Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

shot pitbull

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
godsdogs

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-05-08

shot pitbull Empty
PostSubject: shot pitbull   shot pitbull Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 11:14 am

I know a guy here in Mo, that has just had his pit shot by his neighbor. It was not on a chain, not threatening anything, just running through the woods playing. The old man that shot her pretty well had to chase her into the woods to get a shot off. What can be done legally in this situation? This dog was not concidered a working dog just a pet. We do not currently have a leash law or any type of BSL legisation.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

shot pitbull Empty
PostSubject: Re: shot pitbull   shot pitbull Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 11:16 am

Whose property was the dog on? Did the guy call the police to report the shooting? How about animal control maybe? Sorry for the loss of his dog.... always sad to hear these stories.
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

shot pitbull Empty
PostSubject: Re: shot pitbull   shot pitbull Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 5:59 pm

I don't know the laws in MO...But the law in PA is if you see a dog chasing a deer you can shoot it...The reason I bring this up is because if MO has the same law, the Old man can just say that the dog was chasing a deer, and so he shot it, which would mean the owner couldn't do a thing.
Back to top Go down
godsdogs

shot pitbull Empty
PostSubject: Re: shot pitbull   shot pitbull Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 11:13 am

the dog was not on his own property, the dog was running with a shepherd after being scared out of the yard by lightening, the owner of the apbt, is as sad as they get. He rescued this dog after it was abandoned at a car accident
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

shot pitbull Empty
PostSubject: Re: shot pitbull   shot pitbull Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 1:30 pm

Unfortunately, I do not think the owner has any rights in this case because the dog was not secured on his property. It is a shame for the dog. Hopefully the owner learned a hard lesson and secures his yard so he doesn't lose another canine family member in the future due to escape.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

shot pitbull Empty
PostSubject: Re: shot pitbull   shot pitbull Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 10:18 pm

That really sucks but I have to agree I don't think there is much that can be done about it.
Back to top Go down
godsdogs

shot pitbull Empty
PostSubject: Re: shot pitbull   shot pitbull Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 1:10 am

I think that the law hear requires your dog to be considered a working dog to be compensated for the loss. I have talked to the owner and he also states that he would be charged with neglect for not securing the dog on his property if he was to follow through with charges against the man for the man acting in a non humane manor.

Thanks for everyones concern toward this case, the part that is a tragedy is not only that he lost his friend, but the owner of this dog had his life turned around by a battered stray pitbull., all the while taking great pride in this new found friend. Everyone that he introduced the dog to cringed at the pitbull, and he still told them of her love and introduced them to a whole new world of a loving pitbulls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

shot pitbull Empty
PostSubject: Re: shot pitbull   shot pitbull Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

shot pitbull
Page 1 of 1