Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Color Genetics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 5:49 pm

I am starting this topic to see who here has color genetics info for our breed.. color genetics has been something that i have always been facinated with and i was learning quite a bit a few years back when i was playing a dog game .. yes a dog game lol we used color genetics for the dogs so that pups would come out with proper true life colors for their breeds. so some one didn't breed black to fawn and get merle ha ha...

anyway there are so many color combos for this breed and i think it would make a great topic of discussion and we can all get a bit of learning in about colors and what is inherted and what is carried and what is not, ect and so on.

thanks to all that are willing to participate in this discussion.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 7:20 pm

mindovermatter wrote:
I am starting this topic to see who here has color genetics info for our breed.. color genetics has been something that i have always been facinated with and i was learning quite a bit a few years back when i was playing a dog game .. yes a dog game lol we used color genetics for the dogs so that pups would come out with proper true life colors for their breeds. so some one didn't breed black to fawn and get merle ha ha...

anyway there are so many color combos for this breed and i think it would make a great topic of discussion and we can all get a bit of learning in about colors and what is inherted and what is carried and what is not, ect and so on.

thanks to all that are willing to participate in this discussion.

I'm a little lost on what you are looking for...I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 8:39 pm

ok i will try and explaine it a bit better for you...

if you have a black dog and want to breed it to another black dog .. some people will think all you can get are black puppies BUT in reality you can get .. Black, and red and blue out of the litter depeneding on what is carried in the dogs ped.. Take a white dog for instance it is NOT white white is just a cover color over another color a totally white dog that is not an albino can actually be a black dog under that white as white only covers color ... ect and so on.

what i am trying to do here is start an interesting discussion that every one can join in and we can all learn a bit as we go ..
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 12:36 am

I'm still a little confused but I'll give it a try lol.

Boudreaux is white with brown on half of his face and brown on the base of his tail. Ladie was pretty much all black with white feet, white on her chest and stomach and white in the middle of her face. All of their pups came out with white as the dominant color. White w/black on two of them, white w/ fawn w/blk ticked mask on one, and the others are white w/brown.

Boudreaux X Sadie.. Sadie is red/buck skin with a black mask and a tad bit of white on her chest and toes. I had two white w/brown pups, and one fawn buckskin pup w/a black mask and a little white on his chest.
Back to top Go down
SchismaticKennels

SchismaticKennels

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 1:20 am

Yea I'm pretty confused, but figure this one out. Wink

But I was pretty shocked with this one, at first.....I do have blue lined dogs afterall.

Bred a black brindle male, and a black brindle female, came out with 2 brindle pups w/ white chests just almost identical to their parents. And I got this lil male out of the deal too.

Color Genetics 100_0403
The Dam
Color Genetics Bouncer27
The sire
Color Genetics ChanceTaz020
Makes a Blue Brindle Taz
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 1:39 am

Blue is just a dilute of black anyways so it's possible. Blue APBTs used to be a rare thing and alot of old timers would cull the pups because they thought there was something wrong with em'. Then the blue craze caught on and the once rare color was popping up everywhere and now people can get 3xs as much for a blue pup as they could for a brindle/red/or white pup in the same litter.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 3:28 am

Well, I am not really a breeder, but my dogs harley and princess had a litter before I was able to get her fixed. Harley as you all know is Brindle with a white patch on his chest, and princess was a redish color (boxer/bulldog mix) with black mask. She had 8 pups, one twin to harley, another brindle, one like her color, and the other five looked like my sasha (harley's sister).

Harley and Sasha's mom was a white pit with light brindle patches, their dad was a redish/fawn boxer. Out of 11 pups, harley was the only one with full brindle (except white chest), two had brindle patches on the body, the other eight puppies looked like sasha just the white on the faces was in different shapes or eye patches of white. Oh, ALL pups had white tips on their tails! Harleys disapeared as he grew up, but sasha still has hers!!
Back to top Go down
SchismaticKennels

SchismaticKennels

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 11:33 am

Dunlap wrote:
Blue is just a dilute of black anyways so it's possible. Blue APBTs used to be a rare thing and alot of old timers would cull the pups because they thought there was something wrong with em'. Then the blue craze caught on and the once rare color was popping up everywhere and now people can get 3xs as much for a blue pup as they could for a brindle/red/or white pup in the same litter.

Yep. But to people that don't know that bit of information, it shocks them everytime. The possiblities of this litter were, Blue, Buckskin, Red, Brindle, Black. The lineage is what the colors depend on. I'm never surprised with a blue puppy, but was a little taken back when he was born.
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

Number of posts : 65

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 4:02 am

I don't personaly have a probem with a blue dog say in 1 out of a 1000 its when you have 10 blue dogs out of 11 that shows your breeding for color alone Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.game-dog.com
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 5:11 am

marty wrote:
I don't personaly have a probem with a blue dog say in 1 out of a 1000 its when you have 10 blue dogs out of 11 that shows your breeding for color alone Wink

exactly.

I'd like to own a good little blue dog but I havent found one worth getting yet. But then again, I'm pretty satisfied with what I've got right now and not really looking to buy so... It's just crazy how people ask so much money for them based on their color...
Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 8:46 am

Ok guys here is a link to an example of what i was talking about.. yeah it says for Great Danes but color genetics are color geneitics for the most part just some breeds don't have all the colors in their pedigrees

http://www.netpets.com/dogs/reference/genetics/striptease.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Color Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Color Genetics   Color Genetics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Color Genetics
Page 1 of 1