Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ROYAL CANIN

Go down 
+2
alfisher3
lovemypits
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 2:01 pm

So what are people's thoughts on this food? I just picked up a bag last night, and the dogs enjoyed their first bowl and there was no stomach irritation from it as of yet. (Harley usually has stomach problems about 1/2 hour after eating if it's going to be a problem for him). Here is the ingredients of the food:

Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, chicken fat, wheat gluten meal, oat, chicken, natural chicken flavor, rice flour, anchovy oil (source of DHA), dried egg product, sodium silico aluminate, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), pea fiber, soya oil, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, potassium citrate, sodium tripolyphosphate, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), taurine*, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2) supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement], choline chloride, DL-methionine, glucosamine hydrochloride*, L-carnitine*, Trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], L-tyrosine, tea (green tea extract), chondroitin sulfate*, marigold extract (Tageteserecta L.), preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of Vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract.

http://www.royalcanin.us/products/productdetail.aspx?ID=33

And yes it's the boxer formula (my dogs are mixed with boxer).
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 6:29 pm

I've heard nothing but good things about the breed specific formula's that Royal Canine produces, I've actually been looking into their GSD formula for my doberman pup, either that or the large breed "28" formula.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 1:18 am

my friend feeds it and he found it is a verry good feed and will not feed anything els. Its a great feed to put some fat on your dog.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 3:59 am

I highlighted the two ingredients that worry me the most.

Beet pulp - with or without sugar - is still incredibly sugar-laden because it is the sugar beat..which is 99% glucose/fructose-type of stuff.

Wheat gluten should be self explaining when it comes down to dog foods - especially considering this company is NOT a US-based or sanctioned company.

There's also an awful lot of rice in there - brown rice, rice (what kind of rice? White/Brewers? - which has no nutritional value), rice flour (again, what kind?)

There seems to also be a crap load of fiber - the beet pulp AND the pea fiber.

All-in-all, it's not the worst food in the entire planet, but it's also not one I'd consider feeding to my pets - boxer or otherwise. It's also considered a 2-star formula on Dog Food Analysis. (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1529)

Quote :
Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, chicken fat, wheat gluten meal, oat, chicken, natural chicken flavor, rice flour, anchovy oil (source of DHA), dried egg product, sodium silico aluminate, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), pea fiber, soya oil, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, potassium citrate, sodium tripolyphosphate, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), taurine*, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2) supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement], choline chloride, DL-methionine, glucosamine hydrochloride*, L-carnitine*, Trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], L-tyrosine, tea (green tea extract), chondroitin sulfate*, marigold extract (Tageteserecta L.), preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of Vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 10:51 pm

^ good post. (X2)
imo, i also feel it's not HORRIBLE food, persay, but it's a tad pricey for what you get. and no offense to the company, i feel it's more of a "selling technique" formulating all these "breed specific" dog foods. dogs are dogs and they have the same basic nutritional requirements. (obviously one dog's needs will vary from another, but i still personally consider it a consumer gimmick basically to suck people in). i mean look at it this way, most dog food distributers (and 5 and 6 star companies/manufacturers) do not formulate "breed specific" feed, and they're on top, for good reason~cuz smart consumers are aware of this.
and i noticed as of late, Royal Canin, has dropped their prices considerably~maybe it's a holiday "thing" or maybe business is not what they anticipated....

for the price, too many fillers, hence allergy causing agents, and there's better feed out there, for your money. just my personal .02, but i'd personally decline on it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 11:45 pm

So what feed is good that is not so expensive? I mean, I live on my own and have my own bills to pay for besides purchasing dog food. The $38 a bag of Royal Canin has been working fine, but I just can't afford a pricier dog food than that. I'm starting to feel as if I can't afford $60 for a bag of dog food, I shouldn't even own dogs...
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:10 am

if it's been "working fine" then why not stick with it then? Wink
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:35 am

I just want to be sure that the food I am feeding will benefit my dogs for the long run. I'm not really into nutrition, or even researching up on it. But I'd like to be sure that what I'm feeding is good for my dogs, and if needed what suppliments I'd have to give so my dogs can be healthy. I do know what works with harley's stomach, and sashas allergies. Those are things I can see with my eyes.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 1:02 am

Well I was recently feeding Exceed Lamb and Rice, and it seem to be working fine with my dogs, but I was calling around to try and find a formula that is more breed specific to dobermans I was able to find a few, but I found something out interesting during my search, I also asked one company what it would take to talk w/ one of the pet food companies and make suggestion about a formulated a breed specific dog food, that's when I was informed that I would need to call 1 of the only 15 actual pet food manufactuers in the United States and submit my idea to their R & D "research and development department". Not to say that all pet food companies are crooks, but to me if there are only 15 manufactuers and hundreds of brands wouldn't it be safe to assume that the pet food that cost $60 per bag and the pet food that cost $15 bag are probably manufactured at the same companies and the ingredients really aren't all that much different, since there are no laws or regulations in the pet food business as there are in actual human food. I also made my business to ask what about those foods that are using human grade meats and grains, what I was informed by the particular rep that I spoke to was that if meat was good enough for human consumption then it would be served on the dinner table not extruded into a dog kibble. I will continue to search and find out more, but I must admit right now I'm in the middle road on the whole pet food thing.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 5:09 am

yeah, the pet food industry is a tricky thing. unless they SOLELY manufacturer pet food, imo, they're questionable at best, as the bottom line is about being profitable.
here is a brief list of who manufacturers what:
Pet Food Manufacturers

The following companies manufacture pet foods under their own labels and private label foods for other pet food companies. This is current as of 5/13/07, but please keep the following in mind:

IMPORTANT: This is a list of manufacturers. They may or may not have had recalls. Check with the companies listed to determine whether or not they've had any recalls. This is merely a list of companies and some of the private labels they manufacture.
Pet food companies quite often use more than one manufacturer, and may manufacture some of their own products as well. To find out exaclty what products are manufactured for the companies listed, contact the pet food companies directly.
Not all brands/companies/manufacturers are listed. Please be patient as we continue to research and add information as we find it.
Information may change, as some companies have stated that they will begin manufacturing their own products or switch to another manufacturer.
IMPORTANT: As with all of the information on this website, please verify this information with the manufacturer, or the pet food company.

AMERICAN NUTRITION
Manufactures wet and dry foods

Foods manufactured:
Blue Buffalo (canned foods)
Breeder's Choice
Canine Caviar (canned foods)
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul (canned foods)
Diamond Pet Foods (wet foods)
Harmony Farms (wet foods)
Kirkland Signature Premium Dog
Mulligan Stew
Natural Balance (baked dog treats)

BLUE SKY PET FOOD (a division of Merrick Pet Food)

Foods manufactured:
Solid Gold Health Food for Pets

CASTLEBERRY'S SNOW'S BRANDS

Foods manufactured:
Natural Balance

CJ FOODS
Manufactures dry and pouch foods
C.J.Foods, Inc.
P.O. Box 348 - North Highway 50
Pawnee City, NE, 68420
402-852-2341 or 785-336-6132

Locations: Bern, KS; Pawnee City, NE

Foods manufactured:
All American Pet Company
Blue Buffalo
Burns Pet Health, Inc.

CHENANGO VALLEY PET FOODS

Foods manufactured:
8 in 1 Ferret
Back to Basics
Drs. Foster & Smith Products
Evolve
Lick Your Chops
Shep
SmartPak

CROSSWIND INDUSTRIES, INC.
Manufactures dry foods

Corp Office:
Crosswind Industries, Inc.
10502 NW Ambassador Drive Suite 220
Kansas City, Missouri 64153
(816) 891-7979 (816) 891-7977 (fax)

Manufacturing Plant:
Crosswind Petfoods, Inc.
402 Hwy K-246
Sabetha, KS 66534

Foods manufactured:
iVet Porfessional Formulas
Kumpi
Nature's Logic

DEL MONTE

Gravy Train (a Del Monte Product)
Jerky Treats (a Del Monte Product)
Pounce (a Del Monte Product)

Foods manufactured:
Dollar General Treats
Happy Tails
Ol' Roy Treats

DIAMOND
Manufactures dry foods

Diamond Pet Foods
PO Box 156
Meta, MO 65058
800-442-0402
Locations: Gaston, SC; Latrop, CA; Lubbock, TX; Meta, MO; Palm Coast, FL

Foods manufactured:
Artemis
Canidae
Kirkland Signature Brand Pet Food
Natural Balance
Solid Gold Health Food for Pets

DOANE PET CARE (MARS PET CARE)
Manufactures dry, semi-moist and soft dry foods, soft treats, dog biscuits.

Foods manufactured:
Albertson's store brand
Bi-Lo store brand
Bonkers cat treats
Bruno's store brand
Food Lion store brand
Trail Blazer dog foods
Kozy Kitten
G. Whiskers cat food
Ol'Roy
Safeway store brand
Wal-Mart store brand
Winn-Dixie store brand

EAGLE PACK
Eagle Pack Pet Foods, Inc.
1011 West 11th Street
Mishawaka, IN 46544.
574-259-7834 or 800-255-5959

Foods manufactured:
Artemis - Holistic Pet Food
Bench and Field
VeRUS Pet Foods

EVANGERS
Manufactures canned foods

Evangers Dog and Cat Food Company, Inc.
221 Wheeling Road
Wheeling, IL
847-537-0102

Foods manufactured:
Artemis - Holistic Pet Food
Blackwood Pet Food
Canidae
Life4K9

MARS PETCARE

Foods manufactured:
Krasdale
Nutro
Red Flanned dog food (a PMI Nutrition brand)

MENU FOODS
Manufactures wet foods

Menu Foods Income Fund
8 Falconer Drive
Streetsville, ON
Canada L5N 1B1
Tel: 905.826.3870
Fax: 905.826.4995
Email: investorrelations@menufoods.com
Locations: Emporia, Kansas; Pennsauken, New Jersey; North Sioux City, South Dakota; and Streetsville, Ontario.

Foods manufactured:
Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Award
Best Choice
Big Bet
Big Red
Bloom
Blue Seal
Breeder's Choice
Cadillac
Castor & Pollux Pet Works
Cats Choice
Companion
Compliments
Co-Op Gold
Demoulas Market Basket
Despar
Drs Foster & Smith
Eagle Pack
Eukanuba
Fame
Feline Classic
Feline Cuisine
Fine Feline Cat
Food Lion
Foodtown
Giant Companion
Giant Eagle
Grreat Choice
Hannaford
Health Diet Gourmet Cuisine
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Iams
J.E. Mondou
La Griffe
Laura Lynn
Li'l Red
Loving Meals
Master Choice
Medi-Cal
Meijer's Main Choice
Mighty Dog Pouch
Mixables
Natura Pet Products
Natural Life
Natural Ultramix
Nature's Logic
Nature's Variety
Neura
Newman's Own Organics
Nu Pet
Nutriplan
Nutro (Nutro Max, Nutro Max Gourmet Classics, Nutro Natural Choice, Nuro Ultra)
Old Mother Hubbard
Ol'Roy Canada
Ol'Roy US
Paws
Performatrin Ultra
Petcurean Pet Nutrition
Pet Essentials
Pet Pride
Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
Precise Pet Products
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority Canada
Priority US
Publix
Roche Brothers
Roundy's
Save-A-Lot Special Blend
Schnucks
Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans
Shep Dog
Sophistacat
Special Kitty Canada
Special Kitty US
Springfield Prize
Sprout
Stop & Shop Companion
Stuzzy Gold
Tops Companion
Triumph
Truly
Wegman's Bruiser
Wegmans
Weis Total Pet
Western Family Canada
Western Family US
White Rose
Winn Dixie
Wysong
Your Pet

MERRICK

Merrick Pet Care, Ltd.
101 SE 11th Ave
Amarillo, TX 79101

Merrick Pet Care, Ltd. (mailing address)
P.O. Box 9800
Amarillo, TX 79105

Phone: 806-322-2800
Fax: 806.322.2824
customerservice@merrickpetcare.com

M. I. INDUSTRIES

MI INDUSTRIES
P.O. Box 29345
Lincoln, NE 68529-0345
Phone: 402-466-8302
Fax: 402-466-5441

Foods manufactured:
Nature's Variety
Honey Creek Farms

OHIO PET FOODS
Manufactures dry foods only

Ohio Pet Foods, Inc.
38251 Industrial Park Road
Lisbon, Ohio USA 44432
Phone: 330-424-1431
Fax: 330-424-1108
info@ohiopetfoods.com

Foods manufactured:
Blackwood Pet Food
Life's Abundance by Healthy Pet Net

PIED PIPER PET & WILDLIFE, INC.
Manufactures dry foods. No Pied Piper products have been recalled.

Pied Piper Pet & Wildlife, Inc.
P.O. Box 309
Hamlin, TX 79520
Phone: 800-338-4610

Foods manufactured:
Canine Caviar
Nature's Variety

SIMMONS PET FOOD
(got this from here: http://thepetfoodlist.com/)

and more info here:
http://www.hoovers.com/pet-food-manufacture/--ID__230--/free-ind-fr-profile-basic.xhtml
i guess for every 10 people you ask, you'll get 10 different opinions. just find what works well for your dog as well as your pocket!

Manufactures canned foods

Simmons brands include:
Twin Pet
Strongheart
kitty
Fit & Active
Healthy by Design

Foods manufactured:
Canidae

SUNSHINE MILLS

Foods manufactured:
Companion's Best
Champion Breed
Stater Brothers
Ol'Roy
Perfect Pals
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:15 pm

Well I just went out and bought something called Natural Balance, from Dick Van Patten or somebody the petsmart rep spoke highly of it "pale " and said it's pretty good and I shouldn't have to supplement while using it "We'll see after a couple months". I wanted to try Royal Canine but the price in my area is a little steep on it, but I heard plenty of good things about it.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 7:40 pm

Good luck with the Natural Balance Ant. As of now my dogs have been doing so well on the Royal Canin. Please keep us updated as to how Zig does on the food.
Back to top Go down
shadowwolf

shadowwolf

Female Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-04-04

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 6:33 pm

alfisher3 wrote:
Well I just went out and bought something called Natural Balance, from Dick Van Patten or somebody the petsmart rep spoke highly of it "pale " and said it's pretty good and I shouldn't have to supplement while using it "We'll see after a couple months". I wanted to try Royal Canine but the price in my area is a little steep on it, but I heard plenty of good things about it.

Don't you mean Petco? Petsmart doesn't sell Natural Balance...

NB is nice, but still not a personal preference of mine.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:53 am

Yup your right it was a petco store rep, but at any rate I took the 33lb bag back to the store, I decided I will continue feeding my larger dogs the Exceed formula, heck if it's not broken no need to fix it right.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 5:27 am

alfisher3 wrote:

i think NB is a decent feed.
and
as it was, they VOLUNTEERED to recall their own food~says a lot to me, in that they stand behind their product. go for it, if your dogs like it and flourish on it..... not a bad buy, imo... i forget who sells it up my way, but it is either Petco or Petsmart...
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 2:43 am

Well... week 3 on the RC. So far my dogs are doing great! Sasha has put on weight and looks healthy, their coats are like velvet, Harley has had zero stomach problems, and Sasha has not experienced any allergy problems. I will def being buying another bag of this.. it is for sure worth the $41 I paid.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 2:58 am

That's great news Kels, I'm definately itching to try the Royal Canine, maybe I'll try my next bag when I run out of the stuff I'm currently using depending if I'm in the mood to spend that money that is LOL. But again glad to hear the dogs are doing well and tolerating the new feed very well it seems.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 3:11 am

You'll have to let me know Ant.. I mean if the Exceed is doing well for Zig might be good sticking with it. I'm pretty sure he'd enjoy the RC though.. Sasha highly recomends it Wink
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Kelly I am glad you have found something that theyare ding well on. On a side note, you shouldn't feel that way about not being able to buy $60 food. Even if I could afford it..I won't buy it. Maybe if Iwas feeding one dog and it would last for 3 months, lol.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks Tami, and so far the dogs are doing the best I've seen them yet. Sasha has not only gained weight, but now that I have started to feed her less food she is maintaining her healthy weight. She also is not having her allergy problems, and Harley still is "regular" and not having any problems keeping it down. Sooo.. two thumbs up for RC-Boxer formula Smile
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:44 am

Glad to hear it. I know hat a pain it is to try and find that one food that they can tolerate and do well on.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 4:04 am

Well... just an update! Sasha is still doing very well on RC. She is looking great.. keeping the weight on.. and both are "regular" if you know what I mean, Which is not easy with Harley's sensitive stomach Smile
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Yeah Harley and Sasha....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ROYAL CANIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROYAL CANIN   ROYAL CANIN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ROYAL CANIN
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Health-
Jump to: