Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Parvo Virus Out Break

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Parvo Virus Out Break Empty
PostSubject: Parvo Virus Out Break   Parvo Virus Out Break Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 4:36 am

Subject: Parvo Virus is back...Please spread the word!

Hey guys, My name is Cathy and I am Vet Tech at an animal hospital in Brockton, MA. Brockton is in the middle of an epidemic of Parvo Virus. I am trying to spread the word because most of the dogs/puppies that we see come in with Parvo are pitbulls. I have three pits myself and I in love with the breed. I've been to a few of the shows in topsfield and I figured you guys would have a much larger network than me and be able to pass the word around. Please ask or tell as many people as you can to get their dogs/puppies vaccinated. It's mainly in Brockton right now but as you probably already know...Parvo spreads like wild fire and will soon spread to the neighboring towns. I HATE to see dogs (especially pitbulls) die from something that is so easily prevented. Thanks for you help!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
Attila

Attila

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Parvo Virus Out Break   Parvo Virus Out Break Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 7:12 pm

lets touch on how to prevent this issue in our yards, home and kennels.

This isn't new and every state has its years or seasons of out breaks.

We have some aspects we can control, some we can minimize and others we have no control over at all.

We may wonder how it is that we keep our dogs in a fenced in yard or what ever and never allowed to wander the neighborhood and such. However there are vectors that bring it in such as cats, rats, mice, squirrels, rabbits, birds, stray pets and so forth. Cats being the worst offenders as they have a wider territory to terrorize and contaminate. We can either minimize or not control these issues. To minimize you have to do some work. Trapping, shooting, poisoning (which must be controled). I do all three.
Treating the soil, kennels, home etc.

Start from the top and work your way down. Buy a spray container that hooks to a water hose, buy a few gallons of industreal bleach. Spray the exterior of your house, base of trees, srubs, kennels and on down to the ground of your intire yard or property and if you can get away with it or have permission cross over to the ajoining properties for maximum range. Follow this up by spreading Hydrated lime on the soil of your yard, kennels and such. Make sure you move dog houses and any non fixed objects and get under them with both the bleach and lime. It is best to have about 2-3 days between the two (bleach spray and lime spreading). I do this every quarter. Some do it twice a year some three times. I do it four times as I live in a hot and humid climate. Parvo is a living organism and it will multiply and thrive with gusto with the right invironments. All living things eat, drink and need oxygen. We can't control nature.
Welping and raising of pups. We must keep the mother, welping boxes, and kennels sanitized and as clean as God givingly possible, Immunize on a proper schedule, worm them, and make sure their dietary intake is suitable. If you have to suppliment the mothers milk with goat milk. Part of why dogs get parvo is a deprivated immune system. Propper neutrition can help avoid that issue. It is best to keep pups with in the confines of the sanitized area till they are at least a week after their second set of shots. Keep in mind that you still have to keep the vectors out of your yard and your dogs in your yard. Containment, confinement and control. I know some people like cats, however they wander, get into stuff, mess with rodents and then bring all that contamination back and as a result your yard, home and belongings become contaminated because of them. discusting creatures. But if you are into cats and love the dang things keep them put up and keep them clean. Don't let them wander about if you desire to avoid contamination or some neighbor getting sick of them contaminated their yard. Keep your dogs in the yard it belongs to. And we will all be much better off. I have been called mean before because of my policy of no outsider pets being allowed in my yards. However they don't pay my vet bills or buy my chickens and livestock. I have to keep all stray animals out of my yards, kennels, farm and so forth. Cost too much money not to and 22 shells are much less expensive than buying more sheep, chickens and paying large vet bills. It is for the safty of all owners and their pets to keep them confined to the property of the respected owners. Otherwise we would have to spray every day. And for those that let their pets wander all over into other peoples yards expect them to get pissed, expect that they may not afford the contamination or be willing to gamble that another person keeps their stuff as clean as you do, expect that pet to come up missing (some call animal control, some use other means to get rid of the offender) and expect that some person will seek you out and deal with you. I know I do. I don't ever let my dogs wander.

You see we all have a part in control of viruses, parasites and the spread of them by our pets. What we can't control is those people who are not responsible enough to do the same and don't have respect for others. We also can't control what God does. It rains when it does, It is humid when it is and warm enough for growth when it is.

We can control what we do and we have methods to keep the spread in our own yards, providing we can keep vectors out as much as possible. Avoid dog parks or any other public places with pups not yet immunized, and any dog with a deprivated immune system. Yes adult dogs can and do get parvo. I know that people watch the tv and see folks taking their dogs to parks and all that happy stuff but it is a breeding and brooding ground for parasites, virus's and desease. Go at the risk of your own pet. Don't be suprised when sparky gets sick. It is better if you feel the need to socialize to do so in a controled place. Something you know has been sanitized and with dogs you know that have been immunized and parasite free. Believe it or not dogs are very content with their family pack which is you and your other dogs.

Oh and one more thing flea, tick and mosquito control and prevention. They are vectors for parasites and desease also. All elements we must control along with the vectors and our own yards and pets.

Any way those are my views, observations and oppinions.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Parvo Virus Out Break   Parvo Virus Out Break Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2007 9:38 pm

Great post Wink

Here lately, I've been killing nasty ass Armadillos on a regular basis. The little $hits arent scared of anything and will go right up to my my dogs.... :/ I was walking the yard late the other night trying to find out what they were going nutts over and damn near stepped on one and he never even ran away and was about 2' from Sadie......So I fed him a bullet and sent him on his way lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parvo Virus Out Break   Parvo Virus Out Break Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parvo Virus Out Break
Page 1 of 1