Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Dogfood I'm trying

Go down 
+3
Prison Blue Pit Bulls
shadowwolf
alfisher3
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

New Dogfood I'm trying Empty
PostSubject: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 5:50 am

I recently took a visit by a local SAMS club and went by the pet food isle and notice a brand of dog food by the name "Exceed", I'm sure most people will turn up thier nose at the thought of buying anything from a Wal-Mart affiliate company and that's fine. But to those with a open mind does anyone on here know of anyone that's personally used the dogfood and how was the results I prefer not hear about hear say or not to read some long article on dog food nutrition, but I would like some personal analystical truth about the feed and if anyone has tried it, or personally know of anyone that's tried it, give me some feedback on how it's worked out.
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 7:01 am

I've heard from folks who've tried it that like it, but nothing much other than that. I have no personal experience on it.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Well the 1st five days of using the Exceed Lamb & Rice has been good thus far the dogs seem to like the taste of it, and there wasn't any diarrhea that I noticed and the switch was immediate.
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 6:20 am

i personally don't think anything is wrong with feeding store brands. *Shrug* We feed Nutra-Nuggets from Fred Meyers and my dogs do well on it, didn't get diarhea and all three ate it.
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 2:56 pm

I started to buy Nutra-Nuggets once before but it wasn't being offered in my area, I think Diamond actually makes Nutra-Nuggets, but your right I mean store brand and feed store dog food there's really not much different, truth of the matter there are only a handful of factories throughout the U.S. that make all of the hundred of different brands of dog food anyway.
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Didn't know that. It would make sense because we used to feed Diamond, I like spending $20 on a 40 pound bag of dog food, not $37 though. We were in the vet clinic today and a 40 lb bag of Science Diet or Royal Canin cost $87!!! WTF!?
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:23 am

$87 for 40lbs??? OMG no way!! I just put my dogs back on Diamond.. and I'm reminded why I wanted to switch from it. This will be my last bag of that.. lol
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:56 pm

***bump***
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 2:36 am

Well, your dogs seem to be enjoying it. After finding out the ingredients are very similar to another brand of food... higher priced food, I think I'll be taking a trip to Sam's myself. I'm always on the lookout for a food than can benefit my dogs. Sasha is back to being on the skinny side after her sickness, and this Diamond is just running right through her... we'll see...
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 10:40 pm

opinions/info:
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins_read/123082.html
i personally do not know anything about this food...sorry...

edit to add
now that i'm looking at the ingredients:

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min.): 30.0%
Crude Fat (min.): 20.0%
Crude Fiber (max.): 4.0%
Moisture (max.): 10.0%
Metabolizable Energy (ME): 443 kcal/cup

Ingredients:

Chicken, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, yellow corn, ground wheat, beet pulp, calcium carbonate, animal digest, vegetable oil, dried egg product, brewers yeast, salt, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, vitamins and minerals

inparticular, corn gluten meal, rice, yelow corn, wheat...veg oil...
ALL ingredients dogs DO not need, i wouldn't touch the stuff.....
and what is "animal digest"?!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
nope, not liking what i'm seeing..... sorry.....
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts
=look at "what to avoid"...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 2:41 am

Update on the Exceed, the dogs are still doing great it's been to short to notice any true physical changes but the stools are firm and low in volume, the dogs eyes are looking clear and bright at this point I'm still pleased. I've tried many of the "quote" holistic natural good for your dogs "VERY EXPENSIVE" name brands out there, and I have to admit right now, this underadvertised low priced store brand dog food is currently holding it's own and the dogs seem to like the taste. But I know that I should give about a good month and half to make any true analysis, but so far things are working well.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 2:45 am

Suki I definately admire and respect your opinion and normally I would try to avoid the corn gluten meal, but I'm almost led to believe that most of ALL the dog food brands out there are pretty much manufactured the same and by the same handful of companies that are in the dog food business. And also I'm using this food as a trial basis, I mean if the dogs do well on it I will continue using it and , there's really no point for me continue buying the usual $47 bag of feed I was currently using. Also the formula posted on here is for the Exceed Chicken and Rice I'm actually using the Natural Lamb & Rice formula they offer, the ingredient are a bit different, not a whole lot but varies on a few ingredients.
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 4:07 am

I think if your dogs do well on it than there's really no problem in what kind of food. My two males do fine with any food, my female seems to only be able to handle the Nutra nuggets. When we fed brands like Diamond and Nutro she was sick and had a hard time keeping weight on. Now she's got a gorgeous coat and her weight is great, she eats all her food and no poops!
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 4:08 am

also, Ruckus kennels feeds the Costco Kirkland brand Smile
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 6:24 pm

alfisher3 wrote:
Suki I definately admire and respect your opinion and normally I would try to avoid the corn gluten meal, but I'm almost led to believe that most of ALL the dog food brands out there are pretty much manufactured the same and by the same handful of companies that are in the dog food business. And also I'm using this food as a trial basis, I mean if the dogs do well on it I will continue using it and , there's really no point for me continue buying the usual $47 bag of feed I was currently using. Also the formula posted on here is for the Exceed Chicken and Rice I'm actually using the Natural Lamb & Rice formula they offer, the ingredient are a bit different, not a whole lot but varies on a few ingredients.

n/p
and while the manufacturing 'process' may be similar, or, "the same" it's the INGREDIENTS that go into that manufacturing that make the difference.....
but, your choice. your dogs will be a product of what they're fed. that simple.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 2:32 am

suki wrote:
your dogs will be a product of what they're fed. that simple.

You know.. this statement can be true. But when it comes to some dogs, a more expensive dog food with "acceptable" ingredients doesn't always seem to be the best. For example, my male has problems with most dog foods. It normally comes out either end in a non pleasant way. As for my female, she just won't put on weight and keep it on. Sometimes some dogs just do better on commercial feeds than others.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 4:13 am

I agree different dogs do better on different feeds. Just an update with the dog food I'm coming up on the first 2 weeks, and the dogs all seem to be doing exceptionally well, hopefully the next 4 weeks will tell me the results i'm looking for, and also suki I do agree about people and animals being a product of what they eat that's very true, I just honestly don't believe any dog food company is putting fresh ground sirloin steaks into a bag of feed that cost $50, otherwise it would be human grade and we'd all be eating it as bad as the economy has got LOL. I like all the replies on this thread so far lots of educated speculation which is definately appreciative, but I'm also a believer in giving all things a try and right now it's working fine for both the dogs and my over all monthly dog food/supplement bill.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 pm

so long as YOU are happy with the results, that's what REALLY matters... Smile
good luck with it!

edit to add:
i just found its rating in case you're interested...
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/2012
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:10 am

I am wondering if there are any reviews of the Natural Lamb & Rice (which is the formula Antonio is feeding I believe). Seems it is always about the chicken formula.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:57 am

^ very true. this was all that came up.... i imagine, short of the lamb, if the other ingredients are the same, the rating will most likely be the same as well.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 1:03 am

Kels you are correct I'm using the Natural lamb and rice formula from Members Mark Exceed, the formula is a little different but very similar. Suki I use to feel the same way about corn in dogfood but overtime I also discovered that dogs couldn't digest any complex carbs like corn, apples, sweet potatoes, etc.. So I figured heck I've give a decently formulated store brand dog food a chance, and right now this feed seems to be doing the job better than expected, and is exceeding expectations for the cost, but like i said previously this is still a trial, I'm always open to any reasonable suggestions about canine nutrition.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 4:18 pm

alfisher3 wrote:
Suki I use to feel the same way about corn in dogfood but overtime I also discovered that dogs couldn't digest any complex carbs like corn, apples, sweet potatoes, etc.. So I figured heck I've give a decently formulated store brand dog food a chance, and right now this feed seems to be doing the job better than expected, and is exceeding expectations for the cost, but like i said previously this is still a trial, I'm always open to any reasonable suggestions about canine nutrition.

again, n/p. whatever works for you.
i was simply responding to your original post:
" I would like some personal analystical truth about the feed " ..... (i'm BIG into dog nutrition)... Wink
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 4:29 pm

I agree 100% on the analytical approarch, I just wish there was more people we knew on this forum that had personally tried using this brand of feed, I think most people are about like you and I, meaning they avoid most store brands like a plague. I guess I wouldn't really know the full benefits of this dog food or any b/c I do supplement my dogs diets throughout the year. But once again if you have a personal brand that you think might be worth a shot I'm definately open to other options, what brand are you currently feeding and do you use any supplements?
Back to top Go down
rednya

rednya

Female Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 7:23 pm

I like everyones open minds on here... I feed Innova.... im not sure if its carried in the US but here in Canada its a great brand for Pits because it has a special combo of grain and nutrients that they need. I love it and have had excellent experience with it cause my girl older girl has allergies.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:57 pm

As mentioned, different dogs will each do differently on different feed, based on each dogs' life style. i've based my decision, primarliy on two things: nutritional canine needs and the standards set by AAFCO.
one, you will find here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659+1661&aid=662
and on the nutritional needs of my dogs, which i've included, and you will find here: http://dels.nas.edu/dels/rpt_briefs/dog_nutrition_final.pdf (lengthy read, but imo, worth it.)

i feed some raw, primarily chicken and beef along with (approx) 1 c kibble twice a day. i mix a combo of Evo and Canidae. Evo because it's a better (imo) product, but pricey, hence it's mixed with the Canidae. My dogs are hand walked 2x a day, approx 3-5 miles each time and they are run for 45 min each night.
i don't supplement because the following:

Protein.........18%
Fat..............5%
Calcium......0.6% (maximum 2.5%)
Phosphorus...0.5% (maximum 1.6%)
Potassium.....0.6%
Sodium........0.06%
Chloride.......0.09%
Magnesium.....0.04% (maximum 0.3%)
Iron............80 mg/kg (maximum 3,000 mg/kg)
Copper.........7.3 mg/kg (maximum 250 mg/kg)
Manganese........5 mg/kg
Zinc...........120 mg/kg (maximum 1000 mg/kg)
Iodine.........1.5 mg/kg (maximum 50 mg/kg)
Selenium......0.11 mg/kg (maximum 2 mg/kg)
Vitamin A.....5000 IU/kg (maximum 250,000 IU/kg)
Vitamin D......500 IU/kg (maximum 5000 IU/kg)
Vitamin E.......50 IU/kg (maximum 1000 IU/kg)
Thiamine.........1 mg/kg
Riboflavin.....2.2 mg/kg
Pantothenic Acid..10 mg/kg
Niacin..........11.4 mg/kg
Pyridoxine.........1 mg/kg
Folic Acid......0.18 mg/kg
Vitamin B12.....0.022 mg/kg
Choline.........1200 mg/kg
yup set by AAFCO (*amounts listed are MINIMUM requirements)are met with their feed. (see below, as an example of Canidae).
As Fed Dry Matter Energy Basis
Moisture 8.5 %
Protein 24.2 % 26.4 % 6.8 g/100 kcals
Fat 14.5 % 15.8 % 4.1 g/100 kcals
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 4.03 % 4.37 % 1.12 g/100 kcals
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5 % 0.5 % 0.1 g/100 kcals
Ash 8.0 % 8.7 % 2.3 g/100 kcals
Fiber 4.0 % 4.4 % 0.99 g/100 kcals
Carbohydrate 39.9 % 43.6 % 11.3 g/100 kcals
Arginine 1.39 % 1.5 % 0.39 g/100 kcals
Histidine 0.53 % 0.6 % 0.15 g/100 kcals
Isoleucine 0.87 % 0.9 % 0.24 g/100 kcals
Leucine 1.69 % 1.8 % 0.48 g/100 kcals
Lysine 1.14 % 1.2 % 0.32 g/100 kcals
Methionine Cystine 0.85 % 0.9 % 0.24 g/100 kcals
Phenylalanine-Tyrosine 1.59 % 1.7 % 0.45 g/100 kcals
Threonine 0.89 % 1.0 % 0.25 g/100 kcals
Tryptophan 0.21 % 0.2 % 0.06 g/100 kcals
Valine 1.09 % 1.2 % 0.31 g/100 kcals
Calcium 1.80 % 2.0 % 0.51 g/100 kcals
Phosphorus 1.20 % 1.3 % 0.34 g/100 kcals
Magnesium 0.16 % 0.17 % 45 mg/100 kcals
Sodium 0.17 % 0.19 % 0.05 g/100 kcals
Potassium 0.65 % 0.71 % 0.18 g/100 kcals
Chloride 0.45 % 0.49 % 0.13 g/100 kcals
Copper 11 mg/kg 12.25 mg/kg 0.37 mg/100 kcals
Iron 300 mg/kg 328 mg/kg 7.5 mg/100 kcals
Manganese 25 mg/kg 27 mg/kg 0.7 mg/100 kcals
Zinc 200 mg/kg 219 mg/kg 5.0 mg/100 kcals
Iodine 2.5 mg/kg 2.7 mg/kg 0.1 mg/100 kcals
Selenium 0.20 mg/kg 0.22 mg/kg 0.006 mg/100 kcals
Vitamin A 15,000 IU/kg 16,393 IU/kg 423 mg/100 kcals
Vitamin C 50 mg/kg 55 mg/kg 1.4 mg/100 kcals
Vitamin D 1,000 IU/kg 1,093 IU/kg 28 mg/100 kcals
Vitamin E 200 IU/kg 219 IU/kg 5.6 mg/100 kcals
Thiamine (B1) 40 mg/kg 44 mg/kg 1.13 mg/100 kcals
Riboflavin (B2) 8.0 mg/kg 8.7 mg/kg 0.23 mg/100 kcals
Pyridoxine (B6) 13.0 mg/kg 14.2 mg/kg 0.37 mg/100 kcals
B12 0.14 mg/kg 0.15 mg/kg 3.9 mcg/100 kcals
Beta Carotene 5.75 mg/kg 6.28 mg/kg 0.16 mg/100 kcals
Folic Acid 2.0 mg/kg 2.2 mg/kg 0.06 mg/100 kcals
Niacin 66 mg/kg 72 mg/kg 1.9 mg/100 kcals
Pantothenic Acid 25.0 mg/kg 27.3 mg/kg 0.71 mg/100 kcals
Biotin 0.33 mg/kg 0.36 mg/kg 0.01 mg/100 kcals
Choline 3,000 mg/kg 3,279 mg/kg 85 mg/100 kcals
Metabolizable Energy (ME) 4,125 kcal/kg (based on Atwater Calculation)
ME/cup 468 kcal/cup
Product Density 4.5 oz./cup
Digestibility 85.0 % 93 %
As Fed Digestibility (protein 84%, fat 95%, carbohydrates 91%)
PH Urine 7.0
and because my dogs do not appear to be lacking any nutrients, based on what i see daily and based on the resluts of their exams. if a problem/deficiency should appear/occur, i will adjust their diets accordinally.
and i guess i'm picky, due to working with animals, and after seeing all the dogs we are able to board in our kennels (150) sometimes on a daily basis) and the condition of some of them, yes, based on a high percentage of what they're being fed, after almost 4 years, i've seen enuff "questionable" looking dogs, both boarding and as a tech, to make me want to feed my dogs the best that i can afford.
but again, you have to do what works best for you. i'm just a food snob, i guess you could say, because SO many dogs cross my path on a daily basis.
anyhow, hope this helps you some. again, it's just MY .02....
i wish you the BESTof luck and
bon appetite!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Dogfood I'm trying   New Dogfood I'm trying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Dogfood I'm trying
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Pit Bull Related-