Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Requirements for a "buyer"?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cbow

cbow

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-06-11

Requirements for a "buyer"? Empty
PostSubject: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 4:43 am

I am on several pit forums, but most are rescue, not sure if I should ask this there.

In ten years or so I will be looking for a new "pit".

I would like to know what GREAT breeders or rescue orgs. require for a owner to buy or rescue?

My job (traveling construction) requires me to live a certian lifestyle and I don't think that I can get a dog from either unless I settle for a nonresponsible breeder or rescue or just take my chances.

I have a long time to do this but I would like some info. on it.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 4:59 am

Me personally, I keep 99% of the dogs born here... But when you do buy a dog, make sure it isnt from someone who "specializes" in certain sizes or colors. Just get to know the person and visit their yard a few times before you make a decission. Pay attention to how their dogs are cared for and how they talk about them. Make sure that they know their dog's lineage instead just saying they are red nose, blue nose, gator, ect. Most good breeders dont have pups very often and dont sell to just anyone who has money.

Are you wanting a dog for breeding, show, pull, hunting, ect. Or are you just looking for a pet? If you just want a pet quality dog, I think you'd be better off adopting unless you want to know your dog's history.

Maybe by the time you are ready for a dog I'll have something that I'd let go, maybe. And being that it is gonna be so long before you do anything, it'll give me time to get to know you Wink

cbow wrote:
I am on several pit forums, but most are rescue, not sure if I should ask this there.

I would like to know what GREAT breeders or rescue orgs. require for a owner to buy or rescue?

My job (traveling construction) requires me to live a certian lifestyle and I don't think that I can get a dog from either unless I settle for a nonresponsible breeder or rescue or just take my chances.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
cbow

cbow

PostSubject: Re: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 5:23 am

I am looking at few colors and traits (that is why I am asking questions now), but I have a LONG time to decide where to look.
I will be looking for a "friend", someone who will be desexed and be at my side.

Weight pull as exercise, swimming and dock jumping for fun, lots of walks and fetch, flirt pole, naps and what ever we find as a intrest to keep us enjoying life.

NO $1,000 fat heads.

Just curious about what the reqirements would be. From what I have read on other sites I would not be able to rescue or buy from some breeders.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

PostSubject: Re: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 6:52 am

It sounds like you'd be better off adopting since you just want a "friend" or you might find a breeder letting some pet quality pups go. Alot of rescues require you to have the dog altered, you must have a fenced in yard, some back ground chechs are done, ect.

But I'm curious, why would you not be able to get a dog from some rescues or breeders?

cbow wrote:
I am looking at few colors and traits (that is why I am asking questions now), but I have a LONG time to decide where to look.
I will be looking for a "friend", someone who will be desexed and be at my side.

Weight pull as exercise, swimming and dock jumping for fun, lots of walks and fetch, flirt pole, naps and what ever we find as a intrest to keep us enjoying life.

NO $1,000 fat heads.

Just curious about what the reqirements would be. From what I have read on other sites I would not be able to rescue or buy from some breeders.
Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 12:43 pm

I am curious to know why you would not be able to get a dog from a good breeder or rescue as well.

I place puppies on a case by case basis so i can't answer your question for you unless i know the situation.
Back to top Go down
cbow

cbow

PostSubject: Re: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Quote :
But I'm curious, why would you not be able to get a dog from some rescues or breeders?

My Job. I travel eight months out of the year, so no fenced yard or a "normal" life style.
There is a plus side to my jog, my dogs get to go with me to work, they are with me 24/7 and we work in some very rural areas where they can run.
Back to top Go down
cobra633

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 1:56 am

Dunlap wrote:
Me personally, I keep 99% of the dogs born here... But when you do buy a dog, make sure it isnt from someone who "specializes" in certain sizes or colors. Just get to know the person and visit their yard a few times before you make a decission. Pay attention to how their dogs are cared for and how they talk about them. Make sure that they know their dog's lineage instead just saying they are red nose, blue nose, gator, ect. Most good breeders dont have pups very often and dont sell to just anyone who has money.

Are you wanting a dog for breeding, show, pull, hunting, ect. Or are you just looking for a pet? If you just want a pet quality dog, I think you'd be better off adopting unless you want to know your dog's history.

Maybe by the time you are ready for a dog I'll have something that I'd let go, maybe. And being that it is gonna be so long before you do anything, it'll give me time to get to know you Wink

cbow wrote:

I've heard of planning ahead,but 10 years........ Shocked You are lucky if a place stays in business that long.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

PostSubject: Re: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 3:55 am

cobra633 wrote:
Dunlap wrote:

cbow wrote:

I've heard of planning ahead,but 10 years........ Shocked You are lucky if a place stays in business that long.

I plan on "having" this breed until the day they put me in the ground lol. Now will I still be keeping most all of what I produce?....most likely Wink lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Requirements for a "buyer"?   Requirements for a "buyer"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Requirements for a "buyer"?
Page 1 of 1