Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one

Go down 
+5
lovemypits
CoolHandJean
willypete
bullygirl807
sedaliapridekennels
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Empty
PostSubject: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 9:17 pm

Ok thought i would bring this up. It seems a few people think that this breed is ment to attack and bite. Well I wanted to post my opinion on this. This breed is 100% its owner

IMO no dog should be left alive that bites its owner or another human....

Responsable ownership also falls into this factor. If you are a responsable owner then your dog will be a great dog till the day it dies.

If you have a dog that bites Please do us all the favor and cull it. There is no room in today's world to have another man biter.

I have never owned a man biter. I raise my kids with my dogs and my kids go out play and feed all my dogs.

Now Socalization. If you cant socalize your dog dont own one perioud.

I would like to see what everyone thinks about this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
bullygirl807

bullygirl807

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 9:34 pm

I agree with you 100% Sedalia. If you can't be a responsible owner, then don't buy a dog (of any kind for that matter). Owning an APBT is a privilege. I can only encourage anyone that is looking into owning a pitbull to do their research before hand. They require alot of hard work and dedication.

As for a man biter, I too feel they should be culled. This breed has suffered tremendously from bad ownership and irresponsibility. What most fail to realize is that if it doesn't stop, the breed is going to fall into extinction.

I just feel at a loss because its hard for people like myself and allof us here in the forum to be able to enjoy the breed and all it has to offer. It's not just the breed that suffers but the RESPONSIBLE owners do too.
Back to top Go down
willypete

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 1:41 am

The breeds largest problem today is the "pet owners" and the poorly educated people educateing other people with crap they read in books written by people with limited understanding of these dogs.
I have sat and watched people use terms like " ITS HOW YOU RAISE THEM" its not true you can not raise a bull dog to be a collie and you cant raise a collie to be a battle dog .
Or they will say things like "PIT BULLS MAKE GREAT PETS" yeah right hamsters are great pets ,,bull dogs are a ton or responsblelity that come with many hidden problems.
Alot people believe you can train and socalize the APBT into a safe animal to be around other animals and people and will not have any agressive problems. that is just not true . some APBT can be great with people and even other dogs but never is it safe . i know a trainer of the highest quality and he will be the first one to tell you the APBT can not be trained away from what comes natrually to him.
You can controll it at the time when you are with him but the bulldog can at any time return .
I F YOU LEAVE YOUR KIDS ALONE WITH A DOG ANY DOG THEN YOU ARE STUPID . all dogs have the ability to hurt kids and kids are never hurt by mean dogs its allways the dog that has allways been good and never shown to be agressive BEFORE . Some people would like to say its the dog fighters that have created this problem once again that is far from the trueth . or its those dogs left on the chain all ther lives these dogs were created in this way and by the way you will never here a dog fighter say ta dog killed my kid . but you allways see the poor pet owner on TV saying he never acted like that before i dont know its like he just snapped . ................If the pet owners get any of what i am trying to say please let it be this the APBT is hands down the greatest dog on earth . But its no saint any of them . Some are going to asy who dose this guy think he is saying all this crap he just dont know my dogs . yeah maybe right but i have a mountain of old timers that will back me up and agree with what i am saying .

by the way a man biter has its place in the world to. not at my house but it has its place .

your kids are worth mor than all the dogs on earth dont risk it . i wrote this in a room with 2 cats a patterdale and pitbull they all seem to be fine do you think i could leave them alone i dont think so. not trying to make anyone mad ................willypete
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 1:42 am

I agree. If any of my dogs ever bite at me, then it will be goodnight pup.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 5:07 am

I think all have great points here, I will add mine.

pet 1 (pt)
n.
1. An animal kept for amusement or companionship.
2. An object of the affections.
3. A person especially loved or indulged; a favorite:

IMO, bully breed dogs can make good pets. Mine even stay in the house with me, all the time. They even sleep in my bed. Did I know anything about pit bulls when I got them two years ago? No. I wanted boxers, little did I know their mom was a pit bull. That is why I joined forums, to learn. And no, I don't listen to everything everyone says.

I am always willing to learn and can admit there are things I need to learn. The problem is people that get bully breed dogs and want to "help" them. There "helping" consists of taking them to dog parks and letting them run loose with other dogs while they sit and sip coffee somewhere not paying attention to their dog.

I don't think these dogs should HAVE to live outside. I think they can co-exist in their owners homes, with the family. Do I think any breed of dog should be left alone with little kids? No, of course not. With proper supervision and even crating and rotating, dogs can live in the house and be safe.

Can a pit bull kill someone? Yes, fine we know that. But that does not mean they all are going to. The dog needs proper training so it knows who it's boss is, but at the end of the day... a dog is a dog is a dog. In some respects I think it is partly how you "raise" the dog. I think there is a difference in a dog raised in a house and a dog raised on a chain.

Now I have grown to respect the breed. To me they are the best, loyal, smart, hard working, and live to please. I know I will always have a pit bull from now on. And I know no matter how long I do have the breed, there will ALWAYS be more to learn about them.
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 8:30 pm

Very good...The only thing I disagree with is this comment "I think there is a difference in a dog raised in a house and a dog raised on a chain. "...
Whether raised on a chain or raised in a house, it depends on the attention you give it, and the exercise you give it. I have male that stays in the house with us, and the rest of the dogs stay outside on their chain set-ups. They all get the same amount of exercise, and I try to make sure they all get the same amount of petting and discipline...
However, I know people who have inside dogs that are unruly because they aren't disciplined, and I know people who have chain dogs that are unruly because they aren't disciplined. Whether your dog is an inside or outside dog, doesn't matter. In the end all the matters is how well you take care of it...
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 8:38 pm

You are right.. and I agree. Maybe I should have clarified. By a dog raised on a chain I mean just any old dog living out there on a chain.. throw it some food, maybe some water... otherwise leaving it. That is what I meant by living on a chain. I think there is a difference in the dog if it gets attention and proper care I think it can be a good dog.
Back to top Go down
willypete

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 12:35 am

lovemypits wrote:
You are right.. and I agree. Maybe I should have clarified. By a dog raised on a chain I mean just any old dog living out there on a chain.. throw it some food, maybe some water... otherwise leaving it. That is what I meant by living on a chain. I think there is a difference in the dog if it gets attention and proper care I think it can be a good dog.

what is the difference in a dog raised on a chain and a dog raised in the house ? you people forget that these dogs have been chain dogs long before people tried to make pets out of them . you think these great dogs were brought about by living the good life under its owners feet . you really have a lot of learning to do. The APBT's qualities every one loves to quote( "To me they are the best, loyal, smart, hard working, and live to please. ") these great qualoties were bred into chain dogs not sofa surfers . statements like that are a insult to dogmen ...DONT sit there and say i love the dog but hate the creator . ilove what you made but hate how you did it. Remember the dogs you have today are the offspring or the dogs that could live there lives on a chain stress free and happy. I do not know you but i can tell that you have a deep love for these dogs and have nothing but respect for you . please dont take any thing i write as a insult..
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:31 am

Well i have to comment on this.. We as pit bull owners need to be better than our predessors we cant kept thinking and doing what they did. we owe everything to them but we cant kept doing things with theses dogs like that or we "ARE GOING TO LOSE THEM PERIOD" i go to to many city meeting were and all i get is they are mean they are dog fighters all people that own them are drug dealers and thugs. im tired of hearing all of this. We as owners need to make sure that all people that thinks they want a bulldog knows that they only need to do things with there dog that brings out the light instead of the bad things that has haunted us for years all i hear is that he or she will kill you if you get close. me personally i always will make sure my dogs are very well socialized with people and other dogs and animals. i dont care if there in the house. now im not bashing the dogmen of old my grandfather and my dad was dogmen of old and they put dogs on chains and pretty much made them cattle. but we have to make sure that we dont make the mistakes that our parents did. its time to change . if you trained and socialize the dogs you will have success no what. i know i have seen pitbulls do alot of amazing things with training. the difference between chain or house the dog dont get the life experiences that they need to no what to expect. they will be use to everything. now with that said i to have my dogs out side on chains when im home for about 5 or 6 hrs a night its good for them to get exerzise but they have to have people touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by the way in the history not all dogs were just fighters thay were peoples pets to so i dont think that all the dogs in the past were all chains dogs they were couch potatoes and they were in the house to.dont take this as a insult but i had to say what was on my mine. thank you
"JUST REMEMBER WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER"
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:51 am

I never take anything as an insult as most here don't know eachother or their dogs... personally. (some of us do). I do have a lot to learn, hence the reason I am on these forums. I feel that no matter how long you have been around the breed you can always learn something.

You're right, dogs can live on a chain and be happy. But I also think that the dog should have socialization. If a person has a dog they should pay more attention to it than just feeding it. That was my point. The dog does not have to be in the house or a sofa surfer Wink to have socialization. Yes, I realize what the history is of the dog and what made it the breed it is... otherwise they would be labs or something similar. But that does not mean I support it today either.

This is a different world we live in today. Things that go on now that happend before isn't accepted anymore... it's illegal. And people that are engaging in activities are getting our dogs banned and killed. This just adds to the uneducated people that think they are helping the breed by treating them like they are on the same level as puggles or something like that.

I can respect people that have their dogs in different environments, I think we have a wide variety of that here. I personally moved to a duplex and can not keep my dogs outside with out me being there... they are inside dogs most of the time. Which is why I am trying to get them into events to keep their minds sharp.. so to say. But it is what makes me happy, and I know my dogs are very happy. I may have rambled there for a bit..
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 am

Very good points made, esp. LMP. I don't have a problem with chained dogs or coach surfers. Different situations call for different containment options. I personally don't chain at this time but may at some point in time, if need be. I do have dogs that stay in the house as well as dogs that stay out. Socialization is key.
Back to top Go down
wheezie wayne

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 6:21 pm

genetics will always play the bigest roll when it comes to temperment. no amount of training can make up for a unstable dog. two major things are destroying this breed.... uneducated irresposnible owners, and bad breeding. any HA dog imo should be culled. As a person who trains in schutzhund i need a stable dog with great temperment and would not train any HA animals. i dont see a problem for chained dogs as long as the y get the attention and exercise they need.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 12:19 am

At first glance....I thought I was gonna have to close this thread and thought the drama was gonna get kicked off here. But as I read more, I was......"pleased", to say the least.

I'm glad you members can act civil with one another and "disagree" like adults here......thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 1:02 am

Dunlap wrote:
At first glance....I thought I was gonna have to close this thread and thought the drama was gonna get kicked off here. But as I read more, I was......"pleased", to say the least.

I'm glad you members can act civil with one another and "disagree" like adults here......thank you Smile

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one   Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Learning and knowing this breed before you buy one
Page 1 of 1