Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Old is Old Enough?

Go down 
+2
nagbehr
mindovermatter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

How Old is Old Enough? Empty
PostSubject: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 4:02 am

I am going to post this here and lets try and keep this civil PLEASE..

I am just curious as to what everyone thinks is the "correct" age to breed thier dogs male and female?

and please also let me have the answer to the question "why?" when you post.

I know some people on here do not breed.. If this is you we would like to hear what you think about the approiate age to breed a dog as well..

Please letts not get into the whole .. NO ONE should be breeding debate here that is not what this post is for.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
nagbehr

nagbehr

Female Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 4:22 am

I've heard the best time for a female is when she comes into her second heat.. but don't hold me to it.. i'm not a breeder. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/megandwade
SchismaticKennels

SchismaticKennels

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 11:01 am

Man there are so many debates about this topic, and if people were completely honest you would hear so many different things.

Personally I won't breed a dog till second heat. Usually this gives her time to reach her full maturity, and show me her true self. It would also give you time to earn titles etc.
But do I think its detrimental to health if you breed younger? No.
While I realize we aren't breeding wild animals, In the wild, wolves, coyotes, etc. Breed on first heat. A "HEAT" is natures way of letting the male dogs know that she is ready. And before someone argues the point, it is NOT like a childs first menstral period.

On my males, I would prefer to stick it out till he has reached 15-18 months or older. But if something was to happen and I had an older female that I needed to breed, to take her out of the program, and I didn't want to wait. I may breed earlier.

There are always different stipulations for different things, and people will always change their minds, and go against their better judgment for "special" cases.

Chelle
Back to top Go down
lovemygottibabies

lovemygottibabies

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 4:54 pm

I've heard Second heat with females, and at least 15 months with males.

Just what I've heard
Back to top Go down
SchismaticKennels

SchismaticKennels

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 8:06 pm

I figured you'd get alot more replies than this. huh....
Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 8:37 pm

yeah i thought so too.. I think some people are "afraid" to say what they think .. on other boards it would cause them to get bashed.... so this open style of talk is not something some of them are used to.

Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 8:53 pm

here are my ideas/thoughts on what is the correct age to breed a dog or a female..

for me i like to wait untill they are 2 years old I like to give them a chance to become the dog that they will be at maturaty. Some dogs don't "finish" growing untill they are 3 or 4 even.

Some lines are slow to mature some are a bit faster. So for me it depends on the line but i like to wait untill atleast 2 years to breed any dog.
Back to top Go down
nagbehr

nagbehr

Female Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 9:26 pm

This is the type of thing you would easily get bashed for on any other forum... I can understand people being afraid to reply. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/megandwade
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 9:32 pm

nagbehr,

yes and i understand that .. this forum was made for the sharing of ideas and information for ALL owners of this breed.. we don't all see eye to eye on what is what. I appricate everyones views on subjects.. I might not agree with everyone but who am I to say what some one else does with their dogs?
As long as I feel i am doing right by the dogs in my yard and the dogs that have been produced from my yard. That is what matters to me.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 3:38 am

For a female (IMO), no sooner than she reaches 2 years old OR her third heat. For a male, once he shows that he is a "good dog"... if he "has the tools", let em' use em'. Sometimes a female is capable of careing for a litter at her second heat, but not always.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
Attila

Attila

Male Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 6:21 am

Well the least I use in either male or female is 24 months. That can be even the fourth heat for that matter. It isn't really the age I focus on but that is the minimum age. I use both sexes in hunting so both have to be good dogs and suitable in traits to what I require in the field. Also have the personality traits at home and with people as well. I like the dog to always conform to standards and more importantly to the standards I desire. I tend to like them no more than 45 pounds. I do get them larger than that out of the breeding but I desire them to be at most that. but I will not cull a dog just because it goes over that. I just won't use it to breed with later down the road. Not to say larger dogs are not good. Just that I don't desire them. Nothing wrong with the 60 pound dog at all. I would rather them not be smaller than 35 either. So with in the standards one must set their own set of standards to what they want. And have the dog perform what ever requirements one desires as well. Some hunt wild animals with dogs, some do weight pulling, some strictly show, I show as well just not as often as others. I like shows and think they are great and allot of fun. I would rather some one handle my dogs in the show ring though and not me. I used to love that part but not so much any more. It is much more fun to watch the dogs for me.

I know you asked a simple question, I just felt the need to give more than an age to start breeding them.

Though the males testicles have dropped by one year old one should wait on the dog to mature and show his temperment in adult form before guaging on its need or use as a stud. Same with a Female. Some dogs don't come into their mental maturity till three for that matter. I think a person should know how that dog acts tempermentally, physically and how the dog conforms to breed standards in its adult form before even thinking about using it to breed with.

However this is just my oppinion. And every one has one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Old is Old Enough?   How Old is Old Enough? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Old is Old Enough?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: The Camp Fire :: General-
Jump to: