Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clean mouth ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Clean mouth ? Empty
PostSubject: Clean mouth ?   Clean mouth ? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Who's mouth is cleaner and humans or a dogs?
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Clean mouth ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean mouth ?   Clean mouth ? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:35 am

From what I understand this is kind of a misconception. Dogs eat dead animals, dig in trash, lick their butts etc. It's said that a human can't contract some of the bacteria from a dog "kissing" them. On the other hand, a human can contract from another human, for example staph infections. But the dogs mouth is not actually cleaner because of what dirty things they may eat.
Back to top Go down
wmssh

wmssh

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Clean mouth ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean mouth ?   Clean mouth ? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:38 am

they had this topic on myth busters awhile back -
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Clean mouth ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean mouth ?   Clean mouth ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Clean mouth ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean mouth ?   Clean mouth ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:14 am

Seening what my dogs get into...I would have to say human, lol.....
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Clean mouth ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean mouth ?   Clean mouth ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:46 pm

interesting, as i just got an email regarding this subject, just yesterday.
it was stated, that yes, it's a myth.

i'll copy/paste it.

Fiction. This misconception regarding the cleanliness of dog's mouths probably originated from the thought that most diseases are species specific. This means that most communicable canine diseases, with the exception of rabies, do not generally affect humans. While it is true that dog bites are less likely to transmit a communicable disease to a human, they are still quite capable of causing an infection.

Dog's mouths are filled with all kinds of bacteria, depending of course upon what the dog had in its mouth recently. When you consider that dogs use their mouths much like people use their hands, the bacteria counts in their mouths can be quite high. Suppose your dog has been eating fecal material, taste testing a dead animal, licking your shoe, or simply chewing on a stick that has been decomposing on the ground-your dog could have a nice selection of harmful bacteria cultivating within the mouth.

Next, imagine that after sampling the world with his tongue, you let your dog back inside only to receive salvia and bacteria smeared kisses over your hands and face. While canine kisses can be nice to receive, you really should wash your hands and face thoroughly before you prepare food, rub your face, etc...

also, speaking of mouths, did you guys know you can actually extend the lives of your dogs by up to 5 years, IF you brush their teeth? something else i just learned... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
Sponsored content

Clean mouth ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clean mouth ?   Clean mouth ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clean mouth ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Health-
Jump to: