Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Demodectic mange

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SchismaticKennels

SchismaticKennels

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Demodectic mange Empty
PostSubject: Demodectic mange   Demodectic mange Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 11:43 am

Cureable or not cureable?

Breedable or not breedable?

I've heard so many different opinons on this topic, so whatever information you know, or can find for me please let me know.

Thanks,

Chelle
Back to top Go down
Attila

Attila

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-05-26

Demodectic mange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demodectic mange   Demodectic mange Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 11:06 pm

curable? yes!

Breedable? well maybe. Here is what I have learned. The genetic fault lies in the immune system. However not soley is it genetic. Several factors lead to mange, also there is more than one type of mange. The condition of the Dams immune system, her diet, conditions of the brooding box, welping box, kennels, etc. , also condition of the genetic code the SireX Dam of dog in question. Mange is a mite. A small parasitic bug that infests some dogs. All dogs, humans, and other beasts of the earth have these mites living on their flesh at all times. Some times a rash of another cause can be diagnosed as mange when in reality it can be a allergy to some feed or other source. When a scrap is done many vets will call it mange when they find the mites in that scrap. The deal is they will find the mite in dang near all scraps. An infestation is just that an infestation, there will be many in a small area. That is an infestation. So many people go through the dippings, antibiotics, oral meds and run up hundreds of dollars only to find no cure for what was called mange even after a negative scrap. Yes you can kill all them on the dog for a short period of time. And also yes many dogs do get mange and it be just that. However many do not have it as well. Dogs have been put to sleep due to these rashes not knowing any other solution to them. When it could have very well have been a food allergy or an allergy to some other source (just as humans are). They can be allergic to their bedding, plants, grass, your cat, just as any other animal dogs can have allergy problems.
Mange (Red, demo etc) can be treated using the dippings and oral Ivamectin very effectively especially when used in conjuntion with one another. Also insuring your dogs immune systems health. These are harsh chemicals and resquire you to be on top of the dogs intake of nutrients. If not any other time it be important to give the dog vitamines this is it. I suggest Red Cell, two raw eggs, and a tsp of olive oil with every feeding during treatments. Also for pregnant and lactating bitches.

Now for the breeding of said dog male or female at a latter date given you ever find a cure for the condition. That is a ethical question and one of how often do you wish to cull or have some one get P/O ed at you over a pup that contracts this condition down the road. I would suggest you do not use such a dog in your breeding program. Even if it was due to depressed immune system the dog can still pass on a faulty gene. And unless you do extensive studies on genetic faults and the know your dogs genetic code, you will never know the true reason that dog broke out. And weak immune systems, allergic conditons and many other faults are passed on genetically. Even from the Sire. They can still be very wonderful pets, just not for breeding purposes.

Mange is passed from surface to surface. Normally from the Dams skin to the pups skin in nursing pups. Later times when the system becomes deprivated for what ever reason the dog can get infestations from the mites that live on its self. The healthy immune system keeps mites of this sort in check. They still remain but in low enough numbers not to cause issues.

Keeping your dogs healthy and conditions sanitary help a great deal. This is a practice that helps in so many ways. Reducing Parvo, other mites, insects, parasites and so forth.
Back to top Go down
SchismaticKennels

SchismaticKennels

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Demodectic mange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demodectic mange   Demodectic mange Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 12:36 am

Thanks for all the information!
Back to top Go down
Attila

Attila

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-05-26

Demodectic mange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demodectic mange   Demodectic mange Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 5:30 am

no problem.
Back to top Go down
Sam~I~am

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-10-12

Demodectic mange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demodectic mange   Demodectic mange Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 5:04 pm

this is Thor who has demodex when i first got him almost 3 months ago
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
this is him last week
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

do not breed a dog with demodex....(i willl put more info in when i have more time)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Demodectic mange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demodectic mange   Demodectic mange Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Demodectic mange
Page 1 of 1