Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Raw

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Raw Empty
PostSubject: Raw   Raw Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:12 pm

This was taken from another site......

I feed raw, the dogs get all parts of the game and I've seen nothing but positives to support the feed.
Dogs aren't designed to digest grains, and a diet heavy in grains can take up to 24 hours to digest while raw meat, only 4-6 hours. 95% of Muscle meat, organs, and bones is digested and used up inside the body.
A dog needs a diet high in proteins, amino acids, enzymes, fat, and fatty acids, moderate in vitamins and minerals, and low in carbohydrates, salt, and sugar.
There are also several high-protein, high-fat and grain-free kibbles I have fed that I supplement with the raw diet.
Keep in mind the following is intended for working dogs so feeding off season and pets will be different. I;ve been haveing to adjust the regular feed for one of my dog's recovering from surgery. All dogs are different, but I've had the best results (endless stamina, real strong immune systems, stronger denser muscles, and real nice teeth) with my dogs on this diet.

Feeding Guide:

Balance: 80-85% muscle meat, 10-15% bones, 5-10% organs. In general, feed an active hunting or stock dog 3% of its body weight daily.

Meat: DAILY servings of raw venison, rabbit, boar, beef, poultry. This can include the bones, muscle meat, organs, connective tissue, brains, and stomach. Serve meat that is high in fat: performance dogs need a lot of fat (and protein) in their diets, so limit the “lean” meats or eat it yourself. You should include 2-3 servings of organ meat (heart, liver, kidneys, etc.) a week.

Fish: 2-3 servings of whole fish a week. Canned fish is good too but not as complete.

Bones: No more than 15% of the overall intake. I feed 5-10% easily chewed bones. Bones or supplement for calcium (bone meal, yogurt, cottage cheese) should be fed every week. Leg and knuckle bones are not considered part of the whole diet, they are more for chewing. Marrow bones are very rich, so limit these.

Eggs: Whole raw egg every other day.

Other: If your dog is not hunting, training, or working in the outdoors regularly provide some plants weekly. Kelp, alfalfa, and garlic can be mixed in fish juice or blood when feeding. If you are limiting eggs and bones, yogurt and cottage cheese can provide the needed phosphorus and calcium. Corn bread and pancakes can provide extra calories that an active hunting dog needs. Most grains aren’t at all harmful if kept in small amounts.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Raw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw   Raw Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:13 pm

here are some good links to get you started if your interested:
http://www.rawlearning.com/
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
http://www.barfworld.com/
http://leerburg.com/feedingarawdiet.htm
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Raw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw   Raw Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 1:54 am

So basically if your dog is not working daily, feeding meat only year round is not the best idea? I see they say to add some plants.. eggs... and fish. Very interesting. Thanks Tami for the good information.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw   Raw Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pit Bull Family :: Dog Discussion :: Health-
Jump to: