Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pen

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
confederatemule

confederatemule

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-05-24

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 2:25 pm

I have a question about, outside, permanent, dog pen wire. {In case you do not call them dog pens, I apologize for using the wrong words, but that is what I call them.}

What size {gauge} wire?
What type {chain link, cattle panels, hog wire, etc}?
What brand?
How high?
How large an area for one dog {full time}?

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mule
Back to top Go down
jbh38

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-08-26

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 1:22 pm

We have 10x10 Magnums, I don't trust chain link at all.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 2:20 pm

Your best bet is use a chain and axle setup. I Have had several kennels and the dogs just rip holes in the chainlink. Now orclans and MFA sells some really dam nice kennels. I would go that way but expect to spend anywhere from $600 to 1000 but you get what you payfor. if you do that I would buy concrete foundation to go with it and go ahead and build a roof on the top
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
confederatemule

confederatemule

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Can you give a little more detail? I figger the 10x10 is how long and wide the pen is, but I don't know what Magnums is. Brand of wire, maybe?

I am sorry for being so dumb.
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 2:49 pm

sedaliapitbulls wrote:
Your best bet is use a chain and axle setup. I Have had several kennels and the dogs just rip holes in the chainlink. Now orclans and MFA sells some really dam nice kennels. I would go that way but expect to spend anywhere from $600 to 1000 but you get what you payfor. if you do that I would buy concrete foundation to go with it and go ahead and build a roof on the top

That is more than I have to spend. It looks like I will continue with what I have. Chains and a 50'x30' single pen, made of rusty, rotten 2x2 welded wire. In reality, the only thang that keeps a dog in is the electric wire about 8" off the ground and 12" inside the fence. They learn very quick to respect it.

The world has made leaps forward in the amount of cost for material. I have made leaps backward in income.

Thanks fer your reply.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 4:02 pm

yes I understand that. I recentelly took one hell of a paycut. so I have had to cut back on about everything that I do and have. Well except my bikes anywhey LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
confederatemule

confederatemule

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 5:24 pm

sedaliapitbulls wrote:
yes I understand that. I recentelly took one hell of a paycut. so I have had to cut back on about everything that I do and have. Well except my bikes anywhey LOL

Uh-ho! What kind of bikes?

I have 3 interests other than God {#1}and family {#2}.

Fishing, dogs, and scooters. I do not know in what order these are. I don't do much of any anymore cause of costs and health. Hunting was big on the list when I was able to walk more than a few yards.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 2:38 am

Tractor Supply sells some strong kennels but they're too expensive for my wallet. I dont like to use anything smaller than 10'X20' pens and they are the regular ol' chain links ones. You just have to know which dogs will "stay put" and which ones will destroy it to get out. You could put up a couple of deviders in the pen you have now in order to keep the dogs seperated though.

But I too prefer chains to pens. You wont need anything thicker than 1/4'' though... Infact, an 1/8" thick chain will hold most all dogs but there are a few that NEED 1/4" thick ones.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
confederatemule

confederatemule

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 5:06 am

I may try dividing the pen I already have, which will mean more gates.
I have acquired a new dog, which I needed like another hole in the head. It has put a large kink in thangs.
He is 6 years old and useless, but he is mine now. He has a lot to learn. He was raised in the middle of a bunch of coon hounds. Played with roughly as a pup and then not at all as he got older. He is rough, wants to put his teeth on ye, like a puppy does and knows no obediance at all. He was fed well and watered and hollered at, but nothin else.
He is a good lookin dog{in my opinion} and smart. He'll figger me out as time goes on. He just wants to be wanted.
He is still intact, but I think he shoots blanks. I bred him to my female, her first time around, and got nothin. That was 2 years ago. I just now bred him to her, but I doube it will work.
I sure wasted a lot of you folks time, I'm sorry bout that.
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Pen Empty
PostSubject: pens   Pen Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 5:27 am

i use horse panels and 4by4 in concrete attack with horseshoe nails if you build it right theyll never get out [b]
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:38 pm

I'll have to check them out. I am familiar with cattle panels, but not horse panels. I been out of the horse business fer nearly 30 years.
Thanks fer your reply.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen   Pen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pen
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: The Camp Fire :: General-
Jump to: