Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[RDOWS] TN: Pit bulls banned in Dyer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rdowsdirectoratlarge

Male Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-10-03

[RDOWS] TN: Pit bulls banned in Dyer Empty
PostSubject: [RDOWS] TN: Pit bulls banned in Dyer   [RDOWS] TN: Pit bulls banned in Dyer Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 8:24 pm

There is a comment box after the Article, use the link.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/NEWS01/710150307/1002
Pit bulls banned in Dyer

By TONYA SMITH-KING
tsmithking@jacksonsun.com
DYER - If you don't already own a pit bull here, you can never get one. At least, as long as you live here.
The Dyer Mayor and Board of Aldermen passed an ordinance in late September banning the ownership of pit bulls and other vicious dogs within the city's limits. Those who already own such breeds can keep them.
But they must comply with certain requirements for possessing them in the ordinance and buy annual permits, according to a copy of the ordinance at the city's Web site.
There's also a new ordinance capping the number of dogs and cats residents can own.
"The mere possession of pit bulls posses a significant threat to the health, welfare and safety of Dyer's citizens," the ordinance says. "... Current methods of control by pit bull owners in the city have proven to be insufficient in protecting the public."
The ordinance says other cities have found the dogs to be dangerous and have enacted legislation restricting and prohibiting their ownership.
Mayor Scott Jewel could not be reached Sunday evening for comment.
"I don't think they should" ban them, resident Frank Halford said Saturday.
His 11-year-old son got an American pit bull as a gift when he was 9. The dog was "laid back, gentle," and they never had any problems with it, Halford said.
"I thought I'd heard they were good with kids, very protective of them," he added.
Halford said he doesn't see pit bulls or vicious dogs running loose in town. He usually sees people walking them on a leash.
Minister Jesse Austin of Dyer agreed with the ban. He has a 6-month-old black Labrador retriever.
"I think that's a wise idea because those dogs were beginning to attack people a lot," Austin said of pit bulls. "I think they ought to be banned."
Those who already own the dogs must buy an annual permit for $30 to continue to keep them in the city, the ordinance says. Owners must appear in person at the Dyer City Recorder's office when making an application for a permit.
A second ordinance limits the numbers of cats and dogs at a single-family residence to six over the age of 6 months old, the ordinance says. Those at multiple-family residences can't have more than two dogs or cats over the age of 6 months.
The ordinance does make exceptions such as for single-family residences located on lots which are five acres or larger, the ordinance says. The ordinance states that city officials have determined that "the keeping of large numbers of dogs and cats on residential property has an adverse impact on the value of neighboring properties."
The ordinance also says that large numbers of animals on "residential premises is detrimental, or liable to be detrimental, to the good order, health and general welfare" of Dyer residents.
Both Austin and Halford agreed with that ordinance.
"I'd kind of go with that," Halford said. "There's too much overpopulation of that, anyway."
On the Net:
www.cityofdyertn.com
Visit jacksonsun.com and share your thoughts.
- Tonya Smith-King, 425-9680
Back to top Go down

[RDOWS] TN: Pit bulls banned in Dyer
Page 1 of 1