Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should a pit bull be trained for guard?

Go down 
+7
lovemypits
SouljaKennels
woody d
sedaliapridekennels
pocketdunlap
pitmamma
midwest_showdogs
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
midwest_showdogs
midwest_showdogs

Male Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Empty
PostSubject: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 10:06 pm

give opinions
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:56 am

Umm that is a hard one. This breed doesn't (usually) have guarding tendencies. If bred properly, they should love all (most) people. I do like the idea of a dog (any breed) to be properly trained. I have talked to a few people that have dogs that are so well behaved that they were able to do this type of training with much success. BUT at the same time....these are really strong dogs and to think that one was trained but not properly (or in the wrong hands)...could end up being a very dangerous situation.
So I guess I didn't really answer the questiuon.
Would love to hear other's thoughts...

Last edited by pitmamma on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:59 am

No No No, personally I say we leave our breed out of it, pick something nobody would expect. Buy a gator,surely knowbody will break in, on the downside I don't think your friends will come over very often Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 am

Despite the fact we've spent a 100 years breeding the man biting aggression out of them -no since in going backwards
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 6:23 pm

if bred right trained right and used for the right puprposes i dont see why not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
woody d

woody d

Male Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 6:44 pm

i dont think ANY apbt should be used in this way. the tenacity combined w/ HA seems like a recipe for disaster. the breed gets blamed for enough attacks as it is considering JQP cant even identify breeds correctly anyway.
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 6:47 pm

Should a pit bull be trained for guard? %3Cembed%20width=" border="0" />

OK,try talking the cops out of shooting your dog and or charging you with vicious dog crime illregardless of the bs securty dog on premises signs up,you should have relized with all the hype right now this would probably be a piss poor desicion for anyone to make, how do you train your dog to make the judgement call on good or bad humans as far I'am concerned that is in no way shape or form a good idea to instill a human agreesive thought in any dogs mind,those of with kids regardless of the breed of dog you own should understand fully where I'am coming from.

Nice guard dog just bit your uncle in the face
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 6:53 pm

Back to top Go down
SouljaKennels

SouljaKennels

Female Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 7:21 pm

I honestly think with the right training and making sure the dog KNOWS what is right and wrong and when to protect and when not to (this comes with obedience and training) I think that with their keen sense of being fully aware of their surroundings and with their full willingness to please they make great 'guard' dogs. I also think this is why we have such a hard time with keeping our breed from being attacked by the media...people who own them with bad intentions train them to be attack dogs only because they are so willing to please humans. JMO Hope that made sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/souljakennels
woody d

woody d

Male Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 7:34 pm

have you ever saw an APBT really lay into something? its tough to call them off, even a really well trained animal. that is why a break stick is something all owners of the breed should have. now imagine that scenario only w/ a mans arm or hand in your dogs mouth. Rolling Eyes they do love to please their master, but its in their nature not to stop until the jobs finished. AKA never let go
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Soulja kennels I think you're missing the point horribly
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 8:42 pm

I mean what are you supposed go through on a series of trial and error to train them? Good luck finding volunteers! Sure go ahead come on in make sure you don't wear all black,a hat,sunglasses and oh yeah make sure you wear the same thing everytime.By the time a bulldog has time to pick up on your sent 99.9% it's gonna be to late and if I'am correct on this dogs have monocramatic vision(based on a gray scale)Having that said there are a million different variables to work with,sun causing shadows(you walk around the corner) dog here a noise outdoors(good luck getting them to calm down then your contradicting the watch dog mode)etc.....
Not trying to be rood but those of us that have been into bulldogs long enough know better
Back to top Go down
SouljaKennels

SouljaKennels

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 5:52 am

pocketdunlap wrote:
I mean what are you supposed go through on a series of trial and error to train them? Good luck finding volunteers! Sure go ahead come on in make sure you don't wear all black,a hat,sunglasses and oh yeah make sure you wear the same thing everytime.By the time a bulldog has time to pick up on your sent 99.9% it's gonna be to late and if I'am correct on this dogs have monocramatic vision(based on a gray scale)Having that said there are a million different variables to work with,sun causing shadows(you walk around the corner) dog here a noise outdoors(good luck getting them to calm down then your contradicting the watch dog mode)etc.....
Not trying to be rood but those of us that have been into bulldogs long enough know better

But I'm not missing the point at all. I HAVE trained with my dog for protection/guard. He let's go EVERY TIME I have ever asked him to. Like I said, it depends on the dog and level of training you put into it.

I do understand all views, I am just explaining from my own experience. I have seen those that simply should never be trained for this work and that NEVER let go...like I said...OBEDIENCE should always come first before this line of work should ever be done with a bull dog. Look at Diane Jessup...she does this work with her dogs and they are amazing.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:51 am

i dont get you guys you ask for opinions and others the ones that agree or the ones that dont disagree you bash them.

I agree if the dog is trained right just like any other breed just because its an american pit bull terrier dosn,t mean it cant be trained as a guard dog or Personal Protection. I have seen many american pit bull terriers along with hundreads of other breeds trained for this purpose it all plays in the same role and the same verables no matter what breed you have.

and for one if you cannot control your dog you have no business training it for that....

Your so worried about the media attacking our breed well your rong they will alyes attack our breed no matter what you do. Weather it is your dog protecting its guardians or if it is some stray attacking some kid down the road.

I SAY IF IT IS WHAT YOU WANT DO IT IF NOT WELL DONT DO IT........

If something goes rong then it is your responsability Right....
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 5:44 pm

sedaliapridekennels wrote:

I SAY IF IT IS WHAT YOU WANT DO IT IF NOT WELL DONT DO IT........

If something goes rong then it is your responsability Right....

Wrong, sort of. It is your responsibility, but times like these you need to know YOUR actions effect others in your area. If something goes wrong, the neighborhood could get in a tizzy and try getting BSL passed in your city. You think they'll say.. ooohh.. you were training it for protection and ooopsie.. okay we're cool.. Ha.. NOT.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, I would get a guardian breed to protect me.. or my dogs Wink.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Training a dog has more to do with the owner/dog relationship than anything else, but certain breeds are more adapt for guardian/protection work. I have personally owned a pit bull that I would trust doing the job of protection and guardianship, but also with that being said, I understand it's not the nature of the breed and isn't something to expect when looking for a pup, so I went a got a doberman this time. Can a pit bull be trained for protection or guardian work the simple answer is "YES" any dog can be. Would I recommend people trying to train them for the work "NO" b/c the avg person doesn't have the patience/time that it truly takes for this with a pit bull, and pit bulls lack one of the most important qualities which is barking b/c the first alert system in guard dog breeds is the ability to carry an imposingly loud and grimmising bark to detour intruders.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:54 pm

And also to add something to this line, and I hope not to offend anyone here when I say this, but the ideal pit bull is not massive enough for guardian/protection anyway, that's another main reason this breed should not be used for that kind of work, although they are very strong athletic dogs, but the pure bred dogs generally range from about 35- 55 lbs in weight, with the largest dogs coming in just abover 60lbs. So I hope i'm not offending anyone when I say this, but generally speaking if the dog your referring to as a pit bull doing guard dog work is more than 65-70lbs then the chances are, your pit bull has been mixed with a larger dog who's probably from a guardian breed anyway.
Back to top Go down
SouljaKennels

SouljaKennels

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 pm

alfisher3 wrote:
And also to add something to this line, and I hope not to offend anyone here when I say this, but the ideal pit bull is not massive enough for guardian/protection anyway, that's another main reason this breed should not be used for that kind of work, although they are very strong athletic dogs, but the pure bred dogs generally range from about 35- 55 lbs in weight, with the largest dogs coming in just abover 60lbs. So I hope i'm not offending anyone when I say this, but generally speaking if the dog your referring to as a pit bull doing guard dog work is more than 65-70lbs then the chances are, your pit bull has been mixed with a larger dog who's probably from a guardian breed anyway.

Actually my male is only 60lbs. He IS pure bred and I have the papers to prove it. But with that said, just because a dog is smaller that DOES NOT mean it cannot guard/protect. I probably agree with the barking (not always though as my dogs are constantly barking at passer by's). I don't know, I do however believe that done responsibly, a Pit Bull can be a GREAT guard/protection dog. JMO
Back to top Go down
sf1986

sf1986

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:53 pm

I agree with Fisher. From my experience the pitbull in not a natural gaurd dog. I base my opinion on my observations of the breeds' sleeping patterns. I have seen that pitbulls tend to be very heavy sleepers. Even a yard full of dogs will not make a peep from the beginning of the night until late in the morning. During daytime, they are as alert and active as any breed I have ever seen; they will bark up a storm during the day at the smallest provocation, but they sleep like the dead. My Patrick dog is so scary during the day that solicitors run off of the porch when they see her through the window in my front door; she is quite intimidating. At night time however, she rarely makes a peep, and when she does, I always get up and check it out, because she would not wake up unless it was something pretty loud; I often wonder if she would sleep through a break in. Also, after she is rolled up on the couch, she does not like to get up. On the other hand, I used to live with a couple of Rotwielers in the house. Unlike Pitbulls, those dogs are very light sleepers. Infact, I observed the male up at all hours of the night making rounds through the back yard; he did this consistently through the years. The dog seemed to be up more during the night than the day just walking around checking things out. He was naturally patroling and protecting; I think it was genetic. Further, he was about 120 lbs, had a huge head, and would bite people if he felt threatened. Lastly, based on my observations, a greater percentage of Rotwielers will bite people than pitbulls will; my guess is that the same is true for Doberman pinchers.
Back to top Go down
SouljaKennels

SouljaKennels

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 11:44 pm

sf1986 wrote:
I agree with Fisher. From my experience the pitbull in not a natural gaurd dog. I base my opinion on my observations of the breeds' sleeping patterns. I have seen that pitbulls tend to be very heavy sleepers. Even a yard full of dogs will not make a peep from the beginning of the night until late in the morning. During daytime, they are as alert and active as any breed I have ever seen; they will bark up a storm during the day at the smallest provocation, but they sleep like the dead. My Patrick dog is so scary during the day that solicitors run off of the porch when they see her through the window in my front door; she is quite intimidating. At night time however, she rarely makes a peep, and when she does, I always get up and check it out, because she would not wake up unless it was something pretty loud; I often wonder if she would sleep through a break in. Also, after she is rolled up on the couch, she does not like to get up. On the other hand, I used to live with a couple of Rotwielers in the house. Unlike Pitbulls, those dogs are very light sleepers. Infact, I observed the male up at all hours of the night making rounds through the back yard; he did this consistently through the years. The dog seemed to be up more during the night than the day just walking around checking things out. He was naturally patroling and protecting; I think it was genetic. Further, he was about 120 lbs, had a huge head, and would bite people if he felt threatened. Lastly, based on my observations, a greater percentage of Rotwielers will bite people than pitbulls will; my guess is that the same is true for Doberman pinchers.

Okay, I will agree to this. Pitbulls DO sleep hard. So in this instance they would not be a good guard dog, and I agree with you on the intimidation of the dogs during the when they bark at the slightest sound, DRIVES ME INSANE when I my dogs do that lol
Back to top Go down
pocketdunlap

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 12:21 am

For those of you those you that wish train your bulldog to be a guardian please don't let an accident occur because then you affecting those of us posting no,not a good idea-just stating do what you want-still a horrible idea IMO- don't be a news flash-please leave the k-9's out of it and take care your own dirty work-maybe excercise your right to own a hand gun-cause that one time your dog gets shot protecting you from an intruder,there goes all your hard work and boy would you feel like an ass-besides the fact that encouraging a guard dog stance w/your bulldog is half of what we fight in the inner city and you see where that has got us! please be careful this breed is on thin ice and anything those of us that don't need a "guard dog" can do to keep this breed we love out of it please do.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 1:40 pm

PDL I agree, pit bulls should not be specifically bred for guarding/protection, I think most people assume that a guard dog should go out and fight for their owners, that's not quite true, any K9 training class will teach the owner that the biggest advantage of having a guardian K9 is it's ability to ALERT the owner of intruders normally this is done with loud excessive barking, normally a deep bark scary bark, which most pit bulls do not have, they actually have a higher pitch bark. Also when teaching a K9 to be a guard dog, it's always a last resort having the dog risk his/her life, as PDL stated, normally the outcome is not good for the dog, but when it's life/death for your family and the dog is the last option to detour the intruder, only then should the dog be risked. And to those training pit bulls to bite people that's not a good idea, b/c letting go of its prey is not something that dog has been bred for it goes against everything the dog has taught for the past 100 years.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 11:00 pm

could it work with this breed? hell yeah! their will to please their owner's is 2nd2none~(yes, my user name on other forums) and i personally think they'd do great at it. i have one who actually is a better guard dog then my rotts!
but!

since this breed is already suffering from such a BAD reputation, why even add to that, as i envision the "pit bull guarding" stories already head-lining.... sigh....
i just don't personally feel this breed needs anymore negativeness to surround it.
but yeah, i think they'd do fine with it, PROPERLY /PROFESSIONALLY trained!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
frank ilona

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm

WELL THIS IS WERE I CAN SAY I REALY LIKE TO TALK,BECAUSE I TRAIN PITS NO MATTER WHETHER THEY ARE KNOWN AS MAN BITERS.I DONT TRAIN GAURD TRAINNING UNTIL THEY ARE FULLY OBEDIENT TRAINED .I TRAIN WITH A PASS WORD FOR EVERY ACTION EVEN WHEN UNDER ATTACK .
Back to top Go down
frank ilona

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 7:10 pm

i noticed that the pits are being dissed for no good reason, or maybe the ones doing it dont have a pit.has any of you ever tryed to stand for a pit under attack and then try to fight it of when this dog is trained for pressure.Have any of yous ever stand with an "attack sleave" when a pit hits you full on and drive those cutters in and clamp down whith hard driving moulders,wel do it and try them to other breeds and you wil be surprised and you wil changh your opinion of these beauties.pit love
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should a pit bull be trained for guard?   Should a pit bull be trained for guard? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should a pit bull be trained for guard?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next