Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Starting Weight Pull

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MidwestFire

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Starting Weight Pull Empty
PostSubject: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 3:13 am

I have an 8 month old female who I want to start in weight pulling or at least keep her in shape. She's about 42.5 pounds right now, and was wondering what would be a good weight to start her on? Right now I walk her with a 5 pound weight collar for about 30-45 min just on our normal walk, I know it's not alot, just getting her use to having weight on. But after I get the harness I ordered what would be a good starting weight. Or should I just start with empty milk jugs so she gets used to having something behind her? Thanks for you input
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:42 am

You got it MF just start her with milk jug with pennies in it for the sound thats behind her then when she gets use to that graduated up to window weights 5lbs or so to get use to the weight behind her just go slow and she will do find it will take awhile' so dont get discouraged
Back to top Go down
MidwestFire

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:45 am

Thanks for your help man. I have to get a harness first, but I was looking at the stillwaterkennels place, I ordered some collars and leads from him and was very happy with his help and services, plus he cut me a deal for what I was buying. Would now be an okay time to start her or should I wait?
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

PostSubject: Re: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 4:50 am

i wouldnt give her any heavy weight until she is at least a 1yr old but thats me some do it earlier
Back to top Go down
jeremy @ aftershockennels

Male Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:41 pm

Photobucket

Photobucket

Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 5:39 am

that tire would work but it would be a bit heavy for the pup to start out with keep it to the milk jugs till she is up to going whats great about the tire though if she gets to pulling it around you can throw rocks and sutch inside the tire to add weight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls

Male Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 6:04 pm

i have my pups pull chain i did the milk jug thing a few years ago i dont mess with it anymore

i had my new pup(4 months old) pulling a 20lb dumbell on grass yesterday
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

PostSubject: Re: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Thats fine for a big dog . but I would stay with the milk jug to get them started then graduate to bigger later when they are ready .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting Weight Pull   Starting Weight Pull Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting Weight Pull
Page 1 of 1