Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need Advice!!!

Go down 
+3
MidnightSkyKnl
jeremy @ aftershockennels
Prison Blue Pit Bulls
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 2:16 am

My puppy Dookie just turned 5 months and has this bad bad habit of chewing on everything in sight! It's bad, Dustin's pretty much fed up with him and with me since he's now "mine" (cuz he's bad). We just moved a week ago today and he's already chewed the place up to where we probably won't be seeing a refund on the deposit. He gnaws on anything wood----the corners of walls, table/chairs, even our nice "cocktail table". Before we moved, I'd let him have a bone and he wouldn't chew stuff up but we are in apartments now and I can't give him a bone around 2 other dogs without them picking on him. He mostly chews at night while we are asleep so I'm hoping to be able to purchase a crate next week, is there ANYTHING I can do until then to keep him from not being so dang destructive? Dustin's threatening to permanantly kick him outside and I don't want that happening since i know people steal dogs out of yards in Portland Sad Any suggestions are welcome!!!!

Thanks in adavance!!
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com

Male Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:18 am

a kennel outside with chain chain and more chain on it and a kennel pannel on top so people cant jump in there and a camera in plain view with servalince signs posted

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Back to top Go down
MidnightSkyKnl
MidnightSkyKnl

Female Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2007-05-06

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 1:12 pm

You have to start letting him chew on a bone or something or if not your house is just going to continue to get destroyed. get the other their own chew toy too though not fair to just get him one and keep them in separate rooms from each other. He has to have something to chew on so if you don't give him something he will continue to find something himself instead of waiting on you to give him something. Sound like hes teething badly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnightskykennels.com
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 6:23 pm

If you don't want to put him outside, then Crate him, when he isn't supervised. When he is supervised, as soon as he started to chew on something, stop him and redirect him (i.e. bones or just something he can chew on).
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks! Fortunately my friend is letting me borrow a crate until I can buy for him. And yes!!! Bones, he will get a bone for himself and the other dogs will have them as well. He'll have to be crated when he gets his because my other 2 will pick on him even if they have their own. They are greedy and don't think he deserves anything.
Back to top Go down
sf1986

sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Prison Blue, I know the feeling. My dog chewed alot too. She's better now that she is an adult, but occasionally I find random things chewed up: books, hats, etc. I used to crate her when nobody was home, but not anymore. She grew out of it for the most part. Hopefully yours will grow out of it too. One thing I'm pretty sure helped was running her. After a good run, she would calm down for a couple of days. Problem with that was she was blowing out my knees pulling me so hard. So now I take her for 25-30 minute walks 4-5 times a week, running up a steep hill x 2 on the trail. Helps with her chewing big time.
Back to top Go down
windracr

windracr

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 12:56 am

sf1986 wrote:
Prison Blue, I know the feeling. My dog chewed alot too. She's better now that she is an adult, but occasionally I find random things chewed up: books, hats, etc. I used to crate her when nobody was home, but not anymore. She grew out of it for the most part. Hopefully yours will grow out of it too. One thing I'm pretty sure helped was running her. After a good run, she would calm down for a couple of days. Problem with that was she was blowing out my knees pulling me so hard. So now I take her for 25-30 minute walks 4-5 times a week, running up a steep hill x 2 on the trail. Helps with her chewing big time.

I'm no expert and probably shouldn't even be chiming in, but I bet sf1986 just gave the solution to 99% of all dog's behavioral problems. I have always thought that most penned, chained, or house dogs don't get enough exercise. Fortunately I live in the country and can just turn mine loose at any time. My dogs have never had the problems that some of my friends dogs have had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=367qYwo54VE
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:29 am

It is good you were able to borrow a crate. Everyone so far has pretty much covered it. Teething could be one of the problems and boredom is more than likely a good reason for the behavior. Good luck...
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 11:02 pm

I don't neccesarily think his chewing is because he doesn't get enough excercise. If he had just started after the move, I'd agree, but the house we moved from we had a huge yard and that dog was constantly hanging off the tire, playing with the flirt pole, chasing the other 2 dogs and still got to go for walks. He'd get so tired that he'd flop down in the grass and gnaw and wood. I'm pretty sure it's teething related, none of my other dogs are chewers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need Advice!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice!!!   Need Advice!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Advice!!!
Page 1 of 1