Pit Bull Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit Bull Family

A place for ALL pit bull owners to come and socialize.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question for rescue people???

Go down 
+4
mindovermatter
CoolHandJean
Dunlap
pitmamma
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pitmamma
pitmamma

Female Number of posts : 1414
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Question for rescue people??? Empty
PostSubject: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 11:49 pm

I am not trying to start any arguments, this is just some thing I have always wondered about.
When someone has a 'pit' dog they are trying to re-home, they always say they want someone who does not have any other pets. While I completely understand the nature of dog agression, I do not completely understand the reasoning behind this request. If you have someone who has a 'yard' of dogs and many years experience with this breed, why is this person not a suitable home. In most of these situations the rescuer has several dogs at their house with this dog, but will not adopt it out to someone else that has a dog or two or twenty. If I had a dog or pups that I was trying to place, I too would be very selective, but why deny someone that has the experience, the want and the ability to care for this dog.
Like I said, I don't want anyone to think I am trying to start a fight, but I know there are several people on here that do rescues, so they may have the answers I am curious about. Thank you in advance.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:31 am

That's something I've wondered about as well :/...... but the rescue people I've talked to on the net, they dont know why the shelters wont adopt to people like me either lol.

Why choose to adopt out a dog to a "newbie" over someone with experience? THAT is where all of the "pitt bull" attacks come from in the news.....that and all of the BYB morons who dont know what they're doing. "and yes, I mis-spelled pit bull on purpose" Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

Female Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 6:48 pm

I also am not a fan of the new "you can't adopt if it is going to be an outside dog" policy. While I understand that some dogs that are outside dogs are neglected, there are many outside dogs that love to be outside.
Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Well... this is how i understand where these folks are coming from...

they are trying to ensure that the dog that is getting placed is in the best possiable home for the dog.. While someone might have tons of exp in the breed ... anyone can "say" they have that exp with the breed... I agree that this tends to be taken to an extreme when it come to rescue and being able to adopt a dog... sometimes i think that they make it too hard for people to get a dog. I have sent many people to rescues to get dogs only to have them come back to me and tell em that they were denied because they had another dog, or thier yard was not fenced in ....

To defend the rescue people they are just trying to find the best placement for the dogs.

as far as not wanting to place in an outside home ... MANY dogs that have been placed in rescue have had a HARD life and the people that are placing them feel that they deserve to be a member of the family in an inside situation.

Many dogs that are outside can get neglected.. NOT all but many. A large % of dogs taht come to rescues were outside and neglected... so i just believe that the rescue folk are trying to get these dogs into a life that is the lap of luxury.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 pm

I understand that they 'think' they are doing what is best. But, for many rescue people that I have talked to, do not usually take pit type dogs, it just kinda fell in their lap. Like I said, I would trust someone that has 20 dogs and experience than someone that maybe had a dog 10 years ago.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Ok a different senerio. I want a dog, I go to a rescue and I am denied for whatever reason. So I go buy a dog, probably from a parking lot or flea market for $100. Now did that rescue really do right by the dog they were trying to place? Now the dog is still sitting in a kennel in someones garage waiting on that perfect person to come along, if they ever do. I am now in love with this dog and this breed, I want more. So instead of rescueing 10 dogs that need a new home, I have bought 10 dogs from the want ads in the local paper.
I see and hear about this all the time, people would rather adopt a dog and give it a good home, but rescue people feel they are not the right type of person for this breed, when they usually know nothing about the breed themselves, only what they know from the media and feel they are saving the world by finding a good home for Fido.

***For the people on this site that do rescue, I commend you and am in no way putting you down or saying you know nothing about this breed. This has just been my experience from rescue organizations in my area.
Back to top Go down
Sisco's Project

Sisco's Project

Female Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 2:46 am

I have a small rescue out of my home and I do everything case by case. If i have a dog that is well behaved and mellow and a family in an apartment complex that allows pits then they can have that dog provided refrances are good and they have knowledge of the breed. If I had a dog that loved to be outside and a family that had the right home then so be it, but again I would want to make sure the dog's best interest in mind so no people from alaska that want a pit to be an outside dog unless they got a great parka lol.

I don't know if I am doing it right but so far the people who have adopted have been happy. As well as the dogs.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 3:13 am

Sisco it sounds like you are doing it right. I just don't understand why some rescures turn people down without so much as a conversation, based on the typical questions..do you have any other dogs, cats, kids, etc...I know some people just want one and don't really know what they are getting into. Sounds like you are doing a good job.
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 10:12 pm

I agree, Pitmamma. A man on my boyfriend's crew went to get a dog for his family, since their golden retreiver had passed away. This man was a good owner. The Retriever died over old age, and he was denied, because he wanted to keep the dog outside. While I understand an outside dog can be neglected, so can an inside dog. I don't know. It just gets my goat I guess. If they had that same rule, 14 years ago, I would have never been able to adopt Cuddles, and that is a pretty sad thought.
Back to top Go down
Dunlap
Site Owner
Site Owner
Dunlap

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2007-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 11:15 pm

There's just too many people trying to "humanize" animals IMO . . .
Back to top Go down
http://www.pitbull-family.com
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 11:43 pm

Dunlap you may be right. I was reading a different site (boxers). It was a site in the United Kingdom. They were talking about feeding their dogs milk and scrambled eggs with biscuits and gravy. Now I do have a few dogs that eat the leftover table scrapes, but that is so I don't waste it. Now I am not knocking it, I do feed raw a couple of times a week. But raw eggs not scrambled, and surely not biscuits and gravy. And I have always heard cows milk is bad for a dog, why would someone feed it a pint a day, guess milk in the UK is not as expensive as it is here, 4.00 a gallon. Sorry can't have the dog eating better then me, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sisco's Project

Sisco's Project

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 3:21 am

Dunlap I completely agree, now I love my dogs and would never wish them harm in anyway, but with all these idiots humanizing dogs that is why we have so many dogs that are screwed up. If people would just step back and treat them like a dog, ( not a piece of trash) then they would all have a loving companion that is worth sharing ahome with.
Back to top Go down
mindovermatter

mindovermatter

Female Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 3:20 am

I didn't say i agreed 1oo% with the pratices that many rescues go by.. There are some rescues that do the case by case thing and that is great and i wish more would do that... Sometimes i think it comes down to pure laziness on the rescues part or closed mindedness... I do commend them for their part in helping but sometimes they can go WAY over board..

a few years back my dad wanted to adopt a boxer mix from a local boxer rescue.. his dog had passed away of old age, at the age of 17 mind you, 2 years prior to this.. he waited untill he retired from his job so that he would have time for another dog.. well the rescue refused to let him adopt the mix because his one acre yard was not fenced.. he informed them he was willing to put up a fence to have the dog and that just was not good enough for them.

so he went to the local shelter numerous times and got his mix Lucy that he has today.. he went back there once a week for 3 weeks to see what dog was there the longet during that time and she won.. LOL
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm

I think case by case is the way to go. It is just so sad to me that there are so many dogs in rescues that need a home and people willing to give them a home, but are denied. So they go buy one at Wal-Mart for $100. So now instead of a dog that really needed a home it is still at the shelter or rescue.
Back to top Go down
sedaliapridekennels

sedaliapridekennels

Male Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 4:23 pm

here is another situeation i have seen with rescue. My friend went to the animal shelter to rescue a dog. Well they wanted $75 for the rescue. My friend was willing to pay $25-50 didn,t have any more money to do a resuce. Well they would not rescue the dog out for less than that. So It was a few days later they put the dog down because they could not find a home. It just irritates me they are more willing to put the dog down than placing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sedaliapitbulls
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 7:47 pm

I hear ya. I understand why they charge a small fee; shots, worming, spueter. But I have also seen some rescues charge like $250-500. That is insane, you can go buy several for that price. I have always considered opening my own pit rescue, but to get a 501 3c, they do pop in visits and such and I just don't know about that.
Back to top Go down
Sisco's Project

Sisco's Project

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 4:11 am

Het pitmamma if you figure out the 501 3c thing let me know, I was thinking of sighing up for something like that, but do not want to much gov't people in my business. My fee is $140-$175 is this high?? I pay my vet out of pocket and only get a 20% so I am losing more then making anyways, but was wondering if this stops people from adopting from me. But at the same time i don't want it so cheap I draw the wrong crowd.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 1:52 pm

A women I talked to last year, had just received hers, she said she had to apply and she got a temp. license. They came out and did inspections every 4-6 months and inbetween the inspections she had to provide them with tons of paperwork. Vets statements, references, I don't remember everything she said. Then ater I think 18 months of this, if you have passed everything you get your permanent license. I will see if I can find some more exact info.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Sisco-start here, then at the top of the page it gives links to other info for not-for-profits. Like filing taxes and everything you might want. Hope this helps

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=96122,00.html
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Admin
Admin
lovemypits

Female Number of posts : 1708
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 5:40 pm

That's nice of you Tami to provide that information. I was quiet surprised to find that Taydom pays out of her pocket to care and vet these animals. That shows dedication to the breed for sure!!
Back to top Go down
Masterpiece

Masterpiece

Female Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2007-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 5:51 pm

sedaliapitbulls wrote:
here is another situeation i have seen with rescue. My friend went to the animal shelter to rescue a dog. Well they wanted $75 for the rescue. My friend was willing to pay $25-50 didn,t have any more money to do a resuce. Well they would not rescue the dog out for less than that. So It was a few days later they put the dog down because they could not find a home. It just irritates me they are more willing to put the dog down than placing it.

i agree the humain society is worse at that they want $65-75 for an adoption fee... if some one is more then willing to take the dog why not give it to them instead of putting it down... is it because they want that attention of "having to put all these homeless animals dowm" ? so more and more people will donate money to them and they have that public eye off wow all these dogs are put down each year because of over population...? so we should give them money right.... ?

ok well anyway i think strongly that the County Pound and Humain Society is a BUISNESS... and nothing more they just get money handed to them because we all feel bad, and they want there money...
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/midisandvictor
pitmamma
pitmamma

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 6:46 pm

The good thing about the 501 3c is, you can take tax deductable donations and sometimes you can find grants. And for someone trying to run a rescue, not a business, this can be a great help. Paying out of pocket is tough, maybe if you were able to get the 501 3c, your vet would give a better discount. With it you are also able to pull dogs out of the pound right before they are euth, even if they are not dogs the pound would let out. Like in Tulsa, they will put down any dog that they even think might have 'pit' in it, but with the 501 3c they will release them, strange?
Back to top Go down
CoolHandJean

CoolHandJean

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Back when I adopted Cuddles, it cost us $50.00, but now, I was looking at the shelter site and they are charging 150 and up for the dogs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for rescue people???   Question for rescue people??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for rescue people???
Page 1 of 1