Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Puppy food recomendation.

Go down 
+3
shadowwolf
suki
Nickcb
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Nickcb

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Puppy food recomendation. Empty
PostSubject: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 7:16 am

Right now i have been feeding my puppy Purina Beneful Puppy food. I was a wondering if that was a good brand to be feeding her or if there is something esle u all would recomend instead ? There is enough food left for a couple of days and so i was thinking about starting something else but i have no clue what else to try. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 11:44 pm

you can look here: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
and see if a product listed in there will work for you, dependant upon what you can afford to feed. Purina (imo) is pretty much at the bottom "of the scale" when it comes to a decent quality kibble.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 2:08 am

suki wrote:
you can look here: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
and see if a product listed in there will work for you, dependant upon what you can afford to feed. Purina (imo) is pretty much at the bottom "of the scale" when it comes to a decent quality kibble.

x2
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Find a good feed that works for both your dog and your budget, if the dog is healthy and doing well on the Beneful then I would suggest not changing if not then find something better, there are many choices when it comes to feeding your pet, I've seen pit bulls live healthy to average ages of 12-14 years eating "Ol Roy", and while others hardly make it to the age of 10 eating the premium brands, but again it's personal choice in what you buy and purchase, if the dog does well, a nd it's within your buying budget, and it's a feed you can purchase reguarly then that should be your choice. Not to say the dogfoodanalysis charts are in-accurate, but just like people all animals do differently based on their own personal nutrional needs. Happy food hunting.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:46 pm

alfisher3 wrote:
Find a good feed that works for both your dog and your budget, if the dog is healthy and doing well on the Beneful then I would suggest not changing if not then find something better, there are many choices when it comes to feeding your pet, I've seen pit bulls live healthy to average ages of 12-14 years eating "Ol Roy", and while others hardly make it to the age of 10 eating the premium brands, but again it's personal choice in what you buy and purchase, if the dog does well, a nd it's within your buying budget, and it's a feed you can purchase reguarly then that should be your choice. Not to say the dogfoodanalysis charts are in-accurate, but just like people all animals do differently based on their own personal nutrional needs. Happy food hunting.

x2

When my dogs were pups I fed them Purina One Puppy Chow. Sasha did great on it, harley (weak stomach) couldn't keep it down/or in. We then fed ol' roy, as we couldn't afford much else. The dogs.. honestly.. kept the food down and looked awesome (from the outside.. obviously i can't see the insides or tell how the nutrients or lack of were helping or not helping them...) but then switched to Diamond which worked well for awhile, but was still harsh on harley's stomach. Through trial and error, I have now found a food that sasha is not allergic to and harley's stomach does very well on. I agree with what Ant said, each dog will do good on diff foods diff than another dog. I think if you just find something that works well on YOUR dog and stick with it.
Back to top Go down
Nickcb

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 5:51 pm

Ya, she seems to be doing great on it, she's real active, happy, she seems to be fine, took her to the vet a couple weeks ago for shots and a check up and they said all is well. I was a wondering about something else, the wet dog food in a can, is it any better then dry dog food ? And what about sorta mixin it up every once in a while. Give her dry dog food, then next time i feed her give her a can of the wet? Or is it just better to find one dog food and stick with that ?
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 8:07 pm

When I had problems with Sasha eating I would mix some can in with her kibble to entice her to eat it. She goes through phases of not wanting to eat, and at least she'll eat if there is wet in it too. I prefer to just give my dogs kibble. I'm no expert but I'm sure it's good for their teeth rather than just swallowing down some wet food, as far as scraping plaque off or anything from the teeth...
Back to top Go down
Nickcb

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 10:12 pm

I bought Lexi, some different food today, i got her some Purina One. The first Ingredient is Lamb, and no by-products or cornmeal or stuff like that. Also got her some Purina Moist & Meaty packets. The number one ingredient was beef. I gave her one and she really seemed to like it.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 12:08 am

Nick once again my suggestion if the dog eats it and does well, then you've made the right choice, although a lot of people don't care much for purina, I've personally had a great deal of success using the feed, and besides they've been around like 50-60years longer than most of the other companies on the market today, so I assume they know their stuff after all this time when it comes to dog feed. I wish you the best and hope it works out for yah, but remember don't be so caught up on the brands and names just make sure your pet likes it and that it remains healthy when eating the food of choice.
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:48 am

Personally, I won't touch the stuff. The amount of chemicals used to process 99% of the foods that Purina makes is absurd. The only Purina product I'll even come close to considering to feed is Pro Plan Selects.

Seriously, read the Dog Food Analysis website and grade your foods. It gives the pros and cons to each and every food in an unbiased fashion.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:56 am

Purina was the first company to actually do a 15 year study on dogs that's pretty innovative for a crappy dog food company, but again it's all personal opinion, just be sure if you use one of the brands that are higher in protein that your actually working your dog a great deal, just like people and unactive dog eating extreme amounts of protein and not burning off the dog will run into many internal health problems from the load over load of protein. Just remember for the hundreds of brands out there, it's only a handful of companies that make them all that goes for the premium to the store brands. At the end of the day do what's best for your dog and your finances.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 11:55 pm

Here's some decent advice~
"One of the strongest voices animal lovers have is their pocketbooks. If you suspect your current pet food company is not honest about the products it sells, switch brands -- or better yet cook for your animals -- and write to the CEO of that company (listed below) explaining why you will no longer purchase their brand of dog food. In your letter, ask the pet food company to:

Define their ingredients, especially "by-products," "meal," and other vague terms, clearly.
List ingredients by volume, not weight, for a clearer idea of the composition of the food.
Change the label so that the "nutritional value" panel realistically supplies details on the food's nutritional value.
Explain the true digestibility of the components listed in the "guaranteed analysis."
Stop using the least expensive products available.
List on the label whether their formulation is variable or fixed.
Provide you with data on safety studies of additives, ingredients, processing, and field trial studies.
Read carefully the information they send you (pet food companies are notorious for sending out only what they want you to know). If they have not addressed your questions, write to them again. Then send a copy of all correspondence to: Pet Food Investigator; Animal Protection Institute; P.O. Box 22505; Sacramento, CA 95822. We will review and collate the information to present a stronger case to the government.

Heinz makes 9-Lives, Amore, Gravy Train, Kibbles 'n Bits, Meaty Bones, Recipe, and Vets. U.S. sales: $1.2 billion.
Write: Anthony J. F. O'Reilly; Chairman, President, and CEO; Heinz; 600 Grant St.; Pittsburgh, PA 15219; Phone: 412-456-5700; Fax: 412-237-7883.

Mars makes Kal Kan, Mealtime, Pedigree, Sheba, and Whiskas. U.S. sales: $678 million.
Write: Forrest E. Mars, Jr.; Chairman, CEO, and Co-President; Mars; 6885 Elm St.; McLean, VA 22101-3810; Phone: 703-821-4900; Fax: 703-448-9678.

Nestle makes Alpo, Fancy Feast, Friskies, and Mighty Dog. U.S. sales: $1.4 billion.
Write: Joe Weller; President and CEO; Nestle USA, Inc.; 800 N. Brand Blvd.; Glendale, CA 91203; Phone: 818-549-6000; Fax: 818-549-5884.

Ralston-Purina makes Alley Cat, Cat Chow Special Care, CNM Clinical Nutrition Management, Deli-Cat, Dog Chow Senior, Meow Mix, Pro Plan, Purina Cat Chow, Purina Dog Chow, Purina Fit & Trim, Purina Hi Pro, Purina Kibbles, Purina O.N.E., and Purina Puppy Chow. U.S. sales: $1.5 billion.
Write: William P. Stiritz; Chairman, President, and CEO; Ralston Purina; Checkerboard Square; St. Louis, MO 63164; Phone: 314-982-1000; Fax: 314-982-2134" and i took this from an older post, so, not certain if the #'s are current.

and info about AAFCO~
Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO)

Who or what is AAFCO? You see it on nearly every bag or can of food you purchase -- "meets the nutritional standards established by AAFCO."

The Association of American Feed Control Officials is a trade association comprised of state government feed control representatives and federal officials as voting members and feed industry representatives as non-voting delegates. This alliance meets annually to determine recommended feed terms such as meat by-products, to set feed control laws which most states strive to adopt, and to set minimal nutritional standards which pet food companies try to meet.

According to a former chairman of the AAFCO pet food committee, "the primary purpose of these regulations and policy statement is to promote a uniform code for the labeling of pet foods." The goal of AAFCO, then, is to standardize feed regulations to make enforcement of claims easier, and subsequently make it easier for the pet food manufacturing industry to sell their goods nationwide.

Unfortunately, this has come down to the FDA, AAFCO, and state feed control departments sanctioning the dubious labeling practices detailed above.

API is asking for changes in the way pet food products are labeled and other questionable practices that under close scrutiny do not hold up. These changes include:

The period and controls used during feeding trials.
Inclusion of multi-generational test requirements.
Less ambiguous feed definitions.
Establishing a by-product nutritional table for use by any and all pet food companies.
The inclusion of representatives from interested animal welfare organizations at all AAFCO meetings. (API has already been invited.)
The development of a system whereby manufacturers can be allowed to make quality statements on grades of ingredients used.
Setting time lines for states to bring their feed control laws in line with at least AAFCO standards.
V. Immediate Solutions
****Your prime concern is (should be) what you're feeding your companion animal. Your three options, ranked from least to best, are: processed pet food by itself; processed pet food supplemented with whole fresh foods; cooking for your companion animals yourself.

Using Processed Pet Food

If you opt to purchase processed pet food, first and foremost, look for foods that go BEYOND the AAFCO standards.

To be considered a balanced food by AAFCO, pet food must meet certain requirements that can be fulfilled either through chemical analysis of food or through feed trials~which is key! "Because the bioavailability of nutrients in pet foods in not known and the requirements for some metabolic states, such as pregnancy and lactation, have not been determined, the gold standard for evaluating a pet food is the performance of cats or dogs fed that food as the sole source of nutrition," write Morris and Rogers. They further relate, "In companion animal nutrition, there is an increasing awareness that nutrition may play a role in the development of certain diseases, but little sound data have emerged." ****Hence the necessity of long-term feeding trials.**** There are a number of areas of nutrition that impinge directly on the longevity and health of companion animals that are not covered in any protocol test. Check the label of the pet food you choose to make sure it states that the food has undergone feeding trials

Chemical analysis of pet food leaves much to be desired and does not take into account how the various ingredients and processing affect the nutritional value of the pet food. "To underscore this point, one veterinarian reputedly concocted a mixture containing the same proportions of protein, fats, and carbohydrates found in a common brand of dog food, by using old leather shoes, crankcase oil and wood shavings." (scarey...)...

Most of all, evaluate the pet foods you're using. Check the label carefully. Investigate the manufacturer's claims. If in doubt, write to the manufacturer as listed above until you are satisfied that you are buying the best food for your companion animals.

Supplementing the Diet

You can also supplement your animal's diet of processed pet food with fresh (raw) vegetables, fruit, and meat. (Cats ingest taurine from meat; a vegetarian diet can supply taurine only if it has been adequately supplemented.) Favorite raw vegetables include chopped parsley, alfalfa sprouts, finely grated carrots, and finely grated zucchini. Favorite cooked vegetables include carrots, corn, peas, green beans, and broccoli.

and based, from a Federal perspective regarding the use of pet food:
***The federal oversight of pet food is insufficient. The feed laws governing pet food were originally formulated for livestock, even though livestock feed manufacturing practices and ingredients are vastly different. Thus, state feed control officials are primarily concerned with livestock. Little attention is paid, at either the federal or state level, to the use of diseased animals in the processed food we feed our companion animals, and because of this newer, stricter standards are being produced, hence newer andmore brands to choose from today.

A paramount question to the federal regulations is why companion animals are permitted to ingest higher levels of preservatives than humans. The argument that these levels were formulated for livestock is highly suspect, since much livestock -- retaining high levels of preservatives in their tissues -- becomes part of the human food chain. (it all goes around)...
^
yeah, why is that????? i guess imo, it pays to be picky.... that's just me tho.... as mentioned, shop around, but TRY to get the best quality you can for your $, as, it MAY save you some health related problems down the road... and therefore, some $
good luck!

and
not to undermine Purina's study, which basically states:
Less is More and goes on to say:
"The study confirms that being at ideal body condition plays a vital role in our pets' overall health and well being. “What pet owners need to learn from this study is that weight gain – whether slight or considerable – can have an impact on health and may even shorten their pets' lives,” says Dan Christian, DVM, executive director of the Purina Pet Institute".
no offense, it's pretty much common sense that if dogs are fed too much, weight gain will be eminent, as will health related issues.
but
"A" for effort on their behalf. ( i still wouldn't buy their food tho)..... Wink

some good reading: http://www.5stardog.com/dog-food.asp
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 12:14 am

Great Posk Suki, I was reading this similar posting online the other week when doing a bit of research as well on different feeds, and it's great advice for someone thinking of switching feed, I'm just reminded of the phrase "don't knock it until you try it" what's good for some doesn't always work for others. I've ppersonally tried most of the so called premium brands out there w/ the exception of Innova and Solid Gold and I can honestly say that honestly I didn't notice a bit of difference in the performance and overall health of any of my dogs as oppose to eating their current feed, that's just my honest evaluation and testing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 3:46 am

alfisher3 wrote:
Purina was the first company to actually do a 15 year study on dogs that's pretty innovative for a crappy dog food company, but again it's all personal opinion, just be sure if you use one of the brands that are higher in protein that your actually working your dog a great deal, just like people and unactive dog eating extreme amounts of protein and not burning off the dog will run into many internal health problems from the load over load of protein. Just remember for the hundreds of brands out there, it's only a handful of companies that make them all that goes for the premium to the store brands. At the end of the day do what's best for your dog and your finances.

Honestly, study or no study, it's like talking out their behinds. Their food, while it used be top shelf many years ago, is now considered heavily sub par. And as to them as being innovative, they've got enough money to blow on studies that they'll never truly utilize in their food. It's more of a "look what we did!" type of thing, in my book. It's the we've got more money than brains theory.

It's also a very well-known fact that corn, wheat and soy are the three most common grains that cause allergies - which is primarily what most of the products that are contained typically within the first three ingredients of most Purina products. Since ingredients are listed by weight, that means a much higher percentage of grain than meat.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 1:08 pm

Your absolutely right their their ingredients on most feeds do suck, it's just weird enough my dogs have honestly done better on their foods than the other supposed premium higher end foods I've tried. Many times when I've tried the higher end food, the case has been they hate the taste and have runny stools. I know that corn and wheat is not a highly favorable choice of carborhydrates as dogs cannot properly digest any complex carbs, but what's the difference in a feed using corn and one using sweet potatoes and apples since all are complex carborhydrates which dogs cannot properly digest???
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 7:16 pm

In a way dogs are like people...you are going to buy the food you can afford and the brand that you like. Are hot dogs good for me..well probably not, but I am not going to stop eating them.
Depending on metabolism, genetics, amount of exercise, etc. different people can tolerate different types of food. Dogs are much the same. No I am not trying to say that dogs bodies use foood the same ways humans do...but...in the grand scheme of things it is much the same.
Did that mak any sense? LOL...
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:10 pm

Wait.. hot dogs aren't good for you??
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:47 am

Suprised me too......
Back to top Go down
Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Prison Blue Pit Bulls

Female Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:46 am

I agree with everyone, all depends on your dog. My first pit was fed something like "Maintain CHunks" something cheap and he made it past 12, never any problems. When my husband and I first got dogs together we fed Pedigree because we thought it was a good brand. Their bowels were fine, but our rednose had a lot of skin allergies.
I feed Pedigree to the boys right now but am going to get on Kirkland when we get low this time, overall they're fine on it but I have noticed that their coats are pretty coarse . Our pregnant girl is making a transition from Nutro Max Puppy to Canidae and if she does well, I may put everyone on it depending on how they tolerate Kirkland.
Back to top Go down
http://prisonbluepitbulls.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy food recomendation.   Puppy food recomendation. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Puppy food recomendation.
Page 1 of 1