Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feb. 27, 2008 Tn Federation Status Report

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rdowsdirectoratlarge

Male Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-10-03

Feb. 27, 2008 Tn Federation Status Report Empty
PostSubject: Feb. 27, 2008 Tn Federation Status Report   Feb. 27, 2008 Tn Federation Status Report Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:42 pm

Thank you Jon for the information:

It has been about 3 week since I last updated everyone on what has been occurring on the Legislative front. I will comment on those bills submitted in 2008, as the 2007 bills have not been active to date.

SB3149/HB2912 Euthanasia of non-livestock animals. This changes the current law from 3 days to 3 business days before an animal can be destroyed. Senate passed 2-11-08. On house calendar for 2-28-08.

SB2676/HB2803 TN Animal Abuser Registration. This creates a centralized record system for animal abuser maintained by TBI.
Passed Senate on 2-25-08. House has it in committee as of 3-5-08.

SB2697/HB2804 Killing animals owned by another. Changes the offense of and eliminates the requirement of intent to deprive the animal owner of the right to the animal’s life. Senate has recommended this for passage on 2-28-08. House has it in Judicial Committee as of 3-5-08.

SB3827/HB3984 Offense of owning a Pit Bull. This is BSL and is a bad bill (includes Am Staffs, Staff Bulls, Am bulldog and anything 50% or more of these breeds). Senate sent it to the Judicial Committee on 1-23-08. House sent it to the Judicial Committee on 2-07-08. So far this bill has not moved. It is important to keep watching this one.

SB3864/HB3697 Animal fighting with minors in attendance. Any fighting prohibited by law would become a class e felony if an adult had a minor at the event. Senate sent to Judicial Committee 1-31-08. House sent to Judicial Committee on `1-31-08. This bill is not moving at this point in time. Appears to be OK.

SB3891/HB3880 Certain animal offenses not eligible for pretrial diversion. Makes violations of aggravated cruelty to animals, animal fighting and criminal offenses against animals ineligible for pretrial or judicial diversion. Senate placed on committee calendar 3-4-08. House to the Judicial Committee on 2-4-08. Appears to be OK.

SB0870/B1168 Chemical capture of companion animals. Authorizes chemical capture of companion animals by certified animal control agencies. Senate Judiciary Committee on 2-27-08. House Budget deferred to 3-12-08.

SB2675/HB2828 Civil liability for injury caused by dogs. Imposes civil liability on the owner for any damages suffered by a person injured by a dog not properly restrained. Senate committee on 1-16-08. House has it on the Calendar for Judicial Committee on 2-23-08.

SB2725/HB2807 Admittance of dogs in outside restaurant dining areas.
Only in cities over 100,000 population. Senate has it on the Gov. Committee calendar for 2-26-08. House has it in the Public Health Committee as of 2-12-08.

SB3926/HB4070 County ordinance for disposition of dangerous dogs. Deals with petitioning the general sessions court rather than the circuit court for the disposition of dangerous dogs. Senate passed on 2-21-08. House sent it to Judiciary Committee on 2-7-08.

SB2707/HB3042 Requirements for dog and cat breeders. Moves “Dealer” from selling 25 animals per year to 50. Eliminates persons from business licenses who sell less than 50 per year. Has civil penalties and violations going from class C to A misdemeanors. Senate - C.L.A. Committee on 1-22-08. House to the Agriculture Committee on 1-24-08. Not moving at this point.

SB3147/HB2914 Requirements for commercial breeders of cats and dogs.
Defines a commercial Breeder as a Dealer who has 20 or more unsterilized adult females for commercial breeding purposes. Will need a business license, have proper facilities, records, vet information, allows animal control to inspect, has proper waste controls and can maintain no more than 50 adult dogs at any one time. Senate – C.L.A. Committee on 1-29-08. House – Agriculture Committee on 1-23-08. Not moving at this point.

I have been working closely with Walt Bebout, AKC Director of Canine Legislation. We have been monitoring the various bills. He communicates back to me if there appears to be a danger in the language of the Bill or Bills. I also monitor the activity of the Bills in each Chamber to determine if it is moving or remaining static.

I received an email that Putnam County (Cookeville) had a proposed ordinance presented by the director of the County Animal Shelter making the owner responsible for a dangerous dog rather than the dog the only criminal. I am supportive of resting the dog’s actions on its owner. This does not mean that a dog may not be put down, but would hold the owner accountable for the actions of the dog. Dangerous dogs can be from any breed, thus eliminating the idea that certain breeds are bad by nature of their type.

On another front, Louisville Kennel Club had a victory on the bad ordinance in their city. The court over turned the original passage of the ordinance because it violated the Open Meeting law.

Our quest for a Lobbyist is going very slowly. I mentioned some time ago that I met with Jay West. Two of our Federation members suggested Linda McCarty. I was to meet with her on 2-25, but she called at the last minute and canceled. She is a retired Lobbyist and seemed interested, but felt that her current client would object to her representing another group. I also met with Wendell Moore on 2-28. His credentials seem to be very strong with a good deal of federal and state experience. At this point Mr. West and Mr. Moore are more expensive than the Federation can afford. We are looking at a minimum of $12,000.00 per year.

On the membership side. We now have 10 Clubs. The latest is the German Shorthaired Ptr Club of Middle Tenn. Welcome. I trust that we will continue to grow. For those individuals on this list whose Clubs’ have not joined, I hope you will go back to them and reintroduce this concept again.

MEETING. I had hoped for some good feedback on the meeting date that I generated in my 2-6-08 status report. Only a few responded. So. The meeting will be held following BIS at the Maury County KC Show on March 22. That show is held at the Williamson County Agricultural Exposition Park 4215 Long Ln, Franklin, Tn. This is the same location as the Nashville/Tullahoma shows. I hope that we can use the room on the second floor for the meeting. If not, we will use the stands. I would like to determine if this Federation is viable. If so, formalize the Group, and elect officers. Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at this meeting.

Thank you

Jon
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1