Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OFRN

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

OFRN Empty
PostSubject: OFRN   OFRN Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 6:24 am

The first big splash made by the red noses was back around 1900 when the great breeder William J. Lightner, utilizing Old Family Red bloodlines, came up with some red-nosed dogs that really made a name for themselves. Now Lightner once told me that he did not breed for that red-nosed coloration. In fact, he did not even like it and he only put up with it because the individual dogs were of such high quality. Eventually, Lightner gave up on the red-nosed strain when he moved from Louisiana to Colorado, where he came up with a new strain that consisted of small dark-colored dogs with black noses. He had given up on the other strain because they were running too big for his taste and because he didn't like the red noses.

At this point in our story, we come upon a comical, but highly-respected, figure in the personage of Dan McCoy. I have heard old-time dog men from all over the country talk about this man. Apparently, he was an itinerant fry cook and not much of a success in life judged by normal standards, but he didn't care about that. But what he did care about were Pit Bull Dogs, and he had a wealth of knowledge about the breed. His uncanny ability to make breedings that "clicked" made him a respected breeding consultant and a most welcome guest at any dog man's house--even if he had just dropped off a freight train!
Always with his ear to the ground regarding anything that involved APBT's, McCoy got wind of the fact that an old Frenchman in Louisiana by the name of Bourgeous had preserved the old Lightner red-nosed strain. So he and Bob Hemphill went to that area, and with the aid of Gaboon Trahan of Lafayette, they secured what was left of the dogs. McCoy took his share to the Panhandle of Texas and placed them with his associates L.C. Owens, Arthur Harvey, and Buck Moon. He then played a principal role in directing the breedings that were made by these fanciers. And from this enclave came such celebrated dogs as Harvey's "Red Devil" and Owens (Ferguson) "Centipede." Hemphill eventually kept only dogs of the red-nosed strain. According to Hemphill, it was McCoy that first starting using the term "Old Family Red Nose" for the strain.

Another breeder who was almost synonymous with the red-nosed strain was Bob Wallace. However, Bob's basic bloodlines was not pure Old Family Red Nose. But in the late 40's, he was looking for the red-nosed strain in order to make an "outcross.." (Bob was a scrupulously careful breeder who planned his breedings years in advance.) Unfortunately, he found that the strain was nearly gone, most of it having been ruined by careless breedings. He managed to obtain seven pure red-noses of high quality whose pedigrees he could authenticate. The strain was subsequently saved for posterity and in the 1950's became the fashionable strain in Pit Bull circles. In fact, it was Bob Wallace who wrote an article in 1953 called "There is no magic in Red Noses" in which he tried to put a damper on the overly enthusiastic claims being made by some of the admirers of the strain. No more fervent admirer of the Old Family Reds ever lived than Wallace, but he obviously felt that the strain could stand on its own merits.

Many strain have been crossed with the Old Family Reds at some time in their existence. Consequently, nearly any strain will occasionally throw a red-nosed pup. To many fanciers, these red-nosed individuals are Old Family Red Noses, even though the great preponderance of their blood is that of other strains. Sometimes such individuals will fail to measure up and thereby reflect undeserved discredit on the red-nosed strain. However, as Wallace said, the red noses should not be considered invincible either. They produce their share of bad ones as well as good ones--just as all strains do.
As a strain, the Old Family Red Nose has several things going for it. First, it is renowned for its gameness. Second, some of the most reputable breeders in all Pit Bull History have contributed to the preservation and development of the strain. People like Lightner, McClintock, Menefee and Wallace, just to mention a few. Finally, as McNolty said in his 30-30 Journal (1967) "Regardless of one's historical perspective, these old amber-eyed, red-nosed, red-toe-nailed, red-coated dogs represent some of the most significant pit bull history and tradition that stands on four legs today."

http://www.oldfamilyreds.com/oldfamilyredshistory.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

OFRN Empty
PostSubject: Re: OFRN   OFRN Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 6:56 am

Ross' Red Devil 8xw
OFRN Ross__Red_Devil

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=979

Zeus
OFRN 26620zeus03

Last edited by on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
Whiskybent

Whiskybent

Female Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-06-16

OFRN Empty
PostSubject: Re: OFRN   OFRN Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 7:54 am

Well thank you, sir, for pointing me in this direction Smile
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-05-24

OFRN Empty
PostSubject: Re: OFRN   OFRN Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 7:41 pm

As I mentioned in another post, none of my dogs are registered. I am sorry to say.

Both of the pits have red noses and amber eyes. I got the female, as a puppy, from a friend of a friend and the male is her puppy. Their ears are not cropped so they do not look like they have an enormous heads nor are they as mean lookin. Although his head is a lot bigger than hers. They are not real wide in the chest and they are taller than most I have seen.

Her head is out of shape because she kissed a car that was going 60 miles an hour.

I would really like to have a registered OFRN male & female, but, being disabled and with no income that is out of the question.

Besides there is no way I could part with the 2 I have. I could not ask for better dogs.

There was no reason for me to post this I just thought it so I typed it.

Mule
Back to top Go down
215pitts

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-01-31

OFRN Empty
PostSubject: Re: OFRN   OFRN Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 2:23 am

It's a shame, a lot of people don't give these dogs the respect they desire!
Back to top Go down
RedHeat

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-04-16

OFRN Empty
PostSubject: Flame Tree's Geronimo Hoss DNA-P VIP @ 6 month's   OFRN Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 2:50 am

OFRN 04710

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=334939
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

OFRN Empty
PostSubject: Re: OFRN   OFRN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OFRN
Page 1 of 1