Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

i use this to pick a pup

Go down 
+2
lovemypits
midwest_showdogs
6 posters
AuthorMessage
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

i use this to pick a pup Empty
PostSubject: i use this to pick a pup   i use this to pick a pup Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 11:56 pm

this is a very good way to pick a new pup it has worked for me and my father for many years.
10. Submission and Aggression test Revised:
This three step test is based from Universal Canine behavior. Using three progressive subtle signals that dogs share in communicating for ranking and finding their position in a pack.
1st signal is the Stare: Dogs in nature will challenge for position by staring.
Tester: will go down to the dog/puppies level and initiate and hold eye contact until response is made from pup/dog. Reactions vary according to a dogs inherent submissive or dominant vitrtues: ie; avert gaze, lick at testers face, continue to stare back, ignore.
2nd signal is Verbal: If dogs challenge the first step, in nature the next level is they will growl at the other dog to get their statement across challenging for dominance.
On a pup, Tester: will be verbal using a friendly voice or counteract with a low sounding voice to interact the pup into responding. Note reaction and response.
On an adult dog, Tester: will enforce a basic command to engage a response from dog.
Reactions and the time it took to recieve response and/or refusal to obey is noted.
3rd Signal is Physical: If neither dog is willing to accept a higher ranking dog in the natural order, the next and last resort is a challenge by physical force, the last move for dominance. This can result in a light scuffle to a full blown dog fight some serious enough to the death or until one dog is the victor and alpha above the other. With non serious scuffles usually one dog will stand over or hold the lower ranking dog down on its back and this will be sufficient.
Tester: will "Roll" the pup/dog onto its back and hold it until the pup/dog stops struggling, or if the pup/dog does not challenge the human, for 20 seconds.
Care should be given with adult dogs who show strong alpha tendencies and who may challenge the human on the verbal and physical test.

The tester/handler must prevail over the dog when enforcing rulership.
A dog who wins will think it can challenge the authority of humans and become a serious potential threat and dangerous animal.
This test may not be for everyone, It is not an easy or pretty task to correct an unruly, dominant dog.
Dogs are animals, with a carnal ingrained blueprint to be a canine and are equipped with a full set of choppers and the instinct on how to use them. They live in the moment.
This should never be forgotten even amidst their cute and cuddly wiles.
Of course there are many more things we do but i think this might be the most inportant...
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: i use this to pick a pup   i use this to pick a pup Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 12:22 am

Good pointers.. sometimes I wonder how people pick out a puppy. I mean.. really we got harley because he was the only male that was 95% brindle, and I got sasha when we went to pic up harley and the other female i was gonna take was not social at all.. at the last min sasha came available and she was nestled in my neck sleeping in my hair.. lol.. so i took her.. Not to mention she was cute as a button. I guess I got lucky ....
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: i use this to pick a pup   i use this to pick a pup Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 1:18 am

Good pointers indeed, and for the most part that is same way I pick.
Back to top Go down
Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: i use this to pick a pup   i use this to pick a pup Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:09 am

I like the Volhard puppy aptitude test and Puppy Puzzle

http://www.dogfolk.com/puppypuzzlevideo.htm

http://www.workingdogs.com/testing_volhard.htm
Back to top Go down
Southern Boy

Southern Boy

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: i use this to pick a pup   i use this to pick a pup Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 5:38 pm

I did a couple thing i was taught first i watched all the pups playing to see how they were interacting. Second after i did that and saw a couple pups i liked i went into the pen area let them all check me out sniff me then i moved away from them all. Third i called them i said come here and 3 of the pups came to me one of them i wanted then i just moved away and watched them again i didnt command them one of the pups came to me on it's own. Next i moved away one more time and called them all 1 pup came and it was the one i wanted. I did 3 of the test that were mentioned in the above article and the pup past all 3 tests so i took him home:) And viper (my pup) Has turned out to be a very smart and outstanding dog. Well so far. LOL
Back to top Go down
glencf

glencf

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: i use this to pick a pup   i use this to pick a pup Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 7:28 pm

i simply put them on there back ............if they wiggle and fight dominate if not passive .................worked so far for me .....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i use this to pick a pup   i use this to pick a pup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

i use this to pick a pup
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Training/Behavior-
Jump to: