Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To cull or not to cull?

Go down 
+9
Caliente
sf1986
sedaliapridekennels
rednya
shadowwolf
CoolHandJean
midwest_showdogs
lovemypits
pitmamma
13 posters
AuthorMessage
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

To cull or not to cull? Empty
PostSubject: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 3:46 pm

If you knew your dog was becoming human aggressive and deemed dangerous would you make every effort to "Break the habit" or correct the behavior or would you humanely euthanize?
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:33 pm

I think if I had a dog that was truly HA it would have to take a dirt nap as they say. Where I live I could not chance having a HA dog. When I walk my dogs there are people and children sharing the sidewalk, my neighbors little kids wander over all the time to pet my dogs. And I try to take my dogs to events when I can. A man biter would be no good for any of that.

What about people though who trust the dog themselves and live in a country setting? Where the dog, unless somehow getting loose, would not come in contact with strangers. Would you cull that dog? Or keep it for yourself?
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 10:11 pm

no question put them down
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:00 pm

I would have it PTS.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:38 pm

PTS...I have no use for a dog like that.
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 2:31 am

Blue juice cocktail followed by a dirt nap.
Back to top Go down
rednya

rednya

Female Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 1:20 am

I think its entirely dependant on what level the dog is at. If it has bit a human before and if it lives in an urban setting with other dogs/people/children and it is impossible to rehabilitate it then the best option would be euthenasia.

However, that being said, a dog that is human aggressive should not be allowed to get that way in the first place. Everyone knows these dogs need early socialization with people and dogs, and excerise and the right stimulous. It comes down to being a responsible pit owner from the beginning, and getting your puppy from a respectable breeder so as not to perpetuate the bad breed image.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 2:29 pm

actually this is questionable. Some say this can be trained out of a dog. I know a dog that can guarantee he can train it out of them. Most of the HA falls along the lines of eithor two things Mental illness or Solicalization. If it is mental ilness it cannot be Trained out of it. If it is socalization it can be at certain levels.

Before you decide to use the dirt nap metthond try to get the dog to a trainer and see what can be done first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 9:20 pm

Roger I can understand what you are saying in terms of socialization. I guess I just "assume" (yes I know that is bad) that everyone does this.....
But at the same time, my son has the responsibility of feeding the dogs (most of the time). If there is a dog that I have reason to believe may bite, that is NOT a chance I will take. I am not going to take the time to try to retrain or rehab that dog. There are millions more out in the world that need a good home. And that is not the only dog out in my yard and I cannot spend all my time with that one, as the rest need attention too.
I know that may sound harsh but........
Back to top Go down
sf1986

sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm

For the sake of humanity and the future of the breed, a HA pitbull out to be put down. JMHO.
Back to top Go down
Caliente

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:02 am

It depends on the situation.

I've culled a HA dog before and I considered them a danger. Other people would see a trainer or a vet. I rather not take the chance with such an unpredictable dog. On the other hand if not unpredictable and possibly nervous, has small issues that can be worked with and the dog is easily contained properly then I would cull them but might not PTS immediately. I'd have to see how they work out and dependent on what age they were. Working in rescue you might get dogs that seem iffy with humans but it doesn't mean they are outright or truly HA. Sometimes dogs are just distrustful at first. It has to be a rare exception anyway. It always depends on the breed. In some breeds its the opposite if they didn't show aggression to humans I'd cull them.
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:03 am

Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:05 am

What breed would you want HA? I'am confused?????
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:09 am

Caliente.. are you talking about a guard dog for your house/yard.. like a maybe a dobie or something?
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:11 am

I guess when I speak, it is just from my own experience...I have only got one dog that was over the age of 8 weeks and she was 12 weeks. So socialization or should I say, lack of, has never been part of my situation.
I had 2 pups, sister and brother, that were crazy from the get go.....and I have had three others that at about 3 yrs old...they just kinda went bonko...If i had to guess, I would say bad breeding....
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:11 am

No excpetions-----It's called CAC
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:16 am

CAC????
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:24 am

Conceal and Carry-Why do you need a K-9 for the dirty work
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:28 am

Gotcha......
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 3:02 am

I guess to cull or not to cull depends on the one thing that it's always depended on "MONEY". I know many people are shaking their heads now, but most people say a game bred dog isn't bred to bite a human while this might be true, many of the champions and grandchampions of past and present would scatch at a human just as quickly as it would another dog, examples, gr ch ART, ZEBO, just to name a couple. Under normal circumstances these type dogs would be put to sleep, but when a man could pay for his home with the talent of one of these dogs there is little chance of that dog taking a dirt nap.
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 3:13 am

Well put Alfisher
Back to top Go down
woody d

woody d

Male Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:36 pm

i would say pts. plain and simple. all the time required to make a poor dog acceptable could be spent making a good dog great.
Back to top Go down
SouljaKennels

SouljaKennels

Female Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:40 pm

As much as I want to say to cull or PTS, it is hard. If it is a loved family member that developed HA that would be a hard choice. Though I agree with many of you...you must assess the situation: Is it truly a HA dog by means of mental instability or simply by under socialization and/or bad/traumatic experience? Regardless of the breed dogs are, well dogs. And though NO APBT should ever be HA...sometimes it's not their fault.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/souljakennels
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To cull or not to cull?   To cull or not to cull? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To cull or not to cull?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Pit Bull Related-
Jump to: