Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's a good dogman?

Go down 
+2
sedaliapridekennels
alfisher3
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

What's a good dogman? Empty
PostSubject: What's a good dogman?   What's a good dogman? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 6:12 pm

What makes a person a good dogman/dogwoman, is it someone who knows a vast amount about the breed in general, is it someone who just own a lot of dogs that spend their life on chains and come from good stock. Is being a good dogman the person with the best proven record for pit, show, weight pull etc..,? Just general opinion, write in your opinion what makes a person a good dogman/dogwoman to you.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: What's a good dogman?   What's a good dogman? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 7:59 pm

its not nessarely someone that shows their dogs. Alot of what goes on in dogmen is mostelly knowledge of the breed. Any *edited* can put their dog on a mill and show his dog. But to be a true dogman i think you need to know health jenetics Mental and physical limitations of the dog. Training it all falls into play. You dont have to show a dog and make ch or gr ch to be a dogman you dont even have to own a ch or gr ch to be a dogman. Its all about the time and effort you want to put into and dedication in the breed of any breed to be a dogman.

Let's keep this civil, no personal attacks. ~ lovemypits

Last edited by lovemypits on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edit for content.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What's a good dogman?   What's a good dogman? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 am

Well I think that someone would have to have at least some knowledge of the dog and its conformation, temperment and maybe actually have a little respectablity and maybe speak the truth in what they say that way when ppl ask them something an they know they will get a strait anwser. I dont think every tom dick and harry is a dogman and I beleive a true dogman does compete in whatever choice of sport he wants to It test the dogs. To see if the dog is worthly of breeding or keeping in a program. if thats showing weight pull or whatever it is. I consider myself not a dogman I surely dont know enought and I dont have enough time in the breed I only have about 25 yrs. and I dont beleive that thats enough. but I gaurantee that I do have integrity and I do tell that true to the best of my knowledge so I guess that I have 2 of the 3 huh...
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: What's a good dogman?   What's a good dogman? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 1:26 am

I like the way you put it Mike. I am waaay new to the breed, but one thing I have noticed is respect is a huge issue. It also seems that the people, doesn't matter if they have 5 years of experience or 50 years of experience see the importance to always learn something about this breed.
Back to top Go down
blacksunshine

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-05-30

PostSubject: Re: What's a good dogman?   What's a good dogman? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 8:13 am

from a historical perspective i think this says alot.. (of course this was pre-1976.)

AS STOLEN FROM THE SPORTING DOG JOURNAL

1. keep gameness first and foremost - if he doesn't want to compete, he will not win. Put gameness first,everything else will follow.

2. Find the type of dog you like and a reputable dog man that uses it - If you like barnstormers,look for a dog man that has been winning with that particular bloodline.

3. Start with a pup or tested brood bitch - Learn how to raise pups. Experience is the best teacher, from feeding to schooling young dogs.

4. Cull Hard. - Test every dog you feed when you feel they are physically and mentally ready. For most dogs that means between 18-24 months old. When testing dogs,never fool yourself into adding or deducting anything but the truth in what you see in a prospect.

5. Associate with serious dog men only. - Backyard and internet doggers are hurting the sport and the breed. an experienced dogman can help you with the questions you will have.

6. Go into the best competition you can find. - Your dogs as a whole will become better and will gain some respect in the game.

7. Breed with a purpose. - Always look to add traits by outcrossing or retain traits by inbreeding. Be selective and do your research before making a breeding.

8. Demonstrate good sportsmanship. - Aviod trash talking. Let your dogs do the talking.

9. Take pride in your dogs and your yard. - The way your dogs and yard look is a reflection of you. Feed the best, never keep more dogs than you can feed and take care of. Daily yard cleanup is essential.

10. Never forget that these animals are not machines. - there is no such thing as an unbeatable dog. Give your dog 110% effort and don't worry about things you can't control.
Back to top Go down
godsdogs

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-05-08

PostSubject: Re: What's a good dogman?   What's a good dogman? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 8:02 pm

a good dog man is just a man, a man that is all about his best friends, who just so happens to be of the four legged kind,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's a good dogman?   What's a good dogman? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's a good dogman?
Page 1 of 1