Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dirty Dog

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
confederatemule

confederatemule

Male Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-05-24

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 12:05 am

I have a two year old (today) APBT. He has got to be the filthiest dog I have ever been around. He dumps around his house. I rake up and carry away. I have been thinking of raking into a pile as far away from the house as he can reach. Maybe then he would go to the pile area. I have also thought of bringing some poop from another dog or two and depositing it at the furtherest point of his run. I don't know?
He pees in his dog house, not on occasion, but regularly, several times a day. Cleaning it is a waste of time.

Out of frustation I just thought I would share this wonderful information.

If anyone has a no cost solution for this problem, I would be glad to read all about it.

Thanks.

BTW...It is the dog in my avatar.
Back to top Go down
kristakmj

Female Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 12:19 am

i was gonna ask is he an outside dog, but i guess he prolly is if you cant train him not to go in his own house, how could you teach him not to go in your house .

I have no ideas, was he in a dirty enviorment when he was a puppy? i have heard they learn those instincts early on from the mom ( to keep den clean ) but i am not sure how true that is.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 12:36 am

He is an outside dog. But he does not pee in the cab of my truck. He was in a clean environment from day one. I put his moms house in a 20x80 pen, they were very clean. He has never been in any kind of small enclosure, like a cage or crate, where he had to be in his own waste.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Female Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 4:51 am

OK, i had a nice long reply for you, but it didn't post and i lost it. Crying or Very sad
so
here's the short version...
ruling out any possible medical problems (sorry, vet tech in me coming out)~
sounds like it's more behavioral. MOST and i'll generalize here, dogs will not soil their bedding or house, tho, if they're not confined to a specified area to deficate and urinate, and since it sounds like he's out probably on a chain, with the ability to have a 360 degree range, length of range based, obviously on length of chain:
he has a lot of space inwhich to eliminate, so to him, it doesn't matter
and
some dogs, intact males inparticular, will territorial mark, both with urine and feces, tho urine marking is more common. sounds like he deems that area as "his" and imo, by adding another dogs' stool to it, it MAY increase his chances of this inappropraite behavior, instead of decreasing it.
if i were you, and it's behavioral, you have to make a correction EVERY time you see him deficate or urinate, in an incorrect area, in order for him to understand it's wrong. sounds like he doesn't know it's incorrect behavior.
you may want to start by completely cleaning his house with a cleaning agent that will completely neutrilize all odors, and then perhaps add some bedding into that house. most dogs will not soil what they sleep on. even cut back on his water, as some dogs will drink more simply due to sheer boredom. more water means more pee.
as far as deficating, if he's pretty much on a schedule as to when he has a BM, you can confine him to a spefified area until he "goes' and then praise him, BIG time to show him you're happy with him doing his business in said specified area. try to do this for several days until he catches on. cuz, until you confine him, again, his range of area may be too large for him to understand your displeasure, and he doesn't even know or understand that what he's doing is displeasing you. he simply knows he has a need, and then, as dogs do, will take care of that.
i personally would isolate him after he eats. let him "go" in a particualr are and praise himlavishly for doing his business where you think he should.
otherwise you'll have to catch him RIGHT in the act, reprimand him for it, and even then all's he knows is that he's gutta go, and for some reason, you're not happy with his choice of area, which may ultimately confuse him even more and add to your already stress....
hopefully this'll help you some.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/suki9259
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks, Kristakmj and Suki, for the suggestions and help.

It is supposed to be severe thunder storms today, and 71 degrees. Maybe the storms will hold off, they have fer the last two days, and I'll clean his house good. Before I put the new hay in, I'll deodorize it.

Are there any suggestions for products to kill the dog smell?

I have been giving this a lot of thought. And this is what I have come up with....this problem is my fault. When I do something with any of the dogs, depending on the dog, I let that dog run on it's own for a few minutes. At this time it visits the other dogs. And even if they are on a leash I will walk them over to the other dogs to visit. At this time my other male does a little marking. The other male lives in a pen so Rebel can mark only along the fence, as you can see in the avatar. Do you reckon the other dog marking his house may be the cause? The other dog does not mark inside nor the doorway, but anywhere else he desires. Rebel marks the doorway, and at the same time the inside, to try to cover the smell of the other dog, I guess. I can stop this very easily.

I remember when Rebel was younger and lived in the pen with another dog or two, he would pee in his food bowl, if I did not pick it up when he finished.

Thanks again, y'all, fer the help, and mind joggling.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 3:07 pm

well, here at work, we use a product called A33, as the clinic i work at, it's also a boarding facility and we can board up to almost 200 dogs a day (and sometimes do, during our "busy season". it's a powdery substance, which comes in these little plastic packages and you mix one of them with a gallon of water. it kills EVERYthing, ...even Parvo, believe it or not. i THINK you can buy it commercially, if not, lemme know, and i can snag a few for yah and mail them your way~no problem.
but that's what i'd recommend. again, not certain how "available" it is, but i'd be happy to send you some. (we have literally buckets of the stuff. i'll check at work today to see where/how it's obtained. will get back to you.
by the way, GREAT pic of you, in the faces thread~so nice to put a face to a name...

again, good luck. sounds like a correctable problem. ttys
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 3:56 pm

It "is" "nice" to be able to put a face to a name. Now I know your face, and Dunlap's, and Marty's, and some others I can look up. I went back and looked up Kristakmj, now I see her whole family, and a nice lookin young family it is.
I just hope that after seeing my face, folks don't start having eye problems.
I can see where some folks might be nervous bout postin their face on the internet, though.

I will call the feed stores and maybe vet's offices to try to find some of the A33. There is a dog pound in Texarkana, I'll call there.
Thanks, a bunch.

suki wrote:
well, here at work, we use a product called A33, as the clinic i work at, it's also a boarding facility and we can board up to almost 200 dogs a day (and sometimes do, during our "busy season". it's a powdery substance, which comes in these little plastic packages and you mix one of them with a gallon of water. it kills EVERYthing, ...even Parvo, believe it or not. i THINK you can buy it commercially, if not, lemme know, and i can snag a few for yah and mail them your way~no problem.
but that's what i'd recommend. again, not certain how "available" it is, but i'd be happy to send you some. (we have literally buckets of the stuff. i'll check at work today to see where/how it's obtained. will get back to you.
by the way, GREAT pic of you, in the faces thread~so nice to put a face to a name...

again, good luck. sounds like a correctable problem. ttys
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 8:33 pm

you're very welcome.
is my pleasure.
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 8:51 pm

suki wrote:
you're very welcome.
is my pleasure.
No one has ever heard of A33 in this part of the world. I called Vet's offices and the animal shelter, no luck.
So...
I emptied the house and washed it with water then soaked it with bleech, let it set a coupla hours and then washed it with water again. It is dryin now.

He may never go in it again. The bleech smell is strong.
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 10:51 pm

confederatemule wrote:
suki wrote:
you're very welcome.
is my pleasure.
No one has ever heard of A33 in this part of the world. I called Vet's offices and the animal shelter, no luck.
So...
I emptied the house and washed it with water then soaked it with bleech, let it set a coupla hours and then washed it with water again. It is dryin now.

It is 4:45pm here and fixin to storm any time, it is already gittin dark and thunderin loudly. The house dried perty good, so I moved it back in place. Because it is 75 degrees out and not gonna git cold tonight, I did not put any bedding in the house. He has not marked it and is in it. Tomorrow I will put new, dry bedding in.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 11:50 pm

confederatemule wrote:
confederatemule wrote:
suki wrote:
you're very welcome.
is my pleasure.
So...

It is 4:45pm here and fixin to storm any time, it is already gittin dark and thunderin loudly. The house dried perty good, so I moved it back in place. Because it is 75 degrees out and not gonna git cold tonight, I did not put any bedding in the house. He has not marked it and is in it. Tomorrow I will put new, dry bedding in.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the help.

ok, i'm now at work and literally looking at the container:
it reads:
Airkem Professional Products, Division of Ecolab Inc.
370 Wabasha Street N., St. Paul, MN. 55102

active ingredients are as follows:
Octyl decyl dimethyl ammonium chloride- 1.536%
Dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride 0.768%
Didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride-0.768%
and then Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 12.288%
Inert ingredients 84.640%
to equal 100.000%

by is put out by ECOLAB.
again, i can send a few packets your way if need be.
we have TONS of this stuff.
it's a detergent, disinfectant/odor counteractant.
maybe this lab has a web site and/or possible distributors listed?

with using bleach, the only draw back, minus the strong smell, isno matter what concentration of bleach-to-water you use, only the outside layer of the item(s) to be disinfected/cleaned will be bound with the chlorine molecules in the bleach solution unless the object is completelysoaked thru. so, use tons of water and bleach and literally soak that house
and as far as the bleach smell existing, no worries with time, it should fade/lessen.
and also
a lot of people don't know this, but unless bleach is kept in a light sensative container, it becomes ineffective.
so if for whatever reason, you may choos to put it in a see-thru container, be sure to wrap a towel or something around that conatiner. otherwise that product, hence your cleaning is useless.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 am

As always, great info Suki, thank you...
Back to top Go down
kristakmj

Female Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 1:31 am

thanks for the compliment confederate

i wonder i know i dont put bedding in the pups crates cause they just go on that and push it to the side. would it be different since hes outside? or is it warm enough that he would be okay for a couple weeks to brerak him from going to the bathroom first ?
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:22 pm

kristakmj wrote:
thanks for the compliment confederate

i wonder i know i dont put bedding in the pups crates cause they just go on that and push it to the side. would it be different since hes outside? or is it warm enough that he would be okay for a couple weeks to brerak him from going to the bathroom first ?

I said I wasn't going to put hay in his house till this morning, but I lied. I went ahead and put it in last night, and I am glad I did. It was cold by 10:00pm. I don't think he has soiled his bedding yet. Maybe cleaning it with bleech helped. I will keep the other dog away from his house.
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:24 pm

Thank you to Suki and Kristakmj for your help and suggestions.
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Well everything was fine yesterday. But not today. He went most of one day without peeing in his front door. And then he lays in it.

I'll have to do some reorganizing, but he is going in the 20'x80' pen, bye himself. Maybe that will help. I can not put him with any other dog. Male nor female.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:06 pm

Dogs can be crazy huh. Good luck Mule...and keep us posted..
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:30 pm

pitmamma wrote:
Dogs can be crazy huh. Good luck Mule...and keep us posted..

They sure can be crazy......and this one is trying to drive me crazy.
Back to top Go down
suki
suki

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 am

confederatemule wrote:
Well everything was fine yesterday. But not today. He went most of one day without peeing in his front door. And then he lays in it.

I'll have to do some reorganizing, but he is going in the 20'x80' pen, bye himself. Maybe that will help. I can not put him with any other dog. Male nor female.

well, that's a start...... Smile baby steps! Wink
Back to top Go down
confederatemule

confederatemule

Dirty Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty Dog   Dirty Dog Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 1:58 am

I hope I got enough steps left in me. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content