Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt

Go down 
+2
lovemypits
Olives Mom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Olives Mom

Olives Mom

Female Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Empty
PostSubject: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi,
I have a 7 year old small staffy/pitty with issues! I socialized her from a young age to get along with other dogs and there were no issues until she was around 4ish. She got attacked by a husky and split her head open. After that she slowly started becoming aggressive towards husky type dogs, and then it eventually spread to all dogs. She plays quite rough, and will run right at a dog at the park and growl and dominate them. If they are a well balanced dog, she will just play with them - but some dogs (understandably) dont like her approach and a fight starts. She ran at another dog on the trail a few monthes ago bit it causing stitches. She has friends that shes known for years that she plays with and there are never any issues - even though they play very rough. I am constantly worried about her when I take her for walks. After she bit the dog, I went and got her a lightweight grill style plastic muzzle - but she HATES it and drags her face along the ground and makes her paws bleed trying to get it off. She will play with it on for a bit but she acts even more aggressive than usual with it on, and even seems to use it as a 'battering ram'. Can anyone help with some ideas of how to control her behavior?? Its very stressful.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 6:01 pm

My first suggestion would be to stop taking her to the dog park. One day she could kill another dog. Okay, that is harsh to say, but you just don't know. I would say around other dogs besides her "friends" keep her leashed. I see you are in Canada, and BSL is already a large problem there. You would hate for something to happen with Olive that would cause the govt. in your area to look into BSL right?

I think you may get some great responses, but in my opinion at her age I'm not sure of what you can do to change her from being dog agressive. Have you taken her to a behaviorist at all?

I have a male that has similar problems. He can play all day long with his sister, and they play ROUGH. I have taken them to dog parks and sasha is so docile (and a fast runner) no other dog there can keep up with her. Harley on the other hand... he tries to chase her, but has a few times been attacked. He was bit by 2 labs, a little black ankle biter, a sheepdog, and full on attacked by a miniture poodle. All of these experiences have tought me that as much as I would love for harley to have as much fun as sasha does... he just can't. I can't take the chance, and don't want to set him up for failure. I can pretty much guarantee had I not called him to me at the exact second the poodle attacked him and grabbed his collar and pulled him off the ground he could have done very serious damage to the poodle. And guess who's fault it would have been? yes, harley's.

So harley stays leashed around other dogs and separated, for his safety and other dogs. I would suggest you do the same. When you walk Olive you have her leashed? Can you walk her without the muzzle but as another dog approaches step to the side? For example, when I see another dog I walk part way up a driveway and put my dogs in a sit till the other dog passes. Is this possible for you?
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 7:01 pm

I would have to aggree w/ the previous comment, is your pitbull is dog aggressive then by all means avoid going to the dog park, unless you have "The Dog Whisper" Cesar Milan to help you out LOL. But seriously most dog parks are a set up for euthanization if your dog shows any aggression, and by you owning a pit bull you have to be twice as cautious as other others w/ say a lab or poodle. Pit bulls have become the victim of a large witch hunt and it seems that any news regarding a pit bull is bad news, and if your dog is attacked and tries to defend itself, then beware that the media and even local animal officers will probably say it's your dog that's at fault unless the other owner can vouch for you. And walking the dog in public w/ a muzzle I would only do that is my dog was Human aggressive, b/c if someone else's dog come and put their body in my dogs mouth while it's on a leash that's not my problem, I say control your own dog as we owners of pit bulls have to do.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 7:07 pm

Good post LMP, that is what I was going to say as well. You have a dog agressive breed and it is not likely you will be able to train her out of that. If there are certain dogs she will tolerate, that is fine, but you also need to be very attentive in that situation. They can turn in a second, even on their very best play buddy. I would defintetly not take her to the park. Take her for walks where she can be alone. If you do take her where there are other people or dogs, keep her away from them. Even if muzzled she can still do damage to another animal.
Back to top Go down
Olives Mom

Olives Mom

Female Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Thanks for the concerns guys! I actually havent taken her to the dog park in years, but when she had the altercation with the other dog a few monthes ago I sought advice from a local pit owner vet. He suggested trying to resocialize her at the dog park under the safety of the muzzle. It didnt work and I didnt feel comfortable becuase of her increased aggression with the muzzle. I now keep her on leash in public, and off leash only when the 'coast is clear'. She still plays happily with her friends - thankfully because it is a great way to wear her out! Im just looking for any advice that might be out there for resocialization. Or to find out if anyone else has a similar behavior in their dogs. Its really nerve racking!
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Resocialization is always an option but I would think you would have to hire a professional that has lots of experience. Just in my own dogs, I have had some that have been together for years and one day decide they are no longer 'friends'. For me it is not worth the risk.
Back to top Go down
Boogieman

Boogieman

Male Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 am

pitmamma wrote:
Resocialization is always an option but I would think you would have to hire a professional that has lots of experience. Just in my own dogs, I have had some that have been together for years and one day decide they are no longer 'friends'. For me it is not worth the risk.
I think "resocialization" is a horrible idea. These dogs don't need a "buddy" to hang out with. If they can get along that's great, but the companionship they truly desire is human companionship. Trying to force the dog to socialize with other dogs is asking for trouble and I would advise against it for sure. The dog is only doing what comes totally natural to it as the APBT has natural dog aggression. Just because it didn't show up till a little later in it's life doesn't make it wrong, or unusual.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but I would keep the dog away from other dogs period if I was you.
Back to top Go down
alfisher3

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 2:45 pm

I'm not trying to sound like the typical pit bull owner that says they can't be socialized w/ other dogs, but boogieman has a great point these dogs are bred to be human companions they were not bred as pack hounds. The dog showing dog aggression is a natural instinct and to try and socialize the dog into a pack mannerism takes away from his natural heritage as a human companion and friend.
Back to top Go down
marlenadee

marlenadee

Female Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 3:37 pm

pitmamma wrote:
Good post LMP, that is what I was going to say as well. You have a dog agressive breed and it is not likely you will be able to train her out of that. If there are certain dogs she will tolerate, that is fine, but you also need to be very attentive in that situation. They can turn in a second, even on their very best play buddy. I would defintetly not take her to the park. Take her for walks where she can be alone. If you do take her where there are other people or dogs, keep her away from them. Even if muzzled she can still do damage to another animal.
Very true! I have an 8 yr old female who plays with the other dogs but if you don't read her body language well you can at any moment be dealing with a full on attack. I don't want that to be displayed in public b/c some will read that as a human aggressive dog as well which is not the case.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=marlenadee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt   Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Socialization help for a 7 year old pitt
Page 1 of 1