Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Adrianne

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-03-07

Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later! Empty
PostSubject: Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later!   Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 1:26 am

Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/08/03/reunion_0804_web.html
By RHONDA COOK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/03/07

Sheena had grown. The yellow Pit Bull-Terrier mix was twice her size since John McGee left her in a holding area at the New Orleans Dome as Hurricane Katrina crashed down.

Almost two years later, a rescue group based in New York posted a number on the door of McGee's damaged house a poster with Sheena's picture and a plea to "please call."

John McGee and his dog, Sheena, arrive in Atlanta at DeKalb Peachtree Airport on Friday after being separated since Hurricane Katrina hit McGee's home in New Orleans.

On Friday McGee was reunited with his now almost-3-year-old dog after flying from Atlanta to Wainscott, N.Y., on a private jet provided by a "benefactor" in Atlanta, according to Michele Forrester, director of operations at the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons.

McGee said he and Sheena will drive back to Bonham, Texas, northeast of Dallas, after they spend a few more days with McGee's son who lives in Riverdale.

Friday was the first time McGee had seen Sheena after he wrote his name, address and telephone number on her collar and attached the dogtags he wore as a Marine in Viet Nam. McGee said he left Sheena in a holding area outside the Lousiana Superdome, expecting to be back for her soon. But once inside the Dome, he wasn't allowed to go outside again until he was evacuated to Houston.

Without his pet.

"When I left, it was like somebody tearing something away from me," McGee said

Sheena was first taken to Tylertown, Miss., and then to New York, where she has been in a shelter.

McGee said he tried to find her. He went back to New Orleans in November 2005 and to Louisiana, where some animals were taken. He got the Red Cross involved, and last year he contacted the producers of a segment on rescued animals that aired on Animal Planet for help. "They couldn't find her," McGee said.

"I knew I was never going to find her," said McGee, 56 and retired after being disabled as a driving instructor.

But then he saw the sign.

Last week he was in New Orleans to check on his house and he saw the poster on July 24. At first, he considered it a cruel joke but after thinking it over he called the number.

"It was my dog ... except she was bigger," McGee said of the 15-pound puppy that was now a 35-pound dog. "She was beautiful. I still can't believe that she's here."
Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later! Image_5667451
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/vegask9s
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later!   Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 5:25 am

Thanks for posting this. What's the odds of that happening though? It's nice to actually read about something good happening with our dogs...
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com

Owner, dog reunited after Hurricane Katrina-3 yrs later!
Page 1 of 1