Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FW: [RDOWS] SFBTRL speaks up at Palm Beach Mandatory Spay Ne

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rdowsdirectoratlarge

Male Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-10-03

FW: [RDOWS] SFBTRL speaks up at Palm Beach Mandatory Spay Ne Empty
PostSubject: FW: [RDOWS] SFBTRL speaks up at Palm Beach Mandatory Spay Ne   FW: [RDOWS] SFBTRL speaks up at Palm Beach Mandatory Spay Ne Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 3:32 am

Rolling Eyes
For the most part the meeting went well. Many of the speakers on the Commissions side were good, even the ones that moved towards the passing of the law made good points. It appeared only the shelters seemed one sided. And by the way one of my rescues was INDEED boated in from Argentina, this is an outrage! And they want to shut breeding down?

Then there was the outright wrong statements and statistics that came out. And several people in the audience told me that the Assistant City Attorney was an ex employee of PETA? I am still checking this out her last name is Cox, and I have not looked at the news footage to get her full name and title, she may be the Attorney for the shelter. If anyone can get me this information that would be greatly appreciated. The statement that the UK is good to their dogs blew a lot of us away.

The majority of people agreed to a non mandatory spay and neuter program offered through vet vouchers in the entire County. (although we cited health issues and other concerns not directly related to being a breeder) This would remove the breeder “tax” from the legislature altogether and make it completely voluntary. And this was a result of the 6 MONTH, yep you got it 6 MONTH waiting list to get low cost spay and neutering from Palm Beach Animal Care and Control.

I was the only speaker interviewed by the press after the meeting went to public discussion. The Palm Beach Post took many photos of me and asked me questions after I sat down. Of course I came strait from work and looked like a BUM!

My point was in a nutshell was, there is no pet over population problem…. there is an OVERPOPULATION OF IRRESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS! (I was being flip of course) 60,000 dogs a year in PB county is half the number at a shelter I rescue from that puts down over 30,000 yet in one shelter. We have tons of shelters in Palm Beach, and no where’s near the population of Dade. There must be 7 shelters here and at least 8 severely prominent rescues, I am talking 80,000 dogs under their belts! But Palm Beach at least acknowledges the FL ban on breed legislation where Miami simply blows it off.

Footage of meeting courtesy of Channel 20 will be available on www.pbcgov.com

The next meeting is Jan 15th and by then we will have a huge barrage of reasons why there should be rescue groups and other professionals on the main speaking agenda and not just in the public part of the meeting. I need 15 minutes to address each item.

I will let you know if I get in the Palm Beach Post or not, there were a few rescues such as Save a Pet there, that would easily trump me with 79,000 rescues so far. That is amazing…

Joe Morweiser, Director
South Florida Bull Terrier Rescue League Inc. (all volunteer 501(c)3 public charity)
BTCA - BTCTB - MBTCA
www.jbullterr.com
An ever evolving 501c3 non-profit Bull Terrier Rescue; fund raising and information Corporation.
Back to top Go down

FW: [RDOWS] SFBTRL speaks up at Palm Beach Mandatory Spay Ne
Page 1 of 1