Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Conditioning and Diet?

Go down 
+7
roe1880
pocketdunlap
njexit9
Prison Blue Pit Bulls
Southern Boy
lovemypits
MidwestFire
11 posters
AuthorMessage
MidwestFire

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Conditioning and Diet? Empty
PostSubject: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 10:52 pm

I recent bought an APBT and have been doing the obdience/socialization and all that jazz. However eventually I would like to possibly show her but for the most part just want a fit muscular dog, even if I dont show he,r I would like to have a dog with the definition and tone of the show dogs. I was curious to ask the people that condition their dogs, what techniques do you use. Right now I'm feeding Nutro Puppy chow, (I know she's young, I'm not looking for the results now just getting a plan togther) working her with a flirt pole, walking, tug of war, wrestling, etc. Is there any tips anyone has when conditioning? Also any tips on diets? I have no room for a treadmill.

Does anyone know of a good supplement to add to the dogs diet also. I've found NuVet, which seems to be used on show dogs, and the CNI RF-1 which seems to be used by the performance dogs. Thats the one I'm leening toward just wondering what people thought.

MWF

Last edited by MidwestFire on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 1:14 am

Good questions... no one has any pointers???
Back to top Go down
Southern Boy

Southern Boy

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 1:43 am

MidwestFire wrote:
I recent bought an APBT and have been doing the obdience/socialization and all that jazz. However eventually I would like to possibly show her but for the most part just want a fit muscular dog, even if I dont show he,r I would like to have a dog with the definition and tone of the show dogs. I was curious to ask the people that condition their dogs, what techniques do you use. Right now I'm feeding Nutro Puppy chow, (I know she's young, I'm not looking for the results now just getting a plan togther) working her with a flirt pole, walking, tug of war, wrestling, etc. Is there any tips anyone has when conditioning? Also any tips on diets? I have no room for a treadmill.

Does anyone know of a good supplement to add to the dogs diet also. I've found NuVet, which seems to be used on show dogs, and the CF-1 which seems to be used by the performance dogs. Thats the one I'm leening toward just wondering what people thought.

MWF

Well my puppy is 12 weeks old and i have 2 friends that raise pits and there dogs are well defined. One of my friends goes to the weight pulling with his dog and the other just wants his defined for show. So this is what i have learned from them y friend that has the pulling dogs has told my pit bulls are very active dogs they need alot of exersise. He suggested to me to get a good pulling harness when my dog gets a little older and just take a light weight and let him pull it around the yard wile i play with him. My other frind says the nuvet is what he gives his dogs and it's a good supplement for them and he says just as my other friend lots of excersise and maybe a little puttling he has a tire swing says that hid dogs like to hang from it and they can use there own body weight to get size on them. I myself will get a pulling harness and try what my first friend suggested playing with my dog in the yard and let him pull some light weight around to start and see how that does. I hope this answered a couple questions for you:) Danny

Last edited by Southern Boy on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 5:32 am

Superfuel is a nice supplement to use. I have used it and several friends have as well, we've all been happy with the results. Sounds like you are on the right track though!
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
njexit9

njexit9

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 3:50 pm

we use vertex its very good for pups pregnant bitches & performance dogs
Back to top Go down
MidwestFire

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 2:01 am

Vertex? Never heard of it. So no one has used that CNI RF-1?
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:00 am

Well, feeding raw is always going to be a bit more inconvenient than feeding kibble, but I have made this formula as convenient as I can (you can get everything at WalMart), and as cost-effective as I can (it costs less per-lb than the crap of crap-kibble Ol' Roy). At my local WalMart, Ol' Roy is now $20.88 for 40 lb (which is $0.52/lb), and the following raw diet I am listing can be put together for only $0.50/lb. Here are the items:

Food Item.............................Cost Per Meal

Raw Chicken Quarters (8 oz)..............$0.290
1 Cup White Rice (8 oz)......................$0.087
Whole Egg (2 oz)................................$0.121
Plain Yogurt (1.2 oz)...........................$0.079
1 Tsp Lard (1/6th oz)..........................$0.013
½ Vitamin Pill (0 oz)............................$0.014

19.2 oz meal........................................ $0.60 = Total Cost

* WalMart offers 10-lb bags of chicken quarters for $5.78, which pans-out to be only about $0.58/lb.
* You can get 20 lb of Matma white rice for $13.12 at WalMart also. Keep in mind that 1/3 cup of rice grains makes a full cup of cooked rice (after you add 2/3-cup of water and heat it). There are 50.5 cups of rice grains in the 20-lb sack, which after adding water make 151.5 cups of rice for $13.12, making each cup of rice cost only $0.087 (just under nine cents a cup).
* You can also get a carton of 60 (5-dozen) eggs for $7.24 (which comes to $0.97/lb), and each egg weighs about 2 oz (or about 12.1 cents per egg).
* You can buy a quart of "Great Value" plain yogurt for about $1.57 each (which is about $0.79/lb), and it has been my experience that you can scoop out about 20 heaping tablespoons per container, which is about 7.9 cents per serving.
* You can also get a bottle of 300 Equate Multi-Vitamin pills for $8.42. Since a little dog doesn’t need the full horse pill, you can cut each vitamin in half, which means you get 600 multi-vitamins for just over eight bucks (or $0.014/pill). The best way to feed the half-vitamin pill is to stuff it in a teaspoon of lard.
* You can get a 4-lb tub of Armour Lard for $4.82, and since 4 lb = 64 oz, and since 1 tsp = 1/6th of an ounce, this means you get 384 teaspoon servings for less than five bucks, or $0.013 per serving (just over one cent).

This means the above meal would cost 29 cents + 8.7 cents + 12.1 cents + 7.9 cents + 1.3 cents + 1.4 cents which would equal a total cost of 60.4 cents for 19.2 oz of feed, which translates to just over $0.030/ounce—or just over $0.50/lb—and it’s still a better meal compared to just about any commercial kibble.

That’s right, you can shop at WalMart and feed your dogs a low budget raw diet for less than what it costs to feed Ol’ Roy, the lousiest feed on the market, and yet it is better for your dogs than virtually any high-end kibble. You don't need to go to butchers, slaughterhouses, or any other inconvenient spot for many folks ... you can get all of these things right at WalMart.

Just purchase a crock pot for the rice (also at WalMart), in a size commensurate with the number of dogs you have (1 cup of rice per dog), and you will be saving money AND feeding your dogs better. There is simply no excuse to feed kibble anymore with today's prices.

Yes, there are raw diets better than this; again, my point was to provide a LOW BUDGET ("anyone can get it") raw diet for kennel situations.

All you need is a meat cleaver, the crock pot, and a cutting board. Lay the number of eggs, vitamins, chicken pieces out there ... and stack a buncha bowls ... and you can feed a yard of dogs better than any kibble ... for LESS MONEY than any kibble.

Good luck,

PAK
Back to top Go down
roe1880

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 7:08 pm

Hey Pocket, where can I get some of that feed at????? LMAO Conditioning and Diet? 215325 Conditioning and Diet? 373501 Conditioning and Diet? 250193 Conditioning and Diet? 660929
Back to top Go down
sf1986

sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:14 am

Nice Pics. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 6:28 am

my husband said he's gonna start feeding me RAW. lol.
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
frank ilona

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 7:21 pm

roe1880 wrote:
Hey Pocket, where can I get some of that feed at????? LMAO Conditioning and Diet? 215325 Conditioning and Diet? 373501 Conditioning and Diet? 250193 Conditioning and Diet? 660929
Well i dont see the point in feeding my dog all of these diets i never diet my dog before 18 monthes idont hang before 9 and dont pull before 9 monthes best exersize to build is walk and increase wight to drag on a tyre best protein raw fish and chicken never any eggs for they do cary vireses.My pits worked to the end.I train aubedeans to my dogs for i dont believe in forsing them to do any thing out of fear but out of love and willingnes.I think to have apit pulling on comand rather than choker,or bait that just gives me the thrill.Gays no matter what you give them if you treet them well,they will work for you to the END so dont fors them but love them from apit bull lover to all pit lovers
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:17 am

the chart here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659+1661&aid=662

is (imo) a good reference point to show the differences between pup requirements (nutrition-wise) and adult requirements. as you can see, the difference between the two is VERY slight. i personally do not feed "puppy" food, nor "senior" food, because basically i think they're rip offs to consumers. if you feel a GOOD quality kibble, no need to feed the afore mentioned.
Basic nutrients are:
proteins~for growth and repairing bones, muscles and other 'body tissues'. proteins also assist with the production of hormones, enzymes and antibodies.
Fats: to create energy, when their bodie's own glucose is low or unavailable, to help produce hormones,nervous system function and to help transport vitamins thruout its system
Carbs: which metabolize into glucose=chief energy source
Vitamins and minerals: which are used in a canine's muscle and nerve function, to promote bone growth, bone healing and bone metabolism and also to ensure fluid balance.
also *at least* one ounce of H2O per body weight, each day~obviously more if necessary.
also, too, due to a dog's low level of taste buds, they rely on their sense of smell to entice their eating. so pretty much, if it smells good, they're gunna eat it. Wink
and pretty much the best overall exercise, good for all weather types and is low impact but good for the heart is a good, old fashioned walk.
swimming exercises all the muscles, so if you've access to some water, go for it. all mine love the water!
and i realize this is an older thread, but perhaps the info on here will be helpful to other owners, as well. just start off slow with pups, let 'em feel comfortable with what you're doing and add longevity and weights as they're strength increases.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
jeremy @ aftershockennels

jeremy @ aftershockennels

Male Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 6:47 am

L-carintine

L-glutamine
Back to top Go down
frank ilona

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 5:42 pm

MIDWESTFIRE IF YOU WANT TO I WILL GIVE YOU ADVICE FREELY TO WORK YOUR PIT SO THAT SHE CAN LOOK THE BEST, DEPENDING ON WHAT TOU WANT TO TRAIN HER FOR.PIT LOVE
Back to top Go down
MidwestFire

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:46 pm

well eventually I'm gonna weight pull her, but I just want a trim, ripped APBT. How there supposed to look.
Back to top Go down
frank ilona

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:36 pm

How old is she ,and what temprament has she got.Is she alive ,does she work the flirt pole?Are you feeding to weight ratio or over feeding.?Take care pit love
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conditioning and Diet?   Conditioning and Diet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Conditioning and Diet?
Page 1 of 1