Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Empty
PostSubject: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Introduced and passed on the same day. This was not even on the agenda for the meeting that day... sneaky sneaky bastards!!!

http://www.ci.west-allis.wi.us/dlibrary/insite/detailreport/Reports/Temp/1282008185056.pdf

7.125 PIT BULLS.

(1) Definitions.

(a) “Owner” means any person who owns, possesses, keeps, exercises control over, maintains,
harbors, transports, or sells within the city any pit bull.

(b) Pit Bull means any dog which is one-half or more American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire
terrier, American pit bull terrier, miniature bull terrier, or Staffordshire bull terrier or any dog exhibiting
the distinguishing characteristics which substantially conform to the standards established by the
American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the above breeds.

(2) It is unlawful to own any pit bull in the City of West Allis. This prohibition shall not be applied to
pit bulls being transported through the city limits of the City of West Allis within a one-hour period of
time and to dogs owned by law enforcement agencies and used for law enforcement purposes. Dogs
exempt under Wis. Stat. 174.054 and 174.055 are not prohibited, but must follow the leash and muzzle,
sign, insurance, proof of rabies vaccination, and registry provisions of Subsection (3).

(3) Exceptions. Owners of pit bulls on the date of the passing of this ordinance whose dogs are
legally and currently licensed with the City of West Allis may keep pit bulls subject to the following
conditions.

(a) Leash and Muzzle. No person shall permit a pit bull to go outside its kennel or pen unless such
dog is securely leashed with a leash no longer than four feet in length. No person shall permit a pit bull to
be kept on a chain, rope or other type of leash outside its kennel or pen unless an adult is in physical
control of the leash. Such dogs may not be leashed to inanimate objects such as trees, posts, buildings,
etc. In addition, all pit bulls on a leash outside the animal's kennel or pen must be muzzled by a muzzling
device sufficient to prevent such dog from biting persons or other animals.

(b) Confinement. All pit bulls shall be securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and
locked pen or kennel that is suitable to prevent the entry of young children and to prevent the animal
from escaping except when leashed and muzzled as provided in Subsection (3)(a) of this section. All
pens or kennels shall comply with all zoning and building regulations of the city and shall be kept in a
clean and sanitary condition.

(c) Confinement Indoors. No pit bull may be kept on a porch, patio or in any part of a house or
structure that would allow the dog to exit such building on its own volition.

(d) Signs. All owners of pit bulls within the city shall within ten days of the effective date of this
ordinance display in a prominent place on their premises a sign easily readable by the public using the
words "Beware of Dog." Such sign shall be at least 12 inches by 18 inches with lettering at least 2 inches
in size. In addition, a similar sign is required to be posted on the kennel or pen of such animal.

(e) Insurance. All owners of pit bulls must within thirty (30) days of the effective date of this
ordinance provide proof to the city clerk-treasurer of public liability insurance in a single incident amount
of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00) for bodily injury to or death of any person or persons or
for damage to property owned by any persons which may result from the ownership, keeping or
maintenance of such animal. Such insurance policy shall provide that no cancellation of the policy will be
made unless ten days written notice is first given to the city clerk-treasurer.

(f) Proof of Rabies Vaccination. The owner of a pit bull shall provide proof of rabies vaccination
within 30 days of the effective date of this ordinance.

(g) Registration. All owners of pit bulls shall within thirty (30) days after the effective date of this
ordinance, register such dog with the city by filing a completed registration form provided by the clerktreasurer
and providing two color photographs of the dog clearly showing the color and approximate
size of the dog. One photo should depict the front of the dog, and one photo should depict the side of
the dog.

(h) Reporting Requirements. All owners of pit bulls must within ten days of the incident, report the
following information in writing to the city clerk-treasurer:
1. The removal from the city or death of a pit bull;
2. The birth of offspring of a pit bull;
3. The new address of a pit bull should the dog be moved within the city of West Allis;
4. If the pit bull is sold, the name and address of the new owner;
5. If a pit bull has been lost or stolen.

(i) Animals Born of Registered Dogs. All offspring born of pit bulls registered within the city must
be removed from the city within eight weeks after the birth of such animal.

(j) Compliance with Dog Licensing. All owners of pit bulls must comply with the licensing
requirements of West Allis Revised Municipal Ordinance 7.121.

(4) Procedure During Alleged Violation. Whenever any person is charged with owning a pit bull
contrary to this ordinance, the person shall, to the satisfaction of the court, comply with the requirements
of Subsection (3) of this ordinance. The time requirements for compliance will mirror the requirements in
Subsection (3), except that they will begin when the citation is served upon the owner. If the dog is
determined by plea or trial to be a vicious dog or a pit bull, it shall be immediately removed from the City
of West Allis. Any dog returned to the City of West Allis after being determined to be a pit bull
constitutes a public nuisance.

(5) Penalty.

(a) The owner of any pit bull shall, upon conviction, be subject to a forfeiture of not less than
$500.00 and not more than $1,000.00, together with the costs of prosecution, and, in default of
payment thereof, shall be confined in the House of Correction of Milwaukee County until the forfeitures
and costs have been paid, but not more than the number of days set forth in Sec. 800.095(4) of the
Wisconsin Statutes. Each and every day that an offense continues constitutes a separate offense. The
owner shall pay all impoundment fees and expenses of impounding the pit bull, including fees for shelter,
food, handling, veterinary care, and expert testimony. All owners convicted under Subsection (5)(a)
must permanently remove the pit bull from the City of West Allis within 48 hours of the date of
conviction.

(b) The owner of any pit bull who fails to meet the requirements of Subsection (3) shall, upon
conviction, be subject to a forfeiture of not less than $250.00 and not more than $500.00, together with
the costs of prosecution, and, in default of payment thereof, shall be confined in the House of Correction
of Milwaukee County until the forfeitures and costs have been paid, but not more than the number of
days set forth in Sec. 800.095(4) of the Wisconsin Statutes. Each and every day that an offense
continues constitutes a separate offense. The owner shall pay all impoundment fees and expenses of
impounding the pit bull, including fees for shelter, food, handling, veterinary care, and expert testimony.

1. If a pit bull owner is convicted more than once of a violation of Subsection (5)(b), the pit bull is
ineligible for re-registration and must be permanently removed from the City of West Allis within 48
hours of the date of conviction.

PART II. All ordinances or parts of ordinances contravening the provisions of this ordinance are
hereby repealed.

PART III. This ordinance shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage and
publication.

http://www.ci.west-allis.wi.us/dlibrary/insite/detailreport/matter.aspx?key=8545&mode=print

City of West Allis
Legislative File ID O-2008-0052

Type: Ordinance Status: Passed
Title: An Ordinance to Create Section 7.125 of the West Allis Revised Municipal Code Relating to Pit Bulls.
Controlling Body: License & Health Committee
Introduced: 12/2/2008 Version: 1
Final Action: 12/2/2008 Contact:
Sponsors: Vincent Vitale
Attachments: Legislative File Text
Legislative History

Date Acting Body Action Taken Motion

12/2/2008 Common Council Referred to the License & Health Committee Completed on 12/2/2008
12/2/2008 Common Council Passed Pass
12/2/2008 License & Health Committee Recommended for Passage Pass
(5:0)
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 10:14 pm

How many reading was they by law there have to be i belive 2 at least sometime 3
Back to top Go down
sf1986

sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 pm

Interesting how it exempts "law enforcement"dogs. I'm not sure why the majority of people trust government employees with things that they outlaw for themselves. History shows that when governments are given too much power, they use it to oppress the people they govern. This is a fact. If law enforcement is allowed to use this breed, it is only a matter of time before they turn them loose on the people and their pets. I know it sounds crazy, but crazier things tend to happen all the time: (i.e. the english oppression of the colonies, the southern oppression of africans, the union's oppression of american indians, countries with nuclear weapons oppression of those without nuclear weapons, the rich oppression of the poor); the list never ends. I think it is a grave mistake to trust our government with things that the average person is not allowed to have. The haves always oppress the have nots. The founders of our country new this well, which is why we have jury trials by the average people, the right for the people to bear arms, the right for average people to run for all government offices, the right for average people to vote, division and balance of power, etc, etc, etc. It won't be long before the people of our country simply give all of their freedoms away because they think that it is too dangerous a thing for average people to have. I wonder how they will react when the see a "law enforcement" pitbull let loose on some poor crimal or his pet in the name of so called "law enforcement". I suppose the same citizens will justify it as legimate use of power. It will happen.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:09 am

I agree Suki. You know this sucks because I am from West Allis, almost moved there instead of where I'm at now.. and was looking at a townhouse there. Forget that now! I can't even bring my dogs with me to visit my family anymore Sad I thought it was interesting too that they put that in about law enforcement officers. I wonder if any have "personal" pit bulls and if they will have to follow these same guidelines?

Mike, I'm not sure. Normally, people show up to these meetings I think they just threw this in there that day. It looks like it was voted on unanimously. The thing is we just like two months ago got a pit bull club started here in Milwaukee area and have faught and won (for now) bans in the area. I'm thinking West Allis just wanted to get this under the radar so Brew City didn't see it and the entire club would have been there ~trust me~ to give "our side"
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 5:12 am

Dang that sucks. My area is dealing with the same crap right now. Some people are organizing a picketing of the newschannel who is covering pit bull "attacks". Here's our latest local "attack"
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_120808_newsbeaverton_pit_bull_shot.41f3490c.html?ocp=1

what kind of bullshit is that?
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 5:12 am

Dang that sucks. My area is dealing with the same crap right now. Some people are organizing a picketing of the newschannel who is covering pit bull "attacks". Here's our latest local "attack"
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_120808_newsbeaverton_pit_bull_shot.41f3490c.html?ocp=1

what kind of bullshit is that?
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:15 pm

A light at the end of the tunnel.

After many complaints the Mayor of West Allis has vetoed this bill. It will be discussed in next weeks meeting regarding laws for dangerous dogs instead. One of the proposed laws is deeming a dog dangerous if it barks or growls?? Are you kidding? Every dog would be banned!! Well, you know I'll be there. I'll report back as to what gets passed.
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2008 2:37 am

i know why is was veto i beleive i know in missouri it has to be posted and has to be read twice in missouri
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN   WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WEST ALLIS, WISCONSIN
Page 1 of 1