryker10-aadrmi-nov08

And my old lady, Luna, too!
Getting out of pit bulls? Luna-aadrmi-nov08
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:02 pm

I'm not sure what to say about this post, but to each his/her own, if a person choose not to own a game dog so be it, honestly most owners that are new to the breed probably should not start by owning a game bred dog, as they require supervision beyond the norm of a general staffie. But to try and express your point in such a rude manner is not acceptable b/c those owners love their dogs just as much as the next person. And not to call you out on anything but I wonder if your just internet trained yourself = meaning read a few blogs and dogman stories and figure that makes you a dogman, I could be wrong, but I get the sense your not the dogman you lead us to beleive. And if you want to test my knowledge and devotion of the breed, send me a PM I'll gladly call and talk about anything dealing w/ the breed that interest you.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 2:23 pm

Turtle, it is true some of our members have bullies...some of us have APBT's and AmStaff's. But as I am sure you are well aware, when BSL comes knockin, they do not care what type of bulldog you have. In their eyes they are one in the same.
I also agree on your point that the different breeds need to stay true to what they are, as to not **** up the gene pool. BUT many people on here and out in the world have these mixed breeds because they were adopted, saved from some horrible situation, or were 'mistakes' (as you will) that have been learned from. With that being said, some people like a breed that is crossed with something else, if it was done to serve a particular purpose. So what is a **** up in your eyes, could have very well been someone else's well thought out plan (wether you agree or not, it is what it is).......

PS...amongst my many many dogs, I have a pitbull/great dane mix. He was not my plan but a 10 day old pup that I rescued from a horse barn and probably a horrible death. He is now a little over 4 yrs old and one of the best dogs I could ever hope to own. I now just wish I could have got the rest of the litter beforethey were given away. Would I ever breed this dog.... nope I got him 'fixed' but I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 2:02 am

you guys have not got out of pit bull yet dam pig
Back to top Go down
turtlebuster100
2xwarned

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 2:06 am

just because you have a pit bull your not a dog man and if you know so much why dont you school some of the dumb ass people on here Laughing
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 6:18 am

turtlebuster100 wrote:
just because you have a pit bull your not a dog man and if you know so much why dont you school some of the dumb ass people on here Laughing

Hmm.. who is saying they are a dog man in this thread? I think I know a few people on this board that know quite a bit about the breed, but who really goes around bragging thinking they are the sh!t and know all there is to know? If you know so much why don't YOU school some of us dumb asses?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of pit bulls?   Getting out of pit bulls? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting out of pit bulls?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next