Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about socializing the puppies.....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
marlenadee

marlenadee

Female Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Question about socializing the puppies..... Empty
PostSubject: Question about socializing the puppies.....   Question about socializing the puppies..... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 12:22 am

Let me start by saying that I take the pups EVERYWHERE with me.We go to the lake to the park to the feed store friends houses they play with other dogs and see new people constantly and are very friendly. Now yesterday my sis n law came over with her sister who loves puppies and saw them playing with the toy that hangs from the tree and was so impressed she wanted to go outside to meet them, Well they did not approach her as if they wanted to bite her but they began barking at her at a distance. That has me very confused b/c they are so friendly with everyone,the only thing I could think of is that I introduced someone to their stomping grounds wrong.But in any case if someone is ok by me shouldn't they be ok as well? IDK is there anyone that can make heads or tails of this,Did I do something wrong or do they just need to be corrected in situations like that? I appreciate any help in advanced.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=marlenadee
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Question about socializing the puppies.....   Question about socializing the puppies..... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 11:42 pm

well I would bring her to them again and intro them again if they do it again like that . quickly grab there necks and put them down to the ground and tell them no!!!!!! then have the person that was barked at and have them stand over the dog that will show that that person is over them no matter what it sounds to me like they were scared I have one question do you let alot of ppl in your back yard or there area outside before?
Back to top Go down
marlenadee

marlenadee

PostSubject: Re: Question about socializing the puppies.....   Question about socializing the puppies..... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 1:02 am

No only ppl who live in the house.
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Question about socializing the puppies.....   Question about socializing the puppies..... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 3:13 am

Goodness! Don't do a dominance theory with the puppies.

I've had pups bark at strangers before. I try (any breed mind you) to make it a positive experience. Allow them to approach the person on their own. If they're barking/boofing at the person, discourage the behavior using a squirt bottle or a shaker can. Once they stop, have the person they're boofing at reward the quiet behavior. That way they know that person has good things.

Forcing the pup to submit when startled/nervous can create even more fear issues. Patience is a virtue in this aspect. And if all else fails, look into a puppy/basic obedience class that exposes the pups to all sorts of people/sounds/items.
Back to top Go down
Boogieman

Boogieman

Male Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Question about socializing the puppies.....   Question about socializing the puppies..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 5:18 pm

marlenadee wrote:
Let me start by saying that I take the pups EVERYWHERE with me.We go to the lake to the park to the feed store friends houses they play with other dogs and see new people constantly and are very friendly. Now yesterday my sis n law came over with her sister who loves puppies and saw them playing with the toy that hangs from the tree and was so impressed she wanted to go outside to meet them, Well they did not approach her as if they wanted to bite her but they began barking at her at a distance. That has me very confused b/c they are so friendly with everyone,the only thing I could think of is that I introduced someone to their stomping grounds wrong.But in any case if someone is ok by me shouldn't they be ok as well? IDK is there anyone that can make heads or tails of this,Did I do something wrong or do they just need to be corrected in situations like that? I appreciate any help in advanced.
Marlena,

I got your pm, sorry I haven't answered sooner but I've been out of town for about 9 days. I'll do my best to answer what I believe is going on here.

What I would do in this situation is firmly tell the dog no and put the toy up out of reach and play time is OVER! All dogs need to know that any human is above them in the pack. Exerting yourself as pack leader and ALWAYS being the one who makes the decisions is what has to take place. (i.e. putting the toy up since he barked at her) Just like you say when the dog can eat, you say when the dog can play.

From the description you have described it doesn't seem as though you have a huge problem...........YET. Corrective behavior now should head off any issues IMO. My overall advice is, always be in charge and NEVER let the dog go uncorrected for ANYTHING! In their world there is no "political correctness" or family services to call for being a harsh parent. It's all about who can be dominant to them. If you let them dominate you in any small way then you are asking for future challenges from them whether it be in the form of aggressiveness or simply not listening on recall. Heck it could be anything.

When they do wrong, scold them and a little pop on the butt sure don't hurt none. I would NEVER beat a dog though.

When they do good, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE and LOVE! When they learn what pleases you, they will almost always do what makes YOU happy if you are truly the pack leader.

If this didn't answer your question let me know and we'll talk more. While I Addressed the specific situation at first, I led into the rest as a guide for follow up.

Good luck.

Boogie
Back to top Go down
marlenadee

marlenadee

PostSubject: Re: Question about socializing the puppies.....   Question about socializing the puppies..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:04 am

Thank you very much that makes sense,a balance of love and discipline .Just like raising children :-)
Back to top Go down
marlenadee

marlenadee

PostSubject: Re: Question about socializing the puppies.....   Question about socializing the puppies..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 am

Shadow wolf......Squirt bottles huh? I have heard of that idea before I will try that. I don't have a problem with a little pop on the butt as Boogie suggested but they are so strong my hands probably wouldn't phase then much.LoL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about socializing the puppies.....   Question about socializing the puppies..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about socializing the puppies.....
Page 1 of 1