Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is breeding for color???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

What is breeding for color??? Empty
PostSubject: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Recently I had a conversation with a lady that breed pit bulls and her yard was mostly of blue dogs she insist that she does not breed for the blue color, but surprisingly her dogs are all blue or a shade of blue in color. And when she has pups, the ones that are not blue she sales for a much cheaper price than those that are blue. Am I wrong in thinking that she's simply breeding for a blue coat and money?
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Ant I would have to agree with you $$$$$...
I could play devel's advocate for about one second.....Maybe the 'type' of dogs she likes (bloodlines) just happen to throw blue dogs. And maybe she sells the other's (non-blue) cheaper because she is afraid they will not sell at regular price and does not want to get stuck with the leftovers.
Ha Ha that was pretty funny right.........
When I am talking to someone and they tell me the females are more than the males or vice versa, all I can do is grin. IMO, one sex is not any more valuable than the other...just as one color is not any more valuable than another.
But hey what do I know.
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:16 pm

sometimes ppl look at the females is worth more cuz u can make more money off the female cuz of pups but anyways thats the thing on that but what i cant understand is when ppl say first pick is say 1000 and second is 800 and so forth and so on i know if i was breeding dogs i would like to belive my first pick would be the same quality as the last pick i know some dogs that is produce are not the same quality but maybe that person shouldnt breed them dogs. i know when i see that i really dont want a dog from that person cuz if you dont get the first pick then i guess all others are junk but heck who knows. but yeah ant shes breeding for colors period
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 am

Mike I understand what you are saying....but then that goes against..the not breeding for $$ thing.
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 5:31 am

I know one person who priced "pick" about $500 more than the others because he wanted to keep it!
I think it definitely sounds like she's breeding for color, I don't think blues should cost anymore than any other color. I know that some people think blues are "rare' or "special". I used to think they were uncommon as well, but once I got into shows it seems blues are as common as the red. So when I bought my last puppy, I picked a little white headed brindle and to me he's way more handsome than anybody's blue-IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I can also see why certain bloodlines would cost more, then say a BBB who doesnt really know what they have...or they may know what they have but they have not been proven in any way. But color should not be a factor in pricing.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 11:50 pm

alfisher3 wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that she's simply breeding for a blue coat and money?

probably not.
but since i like to see the positive in people, perhaps she just thinks, like so many other people, that blue pit bulls are "rare and unique" (when in fact, quite the opposite is true,) and figures they're something special, hence the higher price. typically, "blue" pit bulls ARE bred for color, disregarding potential health problems~ many of blue breeders are out to make a buck on these dogs while they tend to ignore what's really important regarding this breed:
as breeders, are these people, or do these people have:

Do theses breeders actually do something with their dogs. Their dogs are show dogs, sport dogs, etc... and they have titles to prove it.

Pups' pedigrees are filled with dogs who have obtained show titles/working certificates; never breeds dogs without "papers"

Supports Pitbull rescue. What? They actually care about the breed? Yes. If they don't support rescue directly or the idea of rescue. They need to really look at why they are breeding.

Knowledgeable about EVERY aspect of breed, including health issues/defects; they research genetics and health issues when choosing their breedings.

Offer continued help with their dogs. If you have a question, you should be able to pick up the phone or sign online (email) and get an answer. For the lifetime of your pup. the LIFE time!!!!

Have a list of reputable references. If they can't provide you with at least 5 or 10 references, leave.

Breedings are planned 1 to 2 years in advance, and females, imo, should be at least three years of age.

Does all genetic testing and does not breed dogs that have not been completely tested and shown free of common defects.

They're interested in you, the potential buyer~what you're like and what type of home/environment you'll be providing for your new pet.

so, yeah, imo, it sounds like her "motives" are, imo, questionable, at best. cuz i wonder how many of the above quaestions she can HONESTLY answer....
i recently acquired a "blue" pit bull. Breeder was asking 800.00 for him. (yeah, sigh, due to his, cough.... "color". he's an awesome awesome dog~is turning out GREAT!!!! but VERY long story short, i paid not a penny for him, "blue" or not!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Great post as always Suki....
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 2:42 am

^ Cool thank you.
if i had to summize it in just one sentence, then i'd have to say, ... what rules: the love of money or the betterment of the breed?

all of the above thoughts/questions should be able to be answered, *NO* problem... no hesitation...
hopefully any body who's "questionable" will be easy to spot. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is breeding for color???   What is breeding for color??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is breeding for color???
Page 1 of 1