Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to Feed a Large Breed Dog

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Empty
PostSubject: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 7:39 pm

I was wondering what others might think on how much to feed a young dog? Do you feed him the amount of food you think is appropiate for his/her current weight or do you feed a young pup the amount of food that you think he/she will eventually eat at the point of maturity. Give me your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:46 pm

welp, i yes, would feed a dog based on it's age and weight, but also i personally feel it's dependant upon the particular dog, and what type of food you choose to feed. point being, some feeds are high in calories, but low as far as a dog's nutritional needs go. wet food had a tendency to be primarily made up of water.... is the dog active, a working breed, in good shape, or is he/she over or under weight? see what i'm saying? so it varies.
most manufacturers will list their own "recommended" amounts to feed, based on what they put into their feed, on the sides of their packaging . so, pretty much you can use their guidelines on your dogs. but again, it is SIMPLY a guideline and ONLY that. but yeah, for now, a young dog should have its nutritional daily needs met, based, but NOT solely on JUST their weight. again, many factors kick-in here...
i would personally like to see a dog a little under fed then over. you can always add as you go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
jeremy @ aftershockennels

Male Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 6:06 pm

lots of small meals so there allways digesting
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks Jeremy is it kind of the same as with an professional athlete, you know you feed them according to the weight and size that you expect to acheive as oppose to using current weight and statue to guess the feeding regime.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 am

well, depending on their age "lots" of small meals should actually be about 3 or 4 SMALL ones.

and a pup's amount of food per feeding should not be equated/related to a human's feed regiment.

feed should be given, as mentioned by a dog's current weight, NOT what the dog is expected, weight-wise, to EVENTUALLY , at a mature age, obtain, primarily due to pups STILLbeing in their developing stages, and when you OVER feed, since their, tendons, muscles ligaments=soft tissue grows faster than their bones/skeltons do, overfeeding can cause potential unnecessary health problems down the road.
why would you feed, say a 35 lb pup, whose mature weight will be about 60 lbs, feed for 60 lbs????
it's WAAY too much food for his age and his weight....
i'm curious why you guys think this way? what health benefits are there for this dog?
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 2:20 am

Well the dog is actually 11mth he's a dobie current weight 71.6lbs, expected weight about 88-90lbs or so. He's a work a holic for sure, pretty good all around dog and looks great. I was just curious should I feed him more with his current feed or up him a cup to mature levels, reason being some would argue that a younger dog requires more food than adult dog and more than older dogs. But feeding 3 or 4 times a day I think would be a bit excessive and I don't have that much time of day to work in 3 or 4 small meals a day. But 2 meals I can do, what I've been doing lately is feeing half his daily amount in the morning the other half in the evening after walking/training.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 am

90lbs u aint gonna hurt nuthin unless he is morbidly obese

i feed saber every 3hrs just like a body builder its called anibolic state google it read up

mammals can only absorbe so much protien per hr then they crap out the extra

i do 1 cup of evo then a hot dog then an egg then whey then more evo..........ect

tuna is good too
Back to top Go down
smoke

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 3:42 pm

whats the lightest you could get sabre to jeremy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 9:38 pm

hes allways at 94lbs (14months old) if i could just get my hands on a treadmill i could trim about 3-4lbs off him
Back to top Go down
smoke

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 6:06 pm

wow I was gonna guess more, pictures are kinda hard to go off of. yeah weight pull looks like his best bet
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 pm

ok, now i see.
i don't deem an 11 month old as that young. i was thinking the dog was only a few months old
and yeah, pups generally just need more protein than adult dogs do, so yeah, up-ing the protein is fine.
but still, imo, it's better to underfeed than overfeed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Feed a Large Breed Dog   How to Feed a Large Breed Dog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Feed a Large Breed Dog
Page 1 of 1