Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

think about it!!!

Go down 
+7
Mason
Boogieman
pitmamma
Dunlap
sedaliapridekennels
lovemypits
mrs. midwest_showdogs
11 posters
AuthorMessage
mrs. midwest_showdogs

mrs. midwest_showdogs

Female Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-11-18

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:11 am

I have seen people that suggest the apbt can no longer be what it was or is without fighting. I've seen where it was said this dog cant be considered a pet. Also that this dog was created by being chained raised. Also it's been said that people who find information on this breed in books or call their "pit" a pet are stupid people. I talk to people like this more often then I talk to apbt owners. I face theses people at city council meetings. I met them when I was at our state capital speaking againist BSL. They come up acting as a apbt lover or owner and end up being on the other side of the battle lines. They try to trick you into saying the wrong thing or dismantling your defense by twisting your words. They love a crowd to win over. I have been cautioned by Apbt owners of old to choose your words carefully when these people surface. I do know what this dog was orginally breed for. I also see so many other breeds that no longer are used for their orginal use. Times change and people can create new sports for theses dogs to compete in. Gameiness isn't the willingness for one dog to go after another. Its definition is the willingness for a dog to complete a task that is asked of him no matter what the cost. The only two real faults this dog has, is that it is a canine ,carrying basic canine habits. Second, that this canine is incredibly strong. When those basic canine traits arise " lets say being territoral of its chain area or house" the effects of an apbt is going to be greater than a dachshund. If you visit with a real "die hard" dog breeder of any breed they will tell you they strive to preserve the "type" of a dog and lean towards that type with the attitude they want in their line. There also are thoses breeders who are simply competitors who are looking to fix their dogs faults in what ever their sport of choice is. I choose this breed because I see a very versitile dog. The apbt with the right disipline, socialization, and training can fit the roles from family pet to a working dog. Not all dogs have this range. Any breed of dog can be a pet but not all breeds are built to preform tasks. They can preform duties from working in therapy where this dog is expected to pull from it's own resources to assist with our needs at times with out a person using any words, to using brute strenght to move thousands of pounds simply when its told to. Its a shame that there are people that put this dog in a box and preach "that this is all this dog can do." I personally feel that the dog being able to work in this wide of a range has more brain capacity than those feeble minded people with their "boxes" Lets give those owners who found an area their dog can function a little credit instead of grief. We as owners have to always remember that all dogs are canine. They don't think like people. Always be alert to basic canine behavior. It would be nice if the world knew our dogs for licking too much or taking more than their share of the bed as we do. A dog is a product of it's environment. Think about it !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.licalotkennel.com
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:20 am

Good post patty. You make many good points.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 3:27 am

ok i really like this pist i think it neeeds to be a sticky post..
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 am

Very good post, this is my favorite part Wink

"A dog is a product of it's environment."

But the way it "strikes" me, enviroment is more than where he is contained....it also includes his treatment from it's owners, from how he is cared for in ways of food, watering and housing.... to how he is given "proper" attention in ways of working, walking and as simple as basic "company".

....very nice post Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Very nice post Patty. Thank You
Back to top Go down
Boogieman

Boogieman

Male Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-10-06

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 6:08 am

mrs. midwest_showdogs wrote:
I have seen people that suggest the apbt can no longer be what it was or is without fighting. I've seen where it was said this dog cant be considered a pet. Also that this dog was created by being chained raised. Also it's been said that people who find information on this breed in books or call their "pit" a pet are stupid people. I talk to people like this more often then I talk to apbt owners. I face theses people at city council meetings. I met them when I was at our state capital speaking againist BSL. They come up acting as a apbt lover or owner and end up being on the other side of the battle lines. They try to trick you into saying the wrong thing or dismantling your defense by twisting your words. They love a crowd to win over. I have been cautioned by Apbt owners of old to choose your words carefully when these people surface. I do know what this dog was orginally breed for. I also see so many other breeds that no longer are used for their orginal use. Times change and people can create new sports for theses dogs to compete in. Gameiness isn't the willingness for one dog to go after another. Its definition is the willingness for a dog to complete a task that is asked of him no matter what the cost. The only two real faults this dog has, is that it is a canine ,carrying basic canine habits. Second, that this canine is incredibly strong. When those basic canine traits arise " lets say being territoral of its chain area or house" the effects of an apbt is going to be greater than a dachshund. If you visit with a real "die hard" dog breeder of any breed they will tell you they strive to preserve the "type" of a dog and lean towards that type with the attitude they want in their line. There also are thoses breeders who are simply competitors who are looking to fix their dogs faults in what ever their sport of choice is. I choose this breed because I see a very versitile dog. The apbt with the right disipline, socialization, and training can fit the roles from family pet to a working dog. Not all dogs have this range. Any breed of dog can be a pet but not all breeds are built to preform tasks. They can preform duties from working in therapy where this dog is expected to pull from it's own resources to assist with our needs at times with out a person using any words, to using brute strenght to move thousands of pounds simply when its told to. Its a shame that there are people that put this dog in a box and preach "that this is all this dog can do." I personally feel that the dog being able to work in this wide of a range has more brain capacity than those feeble minded people with their "boxes" Lets give those owners who found an area their dog can function a little credit instead of grief. We as owners have to always remember that all dogs are canine. They don't think like people. Always be alert to basic canine behavior. It would be nice if the world knew our dogs for licking too much or taking more than their share of the bed as we do. A dog is a product of it's environment. Think about it !!!
while i do believe this is a very good post i do NOT think your definition of gameness is true to the breed. there are a many of dogs who could perform a task asked of it's owner.....say running 20 miles through the snow......but would cower if it was being taken apart by another dog. most dogs would choose survival over staying to fight. this is the most sought after trait in the old days when matching dogs was legal. i realize now days there is no use for the trait as matching dogs is NOT legal today, but to change the definition to fit our needs now is not giving the old school dogs the credit they deserve in my opinion. to say my dog, your dog, or any dog is game, when we have absolutely no idea is just not right. this is a debate that has raged on for many years between owners of the breed and i am in no way trying to start an argument or anything. i just feel that as the breed moves fwd into the modern day era we shouldn't confuse gameness with the willingness to complete a task.....aka drive. it is 2 totally different things in my humble opinion.

just some food for thought! like i said i liked your post alot!
Back to top Go down
Mason

Mason

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-12-13

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 2:14 pm

Good post I like it a lot. There were some important points in there and this one is very true "I have seen people that suggest the apbt can no longer be what it was or is without fighting. I've seen where it was said this dog cant be considered a pet. Also that this dog was created by being chained raised. Also it's been said that people who find information on this breed in books or call their "pit" a pet are stupid people. I talk to people like this more often then I talk to apbt owners. So true!
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 9:06 pm

what a great post but i guess i have to say that cuz she is my wife lol
Back to top Go down
woody d

woody d

Male Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-12-21

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 3:05 pm

midwest_showdogs wrote:
what a great post but i guess i have to say that cuz she is my wife lol
it was a good post, but thats a pretty good reason to agree Smile
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 12:53 pm

bump!!
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:09 pm

i go to go back to the word gameness. I want to change my opinionon it. I used to be on the front line believing that gameness was only proven in the box. But i also compete in other events like weightpull. The dog is using all its straingth and will to do a simple task that is amaginable. For example i once knew a dog that would litterally keep going even though it woldn,t pull over 7000 pounds but it wianted to keep going without quiting. Then look at rescue dogs. throwing themselves in a firey building just to save a child and not coming out till its task is complete. This i would call gameness he could die just to save a life. Then we go to the stoy mike posted now that i would call gameness. It would fall on the lines of fighting but not really. The dog was staying alive and kept going to save a child from a threat. This is a verry good post.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:10 pm

and you know people can say what they want about it but whe it comes down to it execially in weightpull unless you do it yourself you dont even realize what kind of dedication that the dog puts into this event. Not all can do it Not all will. But this is strictely IMO. Everyone is entitled to their own.
Back to top Go down
apbtproud

apbtproud

Female Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2007-12-27

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:46 pm

Very GOOD post..
Back to top Go down
http://www.apbt.meetup.com/252
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 am

Hmm, this is a very good post, however I think that all of you are right about your view of gameness, but the definition varies from breeder to breeder, and dog to dog, it really depends on what game the dog is bred for as to how his/her gameness should and can be measured. Example" a labrador retriever is probably one of the gameness bird dogs on the planet, but put it in a box and you wouldn't bet your last $2 dollars, but at it's own event of this breed excels w/o the will nor desire to stop until the task has been completed. But because the task or jobs for the pit bull has varied from time and region it causes this kind of topic as to how to measure it's gameness, as I said before gameness is a matter of opinion and need of the individual dog/owner.
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 pm

bump!!! wanted some new opinions
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:11 am

i got some i,m writing an article on i,ll post it when i get finished
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

think about it!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: think about it!!!   think about it!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

think about it!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Pit Bull Related-
Jump to: