Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

conformation?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 3:57 am

This does and doesnt involve "showing" but I'm gonna post it here anyways.

Have any of you ever had a dog that developed an under bite as a pup but it went away as it got older? I have a dog (7 months) that has PERFECT conformation according to ADBA standards BUT, she's developed an under bite over the past month and a half to two months. I'm really hope'n that she grows out of it but I dont know if she will.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 4:32 am

anyone?

Out of ALL the dogs I have now and have owned in the past....this is the FIRST time I've ever come across this and it's pretty disapointing to say the least.
Back to top Go down
shadycracker

shadycracker

Female Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-06-26

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 5:07 am

im sorry josh but it dont go away. cracker is perfect for conformation but he undershot
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 6:08 am

Will that completely put them out of shows or do they just lose points?
Back to top Go down
geisthexe

geisthexe

Female Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-06-23

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 am

Here are the Standards on the Teeth for ADBA, AKC & UKC. I hope all this will help you.

ADBA Standards
10.Teeth, incisors should meet in the front in a scissor bite. Canines should be wide at the base and taper to the end, top canines fitting tightly together behind the bottom canines. They should be sound and healthy with none missing.

Major faults: Merle color pattern or albinism. (White dog, blue or pink eyes, lacks pigment)

Faults: Longer coat, fringed hair on tail or elsewhere, bobbed tail or any tail other than straight.

Disqualifications: Man aggression, one sided or both sided cryptorchid, spayed or neutered dogs

"THIS MEANS THEY CAN NOT DISQUALIFY YOU FOR HAVING A DOG THAT HAS A REVERSE SCISSOR OR IS UNDERSHOT."

AKC
Muzzle - Medium length, rounded on upper side to fall away abruptly below eyes. Jaws well defined. Underjaw to be strong and have biting power. Lips close and even, no looseness. Upper teeth to meet tightly outside lower teeth in front. Nose definitely black.

Faults
Faults to be penalized are: Dudley nose, light or pink eyes, tail too long or badly carried, undershot or overshot mouths

"THIS MEANS YES POINTS LOST AND IF THERE IS A BETTER DOG IN THE RING YOU WILL FALL BEHIND THEM."

UKC
TEETH - The American Pit Bull Terrier has a complete set of evenly spaced, white teeth meeting in a scissors bite.

Fault: Level bite.

Serious Faults: Undershot, or overshot bite; wry mouth; missing teeth (this does not apply to teeth that have been lost or removed by a veterinarian).

"SAMETHING AS AKC, A FAULT AND THEY WILL PLACE A BETTER DOG OVER YOURS."

None of these mean disqualification. So if you are planning on showing the dog in Conformation your best bet would be in ADBA.

Deb
Back to top Go down
http://vigilantkennels.com
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks, next question..As far as showing in the puppy classes, are points taken off for pups that are losing baby teeth, so they are kinda funny looking?
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Oh I know it's a fault, I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it happen to a younger dog before and then it go away with age?...
Back to top Go down
geisthexe

geisthexe

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 12:31 am

pitmamma wrote:
Thanks, next question..As far as showing in the puppy classes, are points taken off for pups that are losing baby teeth, so they are kinda funny looking?

No most of the time they over look what is happening in a pups mouth. They are more looking on the structure of the dog and how he/she is developing.
Like one of my Presa puppies: I was showing her dam and her at a show. And the judge said this is that females mother. He said minus color she looks just like her. And told me that she will be one to watch in a ring as she will become a very nice looking specium for the breed.
Back to top Go down
geisthexe

geisthexe

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 12:33 am

Dunlap wrote:
Oh I know it's a fault, I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it happen to a younger dog before and then it go away with age?...

Yes I have seen it come and go in a pups mouth but in your case no. This breed is not like a mastiff where they continue to grow until they are 3 yrs old. Your pups mouth is pretty much set to what it will be.
Back to top Go down
Attila

Attila

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-05-26

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Never had one develop then go away. However if it isn't drastic it will not likely ever be an issue for showing. Only if there is a close tie between your dog and another will it ever come up. No reason why you should have a problem getting her points for championship. However you may want to keep it in mind if you plan to breed the dog later. I wouldn't worry about it unless it turns into something gastly and starts looking like an english bull dog or to say my ex wifes mother.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 5:18 am

It's doesnt seem "as bad" as it was but it's definately still noticeable...I've just never seen this happen before. I havent been able to get into photobucket for about a week now, but I'll post pics when I can. She's 8 months now and weighs about 20-25lbs. I've never done any showing before but I know she'd do great and make her way to the top in no time...with exception for the under bite issue :/

LOL at the ex-mother in law. Was she Bulldog/Indian mix?...always sittin on her ass bark'n or on the war path lol.

Attila wrote:
Never had one develop then go away. However if it isn't drastic it will not likely ever be an issue for showing. Only if there is a close tie between your dog and another will it ever come up. No reason why you should have a problem getting her points for championship. However you may want to keep it in mind if you plan to breed the dog later. I wouldn't worry about it unless it turns into something gastly and starts looking like an english bull dog or to say my ex wifes mother.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

conformation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: conformation?   conformation? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

conformation?
Page 1 of 1