Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Food Ingredients

Go down 
+2
shadowwolf
lovemypits
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Food Ingredients Empty
PostSubject: Food Ingredients   Food Ingredients Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Just wondering what you all think of these ingredients in this food. Does it look like something you would feed your dog? Or no. If so, why or why not. Like what ingredients look good/bad?? Just doing some research here. Thanks in advance....

Lamb, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole ground grain sorghum, brewers rice, ground barley, chicken fat (reserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, carrots, natural flavor, ground flaxseed, peas, potassium chloride, dried eggs product, brewers dried yeast, salt, blueberry pomace, monocalcium phosphate, taurine, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, choline chloride, proteinated minerals (zinc, manganese, copper), niacin, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6) menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), sodium selenite, calcium iodate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Food Ingredients Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Ingredients   Food Ingredients Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 3:58 pm

- whole ground grain sorghum (wheat derivitive - garbage)
- brewers rice (white rice/no nutritional value - garbage)
- menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity) - artificial vitamin K - VERY bad.
- dried beet pulp (from a sugar beet - just adds sugar, though they say it's for fiber)

Many, if not all, of the vitamins are artificial - at least the water soluable ones and they will be diminished with extreme heat as far as amounts.

Not anything I'd personally touch with a 10ft pole, but I'm impressed with at least the first two ingredients being an actual meat.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

Food Ingredients Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Ingredients   Food Ingredients Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Looks just as good as most other feeds I've looked at on the market, no matter how expensive a feed is or good as it claims are, the truth is non of it is human grade, if it wear people would be eating dog food, instead of scapping money trying to buy a meal during hard times, the avg. life-span for any pit bull is about 12 years, some live a bit longer some shorter, all the talk about good/bad nutrition with dog feed is really just for marketing purposes of the Pet Food industry to sale a kibble that comes from the by products of our human grade leftovers. If this isn't the truth, explain why dogs in the old days lived the same life-span and maybe a bit longer than our beloved pets of today who are fed these "nutritional" brands of pet feed. It's all marketing, I say if your dog eats it, and he looks good and feel good, keep on feeding.
Back to top Go down
Attila

Attila

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-05-26

Food Ingredients Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Ingredients   Food Ingredients Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 4:35 am

well with both human and animal feed. It is much better to have organic natural grown foods. Not processed, pumped full of chemicals or full of sugars, salts and what ever else they can pack in there to take up space.

But as far as kibble goes it looks like it should do the task intended. Aniamls like humans all do better on different diets. What works for one dog may not another. Just like us. And like us junk feed just makes you fat, sloppy, sickly, with greasy hair. and for some it will make them deadly thin. So avoid it for you and your dogs.
Back to top Go down
Kelvin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Food Ingredients Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Ingredients   Food Ingredients Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:55 am

lol! Hi....,
I understand that there isn't one perfect dog food out there, but which ingredients should I look for when selecting dog food for an active, large dog? Which ingredients should be first on the ingredients list? Is it true that corn and rice products in food are just fillers and don't have any nutritional value?

Food Ingredients Puppy-dog-cartoon-character-with-collar
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

Food Ingredients Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Ingredients   Food Ingredients Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 5:01 am

Kelvin wrote:
lol! Hi....,
I understand that there isn't one perfect dog food out there, but which ingredients should I look for when selecting dog food for an active, large dog? Which ingredients should be first on the ingredients list? Is it true that corn and rice products in food are just fillers and don't have any nutritional value?

Food Ingredients Puppy-dog-cartoon-character-with-collar

Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com for more information - the higher the star rating, the better the food. I personally feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Food Ingredients Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Ingredients   Food Ingredients Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Kelvin that is the million dollar question. Every person you ask will tell you something different. For me..it is trial and error. Find something that looks decent and in your price range, and see how the dog does on it. Might take a couple of different ones to find the one that the dog does best on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Food Ingredients Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Ingredients   Food Ingredients Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food Ingredients
Page 1 of 1