Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs

Go down 
+2
pitmamma
GazzMembrane
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GazzMembrane

GazzMembrane

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-05-21

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Empty
PostSubject: seeking a deeper understanding of dogs   seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 am

been studying the various breed standards and I am curious as to the scope some of these terms.

so i'd like to pose a sort of fun(for a utter and complete dog nerd like me at least) little exercise.

I suggest that once someone is game, I will post a photo of a random canine, i'm thinking a wild canine would be best as this exercise is intended to dissect the structure of a breed standard. and whoever is bored writes out a detailed description of this canine with the terminology typically used in purebred standards.

think of it as an exercise in understanding canine body structure.

or ignore this thread if my nerdiness is too much for you...=)
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: seeking a deeper understanding of dogs   seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:53 pm

I am not the brightest color in the box (of crayons) but I think this could be interesting. If some of the more knowledable people out there played (participated) it could teach some of us something.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: seeking a deeper understanding of dogs   seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 5:20 pm

Nerds are cool Cool Like Tami said.. if some knowledgable people will join in it could be interesting info out there.
Back to top Go down
pistol pete

pistol pete

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: seeking a deeper understanding of dogs   seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 6:26 pm

I also agree Very Happy
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: seeking a deeper understanding of dogs   seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 11:02 pm

if i understood what you were talking about i might actaully answer some questions lol
Back to top Go down
GazzMembrane

GazzMembrane

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: seeking a deeper understanding of dogs   seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 10:16 am

midwest_showdogs wrote:
if i understood what you were talking about i might actaully answer some questions lol

I want to understand how a piece of paper turns into a dog, figuratively speaking. I noticed something about studying language...you don't truly absorb it unless you apply it.

so here it is. this is also for fun/thought...

write a breed standard describing this wild canine, lycaon pictus, as if the species were a breed of domestic dog. specify all you can. let the nerdiness commence! =P

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs U15951376

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Lycapict4

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs 72251758

i'm doing it too and when it's all done we can compare...

and to give an idea of size, they stand about 30inches at the shoulder and weigh from around 30 to 70 lbs. i'm such a weirdo...
Back to top Go down
Boogieman

Boogieman

Male Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: seeking a deeper understanding of dogs   seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 am

GazzMembrane wrote:
midwest_showdogs wrote:

I want to understand how a piece of paper turns into a dog, figuratively speaking. I noticed something about studying language...you don't truly absorb it unless you apply it.

so here it is. this is also for fun/thought...

write a breed standard describing this wild canine, lycaon pictus, as if the species were a breed of domestic dog. specify all you can. let the nerdiness commence! =P

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs U15951376

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Lycapict4

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs 72251758

i'm doing it too and when it's all done we can compare...

and to give an idea of size, they stand about 30inches at the shoulder and weigh from around 30 to 70 lbs. i'm such a weirdo...
Writing a breed standard can't be done by looking at a few pics. It takes a wealth of knowledge and understanding of the animal you are applying the standard to. For one to write a breed standard one must know that animal and the breed inside, outside, up, down, fwd, and backward. Even then they damn well better research even more. So to me this exercise is virtually impossible without a vast knowledge and much help.

Sorry....JMHO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seeking a deeper understanding of dogs   seeking a deeper understanding of dogs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

seeking a deeper understanding of dogs
Page 1 of 1